LinnStrument Firmware 2.2.0 is released!

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

so, after updating to 2.2.0, when playing two adjacent pads in quick succession, the linnstrument would interpret these notes as a pitchbent single note about 20%-30% of the time. Downgrading to 2.1.0 helped, but deleted all of my settings. Do you think it's possible to fix this issue? Or is there an error on my part? I'm afraid it's kind of weirdly unplayable at 2.2.0 for me right now.

It could be a few different things. Could you send a brief video demonstrating the problem to the support email? And let me know in the email if it occurs only on 2 specific note pads or on any note pads.

I would so like to have a new Y axis option. I often want to set the Y axis to absolute mode so that the Y value depends on initial pad position that is played. But then I don't want subsequent subtle movement of the played pad to change the initial Y value.

This would be sweet for plucked string sounds (and other stuff too). It fits the focus of the Linnstrument as a players instrument and it adds something that cannot be done currently.

Hi px,
I think you’re asking to be able to send Initial Y position (on the strike) only, and not send continuous Y position (movements after the strike). Is this correct? And you want this, for example, for plucked string sounds in which the pick position determines the tone only at the strike?

I could imagine to send this „on strike position“ on a seperate midi controller, and I would like to have as well a separate information about the row a note is sent... Then I could differentiate the different „strings“ a note is played on as well. Both would enhance the space of control quite a lot...
(It should be optional, as it would add to the amount of information which is sent...)

Regarding sending a message to identify the row, the Channel Per Row mode already provides this function so I don't see the need to add a redundant method, especially considering that adding a new message before the start of each note would add unnecessary delay.

Regarding the Y axis issue, I can see the merit in adding a switch between sending Y-axis information on "strike only" or "continuous", for the musically-useful example I gave: determining the pick position on a string without subsequent continuous movement, something that cannot be done in the sound generator. I will add this to my list of future software additions and thank you for your suggestion.

Roger_Linn wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:50 pmRegarding the Y axis issue, I can see the merit in adding a switch between sending Y-axis information on "strike only" or "continuous", for the musically-useful example I gave: determining the pick position on a string without subsequent continuous movement, something that cannot be done in the sound generator. I will add this to my list of future software additions and thank you for your suggestion.
Yes, that is what I was asking for. Absolute Continuous and Absolute Strike Only

We currently have Absolute Continuous. With the pads being so small (compared to the Rise Y axis for example), if I want to have a large range for controlling the initial pluck sound, then the slightest Y axis movement of the finger after the initial strike easily modulates the sound which is bad for plucks.

It is challenging enough to strike the small pad where I want on the Y axis while playing. It is an additional level of difficulty to not create any subsequent modulation.

Thanks for considering the feature... it would make a difference for expressive playing so pertinent to the core purpose of the instrument.

I’ve added it to our list to future software improvements, though I can’t say when it will be done. Thanks for the good suggestion.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”