Bitwig 2.4 MPE fixed?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BobDog wrote:So really what I am saying is that all I want is BW to be able to record multi channel midi and pass it through to plugins or hardware without changing it.

I want it to attach midi data (cc, after touch, Pb etc) on the same channel to notes on the same channel. So if I move that note the attached midi data moves with it.

As it stands BW can not do this.
Bitwig changes pitchbend data so their own method of editing works... they are not going to change that. If you don't like that, you'll have to use another DAW.

If you move a note in Bitwig, Pitchbend, Timbre, Pressure, Velocity, Release Velocity and Pan all move with it.

Hi bobdog,

To be candid, I almost never edit sequence data, primarily because I learned to play before such capabilities existed. But a lot of people say they like this tedious form of editing, so I try to respect their opinion. Someone once mentioned a quote supposedly attributed to Quincy Jones, something like “editing sequence data is like painting a 747 with a Q-Tip”. :)

If Bitwig would in addition to all other expressions attached to a note simply store the Midi channel as if it was an expression, it would be easy to translate back to the original Midi. Should not be too hard to implement... VST 3 has 8 note expression slots...

pdxindy wrote:
BobDog wrote:So really what I am saying is that all I want is BW to be able to record multi channel midi and pass it through to plugins or hardware without changing it.

I want it to attach midi data (cc, after touch, Pb etc) on the same channel to notes on the same channel. So if I move that note the attached midi data moves with it.

As it stands BW can not do this.
Bitwig changes pitchbend data so their own method of editing works... they are not going to change that. If you don't like that, you'll have to use another DAW.

If you move a note in Bitwig, Pitchbend, Timbre, Pressure, Velocity, Release Velocity and Pan all move with it.

Only if you have an expressive controller, which may change the data you are recording.

BW Support told me that if I want to make sure that the midi data was not changed I needed to use a non expressive controller (a generic midi script), if you do this everything works perfectly until you want to edit as BW does not change controller data to keep step with the notes, if you move a note nothing else moves with it, if you delete a note the controller data for that note gets left behind, if you delete a clip all of the controller data gets left behind.

This was the point I was trying to make.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Roger_Linn wrote:Hi bobdog,

To be candid, I almost never edit sequence data, primarily because I learned to play before such capabilities existed. But a lot of people say they like this tedious form of editing, so I try to respect their opinion. Someone once mentioned a quote supposedly attributed to Quincy Jones, something like “editing sequence data is like painting a 747 with a Q-Tip”. :)
I usually only edit timing data, just shifting a note a little one way or another to make up for some sloppy timing, sometimes I will edit velocity and rarely I might scale another controller.

I understand pdxindy when he says that in BW you can easily edit/create the pitch data, BW is designed for micro-editing and tinkering, the whole system is fantastic including all the modulation stuff and the whole way you can build very complex devices and automation.

For me it is just lacking from the players point of view, for midi this is recording exactly what is sent to it, for audio it is multiple takes and comping. If they could get this sort of recording thing right It would be a fantastic tool.

Sometimes I wish BW was just available as a plugin to use in other DAWs, like NI Machine. Then you could get all the great features and use the parent DAW for all the rest.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Just wanted to report for the one or two folks that might be interested, the lastest build (ver. 5) seems to work fine with the SWAM/TEControl combination that I had been having trouble with.

So from a performance angle, which was the reason I got Bitwig (I intend to stay with Reaper for recording), all the issues that I have had with it have been resolved. At least for now.

Using Bitwig 8-Track 2.4.3, when I loaded LinnStrument MPE Voice 2, I got a message that I had exceeded the limitations of Bitwig 8-Track so Bitwig Studio was running in demo mode and save was disabled. Bitwig support said that was due to a modulator using something that's not supported in 8-Track. They promised to fix that in the Essentials package eventually, in the meantime they gave me this modified preset:

http://lauriston.com/LinnStrumentMPEVoice2.zip

Return to “Roger Linn Design”