Hardware MPE (synths)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not a real MPE hardware solution maybe but I've had great results with a Nord Lead 4 which can receive MIDI on 4 different midi channels. [ On the NL4, set each of the 4 layers to the same program and assign a different channel for each. On the Linnstrument: channel per note + midi channels corresponding to the channels set on the NL4)

Of the hardware synths that are MPE capable what are the most Moogish sounding ones? I am just really attached to THAT sound and have built a whole band around it but am absolutely taken with the Linnstrument too.

Either way I am going to be using the Linnstrument as a midi controller for my synths but would not mind having that sound with more capability.

It doesn't look like you can set the pitch bend range and cc control is limited - it looks less than ideal to me but you could get some control over it, albeit with (probably - the manual doesnt say) a two note range for bends and not much happening with the y and z cc's sent by the Linnstrument.

Might he worth emailing the manufacturer to see what the pitch bend range is and whether it can be changed, or whether the other mod wheel assigned could be controlled by a different cc.

A new granular synth built in hardware seems to support MPE, just read a review in the German Keys magazine:

Tasty Chips GR-1

https://www.tastychips.nl/?page_id=2182

They should soon deliver, the Kickstarter supporters get their toys already...
Wonder if a LinnStrumentalist ordered one and could report...

Yeah, I fancy one of those, nearly went for the kickstarter.

This video isn't bad to hear what it is like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DonsMtbzqO4
Bitwig, against the constitution.

^This synth has had my interest for a while now. But I'm waiting to see a full and comprehensive review: functionality, file management, build quality, etc. Exciting concept though, as hardware goes.

Cheers!

The processing power of such a machine seems limited for no good reason. Its equipped with an ARM processor and way too little RAM. But will free your mind fom dealing with a computer.
Still, my Macbook Air combined with a fader box is so much more and even smaller, it runs on batteries and can power my LinnStrument...
Hardware is mainly about tactile expressivity and its limitation does help to focus a lot. You are less distracted - in the end it might lead to better music... Though with discipline you could accomplish the same with a computer rig...
Maybe we should rather spend money for exercises in discipline and focussing than for gear...

You only need enough cpu power and ram to do the job.

It has around the same cpu grunt as a Korg Kronos.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Tj Shredder wrote:The processing power of such a machine seems limited for no good reason. Its equipped with an ARM processor and way too little RAM. But will free your mind fom dealing with a computer.
Still, my Macbook Air combined with a fader box is so much more and even smaller, it runs on batteries and can power my LinnStrument...
Hardware is mainly about tactile expressivity and its limitation does help to focus a lot. You are less distracted - in the end it might lead to better music... Though with discipline you could accomplish the same with a computer rig...
Maybe we should rather spend money for exercises in discipline and focussing than for gear...
It's two different ideologies really: i.e. I vastly prefer dedicated, standalone hardware over software for live work, even if it imposes limitations. I mean, there's no doubt that working in-the-box is better from a production standpoint; but I'm a touring musician primarily, so it's hardware or bust for me on the road (wink).

Cheers!

John the Savage wrote: It's two different ideologies really: i.e. I vastly prefer dedicated, standalone hardware over software for live work, even if it imposes limitations. I mean, there's no doubt that working in-the-box is better from a production standpoint; but I'm a touring musician primarily, so it's hardware or bust for me on the road (wink).
I agree, its a different mind set and as musician you need to carry what is inspiring and fun to play.
For me the portability of the box is, what is the biggest advantage of software symths, but on top of that I carry heavy tibetan bowls which are even more limited than a hardware synth, but they are simply magic and indispensable. Sampling them doesn't really help, its the way you play and touch them...

I just bought a Roland Integra-7 rack module for my Linnstrument. It really is an awful name, but the Supernatural sound engine is not just hype as I had assumed. It pairs perfectly with the expressive capabilities of the Linnstrument, is un-apologetically multitimbral, and I think with some control programming in something like Lemur I can make it behave a lot like a native mpe box. Great sounding machine... highly recommended.

Thanks. I’ve just added it to the Recommended Sound page.

Does anyone have first hand experiences with the current versions of the NF-1(m), Parva and GR-1 synths regarding MPE compatibility. From the little info I found it seems as if the Parva still has general issues? Is that true and how about the other synths?

resistorman wrote:I just bought a Roland Integra-7 rack module for my Linnstrument. It really is an awful name, but the Supernatural sound engine is not just hype as I had assumed. It pairs perfectly with the expressive capabilities of the Linnstrument, is un-apologetically multitimbral, and I think with some control programming in something like Lemur I can make it behave a lot like a native mpe box. Great sounding machine... highly recommended.
I'm curious to know how well this is working for you as an MPE synth...

Cheers!

Hello all!

I tried out the Linnstrument with my Ambika today in MIDI channel per part mode - worked really well. Here's a quick demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gTuxA-A6pk

Thanks for making such a brilliant instrument Roger!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”