Version 2.2.1 bug-fix update released

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm confused:
1) LinnStrument has no mod wheel.
2) I don't know what a ghost message is.
3) You are describing the problem in terms of the sound of a filter in a different product.

Perhaps it would be better if you would describe your perceived problem in terms of:
1) What your LinnStrument settings are and therefore which MIDI messages you think it should be sending,
2) What messages you are seeing arriving at your computer by using a MIDI monitoring application, and
3) Why you think the received messages are different than what you think it should be sending.

Roger, My apologies for my lingo:)
...and a resistance to use a computer as any part of my "debugging" process.:) If there was a few more users using the LS with multiple synths on multiple MIDI channels ... you'd receive this from more than one person. :)

So here we go:
1- Modwheel -> Y axe assignment
2 - A ghost message -> a message that should not be generated in this case by linnStrument
3- There is a reason why I chose the "filter Cutoff" mapping/CCmessage on a "Different product". In this case I don't need to hook up extra piece of equipment to describe my problem. Sorry I don't ever hookup LS to a computer. The filter Cutoff MIDI CC message is easy to hear if it arrives on the destination synth without a need to download/install a MIDI monitoring software...

1. "What your LS settings are" ?:
A typical settings.. I'll mention a few that could affect this:
MIDI MODE-> one channel
Tymbre/Y -> On and Relative (Set to non standard value so blue light is on in the 4th row, I think(!) this is the issue that LS sends this message right before you change the MIDI channel)
I'm not using the split mode either
BUT(!)(!) I use the sweet function of the LS that let me change the "per split setting" without need to toggle to that page. Meaning I hold the "Per split Setting" button down (that brings the setting page) and then I change the MIDI channel with a pad..so another possibility for the well hidden nasty bug.

2. "What messages I see" ? I Don't see message, I hear the "message" it easy to hear when cutoff on the receiver device changes.

3."I think..." ? no, I know that The LS should not send any CC message when I press the pad on the the LS "Per split setting page" to change a MIDI channel. I think we could agree on this>:)

Thanks for your time Roger!

I'm not sure I agree.

The LS resets the CC/PBs when you change channel, for one channel this is for the previous channel and the new channel. For the Multi channel modes it does it for every channel that is selected.

This seems to make total sense to me.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hi funktree,

LinnStrument is a MIDI controller, not a complete musical instrument. Buying a LinnStrument is a little like buying a car without an engine, in a world where everyone already has their own engines. In other words, LinnStrument does not produce sound but rather produces MIDI data.

So when you tell me that you don't know what MIDI messages you're sending but there must be a software bug because your filter sounds wrong, it is difficult to know how to help you. To continue the metaphor, it's a little like buying a car without an engine, then installing a huge gas-guzzling engine, then when the gas tank empties quicker than expected, you tell the car maker "I've discovered a bug in your car's gas tank."

It's actually simple to connect your LinnStrument to a computer, run a MIDI monitoring application, then do the actions you're describing and watch which MIDI messages are sent. It may surprise you to learn that this is actually normal behavior for someone who buys something called a MIDI controller. Even people who don't like to use computers can do this. But you seem to feel it is my job to guess what you're unwilling to learn on your own about MIDI.

The other thing that makes it difficult to want to help you is that even though you refuse to give adequate information about the problem you are experiencing, you start by insisting that the product is at fault. Wouldn't it be better to start by simply asking why the problem is occurring?

Regardless, I will now try to guess what is happening and I think I have an idea. You mentioned that while in One Channel mode, changing the MIDI Channel in Per-Split Settings causes "ghost messages" to be sent. I think your confusion may be due to the fact that whenever you change the Split's MIDI channel, four messages are sent: a zero-value Pitch Bend message and zero-value Y-axis message (whichever message you are using for Y-axis, default is C74) are sent over both the previous and newly-selected MIDI channels. Why? Given that MIDI synths retain the last received non-zero MIDI message value, it is important to be a good MIDI citizen and clear any non-zero values. This will avoid leaving the synth in a transposed or otherwise unexpected state for future use, and also to clear any retained values on the new channel that may have been previously received by a bad MIDI citizen.

Hopefully I guessed correctly. If so, then in future may I suggest the following approach to asking for help?:

1) Describe the problem with sufficient information so that I can help you.
2) Instead of starting by blaming, start by asking a question.

One final request: could you please email me at the support address to let me know your serial number and name? This will allow me to better understand how to help you if I receive a support email from you in future. And if you haven't registered, please do so and I'll send your free Bitwig license.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”