some thoughts about pitch bend after playing the Linsstrument 5 times.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have learned to set my virtual instruments to bend range of +-24 - I can do this in Alchemy. Sculpture only would let me to 12 up and 24 down. Same settings in the Linns.

I still have to get used to how pitch bend sounds from note to note. I really like the vibrato effect but in moving from note to note I'm experiencing kind of extra sounds like if the notes are put on top of the others - I can't explain any better but in any case it doesn't sound like moving the fingers on a bass neck.

Also when gliding the finger from one note to another (say A to E), then lifting the finger and pressing E again, it sounds like the legato from A to E is done again, just at a very fast pace. This happens in two presets in Alchemy: Synth Bass Perfection and Dusty Record Synth, both modified to a pitch bend range of +-24. It doesn't happen on Roger Linn's preset Upright Jazz Bass.

I was thinking on Moog's Animoog iOS app. The keyboard has this nice feature that allows to adjust the amount of glide from one note to the next, kind of being able to adjust how deep the frets in a guitar are.

I don't know if this is a question or just sharing some thoughts but if you had some comments on how to make this glides sound more "natural" I would appreciate it.

Hi tiantong,

* In Alchemy and Sculpture, click the little triangle in the lower left corner to see controls for Logic’s MIDI Mono Mode, which is what they call MPE. There you can select bend ranges of 24 or 48. This is explained further in the Recommended Sounds page.

* Regarding the problem you’re experiencing, send a brief video demonstrating it to the normal support email, and I’ll let you know what’s causing it.

* Regarding the fast pitch slide, this can occur in Logic’s and some others’ synths, caused by the pitch of a synth voice quickly jumping to its new pitch from the previous pitch of the same voice. If your sound does not have a long release, this can be fixed by turning on LinnStrument’s Reset On Release feature, described on the Panel Settings page, Per-Split Settings tab, then search the page for “Reset On Release”.

* There is no need for Glide on LinnStrument. Glide is merely an old trick used to work around the limitations of MIDI keyboards’ on/off switches. When using LinnStrument, Glide should be turned off in order to avoid delays to your pitch gestures.

Thank you for owning a LinnStrument.

Roger_Linn wrote:Hi tiantong,

* In Alchemy and Sculpture, click the little triangle in the lower left corner to see controls for Logic’s MIDI Mono Mode, which is what they call MPE. There you can select bend ranges of 24 or 48. This is explained further in the Recommended Sounds page.
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the quick response. I saw this the day I ordered the Linnstrument but I couldn't remember where. This and giving the sound a longer release has solved the problem.
Roger_Linn wrote: * Regarding the fast pitch slide, this can occur in Logic’s and some others’ synths, caused by the pitch of a synth voice quickly jumping to its new pitch from the previous pitch of the same voice. If your sound does not have a long release, this can be fixed by turning on LinnStrument’s Reset On Release feature, described on the Panel Settings page, Per-Split Settings tab, then search the page for “Reset On Release”.

* There is no need for Glide on LinnStrument. Glide is merely an old trick used to work around the limitations of MIDI keyboards’ on/off switches. When using LinnStrument, Glide should be turned off in order to avoid delays to your pitch gestures.
Noted!
I was thinking that not everything has to be MPE? There are some piano and percussion/mallet sounds that don't need to be pitch-bended; maybe a bit of aftertouch, some y-modulation to give it some movement...
Roger_Linn wrote: Thank you for owning a LinnStrument.
Thanks to you for making it :)

You're very welcome, tiantong. And yes, it is correct that MPE isn't necessary for use with LinnStrument. I've written about this on the FAQ page, General tab, fourth FAQ from the top:

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-faqs.html

Return to “Roger Linn Design”