iPad or Mac for the Linnstrument?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For me the iPad makes the difference by providing us with just enough MPE-capable synths in the world, I wouldnt be so happy with my Linnstrument (and Roli stuff too) if I didnt have an ipad.

As for new mac launches, I'm waiting till the macbook and mac mini are refreshed before making my next purchasing decision. One or both of those should be updated in September or October. If I wanted a Macbook Pro then I wouldnt wait since those have already been updated.

As for new ipads, I am not 100% sure that they will be updated on Wednesday, its possible we might have to wait for the next Apple event for those too.

BobDog wrote:
I would spend the money on the Linnstrument :)
It's done!
Waiting :ud:

Nice :)

The Linnstrument is a great bit of kit, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

I usually find issue with most equipment I buy but the Linnstrument has been nothing but joy.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

^This!

My life is plagued with troubleshooting gear. It's my job. I can't remember the last time I bought a piece of high-tech kit that I didn't find a critical bug in within hours of turning it on. The LinnStrument, however, is a joy. It does everything it's supposed to do, and does it well. It seriously sits at the center of my live rig like a stress-relieving ray of sunshine. And it has opened up my synths to the kind of expressive playing that I could previously only expect from my guitars.

Thank you, Roger Linn!

+1
Best buy I have done in years. Pure joy...

It's funny, I come on this forum about once or twice a day, and sometimes find myself disappointed that there's so little happening. Then I realize it's because we're all just happy with our LinnStruments. It's novel, right? As apposed to, say, checking the Dave Smith forum in vain, every day for years on end, demanding bug fixes (wink).

Ah yes, I remember a time when I would purchase a piece of gear, leave the store, and never look back... (sigh).

The world needs more Roger Linns. May he always be the methodical and accountable one-man show he is now. The man's business practices are a breath of fresh air.

Cheers!
Last edited by John the Savage on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+1

The Linnstrument is maybe the most painless piece of gear I ever bought... both in terms of reliability, but also in terms of ease of use and needing the least amount of mental space to use. I so appreciate that there is not some complex computer app for configuration (which would inevitably be buggy)

iPad!!!!

Speaking of dave smith, I'm still crossing my fingers for that mpe enabled tempest 2, or mpe anything really.

But I feel the same way, I'm in love with this thing. The only thing I'm wishing for music wise these days is more time to practice.

I have a feeling the next DSI synth will support MPE.

I would love them to update the P12 for MPE though, that would be a nice present.

UnWorldly wrote:Speaking of dave smith, I'm still crossing my fingers for that mpe enabled tempest 2, or mpe anything really.
Given the sentiment of this thread, I find this statement somewhat ironic (smirk).

After the Tempest fiasco, why anyone would spend their hard-earned on another DSI drum machine is beyond me. Hell, even the sequencers on their synths have sync issues; never mind how many of their boxes have been retired before ever receiving a final bug-fix.

If you're holding out for a forward-thinking, comprehensive drum machine with MPE capability, Roger Linn is currently working on the LinnDrum 2.0. Sufficed to say, I know where I'll be putting my money next. Vote with your wallets, folks... Seriously.

Cheers!

The Tempest is a great machine, what fiasco?

Hey, I've had a Tempest since its inception, and I still use it nearly every day. But I also haven't forgotten just how close it came to becoming abandonware, and how hard I personally fought on behalf of the community to hold DSI accountable to their promises and get the damned thing fixed. Years, Bob... Years! And still there are issues with it, never to be fixed.

I also remember the company's flippant attitude and relentless sales spraff, despite the nearly one thousand users who signed a petition demanding that several dozen critical bugs be addressed, and the many efforts made by DSI to censor us toward the end. As a result, I will never purchase another DSI/Sequential product again.

But that is neither here nor there. My point was only that Roger Linn is currently working on the very drum machine that UnWorldly is holding out hope for, and that it is somewhat ironic to cite the Tempest, of all products, in a thread wherein people are praising the LinnStrument for being so well-designed and well-supported.

So again, many thanks to Roger Linn for being so thorough and accountable to the products he single-handedly brings to market. That's all I'm saying.

Cheers!

Thanks, John and BobDog, for your kind words.

John the Savage wrote:Hey, I've had a Tempest since its inception, and I still use it nearly every day. But I also haven't forgotten just how close it came to becoming abandonware, and how hard I personally fought on behalf of the community to hold DSI accountable to their promises and get the damned thing fixed. Years, Bob... Years! And still there are issues with it, never to be fixed.
Ah yeah, I forgot about all that, was it you and Roger that sorted out the update?
I also remember the company's flippant attitude and relentless sales spraff, despite the nearly one thousand users who signed a petition demanding that several dozen critical bugs be addressed, and the many efforts made by DSI to censor us toward the end. As a result, I will never purchase another DSI/Sequential product again.
DSI Have always been pretty good to me and I like their gear, I had a run in with one member of staff (I bet you can guess which one) which made me hang up my moderator hat on their forum but apart from that I am a fan, even with the Tempest!
But that is neither here nor there. My point was only that Roger Linn is currently working on the very drum machine that UnWorldly is holding out hope for, and that it is somewhat ironic to cite the Tempest, of all products, in a thread wherein people are praising the LinnStrument for being so well-designed and well-supported.

So again, many thanks to Roger Linn for being so thorough and accountable to the products he single-handedly brings to market. That's all I'm saying.

Cheers!
And who wouldn't want a Linndrum II, that one is news to me!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”