Make the rubber nice and smooth again

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone
recently, after 6 months of almost-daily use, i started to feel the rubber a bit less smooth. I mean, it's still perfectly smooth, but i feel more "friction" when sliding. Maybe it's autosuggestion but the keys i play less (the ones on the perimeter) feel smoother.
Is it just my brain? if not, Is there a way to reduce the friction? I tried to clean it with soapy water and a toothbrush but didn't change that much. I was thinking maybe brush it with some ultra thin dust like talc, but i don't wanna do a mess. :)
Thank you
p

Hi gheikorg,

It's not your imagination. The non-stick coating on the rubber touch surface does eventually wear off after lots of pitch slides, exposing the stickier silicone sheet material. This is more likely to happen under heavier finger pressure. If it helps, I sell replacement rubber sheets on my site for $69 including shipping to anywhere.

It's been tricky to find a non-stick coating with the right feel that never wears off. There are polyurethane coatings that last forever but they have a plasticy feel, and vendors tend to ignore my needs for custom formulations because of my small sales numbers compared to customers buying millions of microwave oven keypads.

The good news is that recently I've come up with a coating formula and application process that feels very close to the current rubber sheets but doesn't wear off. I should have replacement sheets available around May 1, using the same $69 item on the online store. Sorry I wasn't able to come up with this solution earlier.

thank you Roger,
then i will wait a bit more :) it's not that bad yet

That sounds interesting. Would they have the new bumps? Or could you also have a version without?

When the new rubber sheets are available, they will all have the bumps. I'm afraid it's too expense to create a second aluminum mold that doesn't have the bumps. However, I still have some the current sheets without bumps. If you'd like one, place an order for one of the rubber sheets on my site then email me to tell you want one of the ones without the bumps.

I now have some new rubber sheets with a new coating that never wears off. If you order one from the online store, it will be one of these new sheets:

http://www.rogerlinndesignstore.com/LS- ... urface.htm

Great! Is one coming for the 128? Or can you trim the big one?

Yes, but unfortunately not until 2019. I must use my existing parts inventory before ordering new touch surfaces with the new coating.

BTW for playing the Linnstrument I put a few drops of (vegetable) oil on my fingertips. Gives a much nicer feel!
You have to clean the surface every now and then though, but no biggy :)

By coincidence, early LinnStrument prototypes used rubber sheets formed in a cold vacuum process that didn't burn off the silicone oil. It felt great but over time the silicone oil leaked onto the circuit board. Oops. :)

Roger,

I just bought a LinnStrument (full size) last week. What serial number range has the newer style coating?

I am still adjusting to the 4ths layout but love the build quality and feel.
As a software engineer I love the fact you released your firmware as open source!

Cheers!

Thanks for buying a LinnStrument, and I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying it.

The first unit with the new touch surface coating should be LNL01171, but perhaps a little higher because my manufacturer may have still had some of the older touch surfaces in stock to use.

Bummer. Mine was probably sitting around a little bit at reseller as it is in the LNL0115x range.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. I think the older ones actually feel slightly better, while the new ones have a tad more of a plastic feel. It’s just that the old ones tend to become a little stickier after lots of hard slides. The slightly more plastic feel is the trade off for the indestructibility.

You can always buy one of the new touch surfaces for $69 including postage if you like. It’s on the online store.

Nope. Not a problem. :)

Plus this thread reminded me to register my LinnStrument while I was checking my serial number.

Cheers.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”