Bitwig 2.4 MPE fixed?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MPE script for linnstrument still the same:

1. Sets PB to 1 or 24 randomly. From what I gather it probably should set it to 24.

2. Only works at 24PB, other ranges do no work.

As far as I can tell from BW it is only meant to work at 24 and is not a bug, so this will not get "fixed".

Pitchbend data on track still left behind when you delete track, next time you record on track this PB is played back causing mayhem. This is still there, BW say it has always been like this so I guess this will not change. Makes recording to tracks useless, clips work fine as they delete the PB data when you delete them.

Only recording half PB range on normal midi devices on OS X has been fixed :)

Playing the same note twice doesn't work in MPE mode for me, the second time you play the note the first is cut off immediately. In non-MPE mode it works fine.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

pdxindy wrote:
BobDog wrote:Nice one, I will email as well, the more the merrier.
Fixed in beta 3!!
I spoke too soon... it is working correctly now for Bitwig synths. But VST's... for example, the u-he synths still have the same problem. The u-he synths work as expected in Logic. I sent in another bug report.

If you don't use the MPE stuff in BW and just use normal pitchbend rather than note expression it all works perfectly with duplicated bent notes with multiple channels!

pdxindy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
BobDog wrote:Nice one, I will email as well, the more the merrier.
Fixed in beta 3!!
I spoke too soon... it is working correctly now for Bitwig synths. But VST's... for example, the u-he synths still have the same problem. The u-he synths work as expected in Logic. I sent in another bug report.

Yes, I am still having that issue as well with VSTs. Otherwise, the main problems I was having with using the TEControl and Leap Motion with Swam instruments and the Linnstrument have been resolved in this release.

Pdxindy has explained to me on the BW forum how the linnstrument/MPE setting in bitwig works so I thought I would post it here as well so others can understand.

The linnstrument script first of all expects that the Linnstrument PB range is set to 24. It should set this automatically but for me this doesn’t always work. So check it is at 24.

The MPE setting on the device you are using should be set to the half the PB range of the plugin you are using and NOT to the PB range of the linnstrument. This is where we have been going wrong.

So if you say have diva loaded with the PB range set to 24 (-12 to +12) then set the MPE PB in bitwig to 12 and everything then works as expected as long as you always keep the linnstrument set to 24.

Its almost as that. As Bitwig wants to deal with real pitches, there needs to be an internal standard for pitch bend that calculates the correct pitch value. That is set to 48. In their Linnstrument script they made the assumption its standard is 24 which is a good one, because setting the Linnstrument to 24 is easier than to set it to 48...
Now comes the good part. You do not need to change the Linnstrument PB ever, you can correct in Bitwig the VST behaviour to its max bend range. The inspector where you set it isn’t easy to find, its not the one where you set that “force MPE” mode. If you click on the device you will get a setable pitch bend range which you should set to the max of your synth. That is a part of the UI which is not clear enough and should be made better... But most importantly it works! Now the only issue remaining to be fixed is the multiple notes for,the same pitch/key...

Tj Shredder wrote: Now the only issue remaining to be fixed is the multiple notes for,the same pitch/key...
Wasn’t this fixed in beta 3? It was in the notes.

Still switching of the first note when playing another one with the same midi note. But they work on it. Its not a show stopper...

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote: Now the only issue remaining to be fixed is the multiple notes for,the same pitch/key...
It now works correctly for Bitwig synths... but not for the VST's...

Bitwig has confirmed the bug and it will be fixed...
Last edited by pdxindy on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've just tested BW beta 3 and the "PB>Expression" field in the track inspector is the only problem still remaining that I can see. It seems to work only on the MPE Main Channel (1) and not on the Per Note channels (2+) as it should.

Here's a little help in understanding what Bitwig is trying to do. All other DAWs display Pitch Bend data as an arbitrary (non-pitched) continuous value disconnected from the note(s) it is affecting. By comparison, BW displays this Bend data as absolute pitches, and associated with the affected note, which is far more useful.

In order for this feature to work, BW must know the Bend Range of the MPE controller. It does this with the "PB>Expression" field, viewed in the left pane when you select the track, and this is automatically set to 24 when you select LinnStrument as your MIDI controller. (This automatic behavior may been defeated in the Settings/Controllers window by turning off "Send Initialization messages".

And if an external plug-in synth is used, BW must also know its Bend Range. To enter this, you must select the instrument in the lower pane, which will cause the "PB Range" field to appear in the left pane.

This adds a little confusion but once you understand it, I think it's a small price to pay for BW's far more useful Pitch Bend editing.

One thing that seems to have regressed is the Channel is not retained in MPE mode, pretty sure this worked in the last beta.
Last edited by BobDog on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're right-- I just verified that. I'll report it to them.

pdxindy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
It now works correctly for Bitwig synths... but not for the VST's...

Bitwig has confirmed the bug and it will be fixed...
Fixed in Beta 4... also the hardware instrument device can send MPE out now too (haven't actually checked, but it is mentioned in the changelog)

pdxindy wrote:fixed is not quite the right word... it has not been broken up until now... with Bitwig 2.4 MPE support will now be fully implemented. Bitwig will then be my favorite MPE Daw!

Also, in 2.4 the Bitwig Sampler is getting major improvements, including granular, so it will be an impressive MPE instrument!

Combine that with the u-he synths steadily getting full MPE support and MPE stuff is looking really good.
What is different about the MPE that "Force MPE" didn't take care of? Also, I saw 2.4 Beta 4 was released and HW Instruments can now use MPE. Someone with Bitwig and Novation Peak please tell me if they can force MPE on it so you can use 1 key per voice.

Unfortunately, this latest build has regressed in terms of the way it handles the TEControl BBC2/Swan combination. Although I might be the only Bitwig user who cares about that!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”