Timbre - Opposite of Relative Mode

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm interested to set up a particular synth sound with the opposite of relative mode for Timbre. So that the initial press along the Y axis has the absolute position value, but that there is then no subsequent modulation if the finger slides vertically.

Is this possible currently?

I think you mean something like a guitar sound in which the picking position determines the timbre for the duration of the note, correct? Currently you'd have to turn Relative mode off and set your synth so that y-axis after the start is ignored. However, I can see the merit in such an "initial Y only" mode. I'll give it some thought.

FXPansions Strobe 2 offers a mode just like this, it's worth a look at the demo.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

This sounds useful!

Roger_Linn wrote:I think you mean something like a guitar sound in which the picking position determines the timbre for the duration of the note, correct? Currently you'd have to turn Relative mode off and set your synth so that y-axis after the start is ignored. However, I can see the merit in such an "initial Y only" mode. I'll give it some thought.
Correct... and it would be useful for plucked sounds... especially since the Y axis is a short distance. Thanks for considering it!

Roger_Linn wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:17 pm I think you mean something like a guitar sound in which the picking position determines the timbre for the duration of the note, correct? Currently you'd have to turn Relative mode off and set your synth so that y-axis after the start is ignored. However, I can see the merit in such an "initial Y only" mode. I'll give it some thought.
Hi Roger...

I regularly wish for such a mode... Is it something you are willing to implement? It has been 2 years since my initial request. I use absolute mode and then try hard to not move my fingers vertically after the initial strike, but it is not easy to do with the Y axis so short and playing notes quickly.

As you are using Bitwig, you could abuse a sample & hold in the Grid connect a gate to the trigger of the S/H and send the Timbre through it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm sorry, TJ. I did give this request some thought and to be honest, find it has limited utility because LinnStrument's small physical Y-axis range isn't so well suited for accurately striking the correct Y-axis position, but rather is better for varying the Y-axis position by tilting your finger after striking the note. Do you really find that you can accurately strike a Y-axis position within 17mm? I can't. The essential tradeoff in LinnStrument's string-instrument note arrangement is increased note density at the expense of Y-axis distance.

The other thing is that no one else has asked for this feature, but others have asked for more important features that Geert has had trouble finding the time to implement, especially considering that we're working on another product currently. So I'll try in future but I can't guarantee that we'll be able to add it.

It wasn’t my request, I just delivered a possible playground with that feature to pdxindy...; - )
As we have already the absolute mode, I think this better has to be done in the synth anyway...
One could also imagine a midi plug-in or script which could do it for the synths which are not capable of doing it...

Roger_Linn wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:31 am I'm sorry, TJ. I i did this request some thought and to be honest, find it has limited utility because LinnStrument's small physical Y-axis range isn't so well suited for accurately striking the correct Y-axis position, but rather is better for varying the Y-axis position by tilting your finger after striking the note. Do you really find that you can accurately strike a Y-axis position within 17mm? I can't.
It was me who made the request... not TJ

Depends on how you define accurately... but yes, I can purposefully strike the pad at different parts of the Y axis. Not accurately enough to control pitch to scale obviously... but useful for example to make a string muted on the bottom and full decay on top and have that work for me. Same with filter cutoff and various other modulations.

And of course if you deem the Y axis useless for initial strike, then why did you put the absolute mode in in the first place? This suggestion improves the usefulness of the already present absolute mode.

I keep my Linnstrument in absolute much of the time. Though I do both depending on the type of sound, I frequently use Y axis as an initial strike modulator like velocity, rather than an after the strike modulator like pressure. So I see it from the opposite direction... because the Y axis is so short, it is important to have an option freeing the initial strike from unwanted subsequent modulation. I find it difficult to put any range on the Y axis modulation and not accidentally add modulation after the initial strike while playing a quick melody.

Anyway, up to you of course and I understand why you would not make it a priority given so few user requests.

Pdxlindy: are you using a Mac or PC?

BobDog wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:29 pm Pdxlindy: are you using a Mac or PC?
Mac

Ok, I'll post a midi VST tomorrow that you can use in bitwig before any other VST to do the job...

cool... thanks!

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:42 pm if you deem the Y axis useless for initial strike, then why did you put the absolute mode in in the first place?
The reason for the current Absolute mode (Relative Y-axis = Off) is that when you move your finger continuously in the Y-axis after the start of the note, pressing at the front of the note pad will send a Y-axis value of 0, and pressing at the rear of the note pad will send a Y-axis value of 127.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”