using the Linnstrument on the go with an iOS device: choices

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The main problem with Bluetooth is that the latency can’t go below 16 milliseconds.

Moog model 15 just arrived with AU support on iOS, so I grabbed it at the $10 sale price (a steal!). But I'm getting strange results with my LS128. At times the MPE works as I'd expect. At others the patches freak out and stop generating sound completely until I change the preset. Anyone else have issues?

With the wonderful removal of the headphone jack how are people connecting their Linnstruments to the iPhone AND using audio out AND keep their phone charging? Dongle-gate is quite frustrating.

Hi dommer,

Elsewhere on this forum is a discussion about the iConnectAudio interfaces. And there’s some information about Apple’s dongles on my Hooking It Up Page.

In general, making music with iDevices highlights the inherent conflict between the needs of the many (common uses of mobile devices) and the needs of the few (making music with mobile devices).

thedommer2000 wrote:With the wonderful removal of the headphone jack how are people connecting their Linnstruments to the iPhone AND using audio out AND keep their phone charging? Dongle-gate is quite frustrating.
I feel your pain, Dommer. I hate this move toward portless devices. I won't buy a new MacBook because of the lack of connectivity. I can understand how it might seem convenient at the consumer level to have everything wireless and waterproof; but in reality, we're just trading the convenience of having one device with proper connectivity for a kludge of flimsy dongles and peripherals instead, and the irony of having to harbor these new devices in protective cases because they're too small and too thin to hold onto, and too fragile to carry around on their own.

Frankly, it's ridiculous.

And all so Apple can, what, boast that their new computer, phone, or tablet is half a millimeter thinner and a couple ounces lighter?

Anyway, that concludes my rant for the day (smirk). I'm using an iConnectAudio4+. It works, albeit not without its issues, and it likely costs as much as the iDevice you're hoping to connect to, but hey... You gotta love modern technology (wink).

Cheers!

Hi guys. New user here.

So I got my linnstrument and tried to connect to iphone x. I got the 40$ apple dongle with USB and additional lightning port… Great, it works on the iphone speaker, but how the hell do I connect some external speaker? I tried bluetooth speaker (JBL extreme 2) and the latency is just too big… I even found an external power suply that works with linnstrument, and thought I can connect headphones via the lighting port on the dongle that is free now with external power, but it doesn't work like that.
I'm kinda frustrated that all this advertised apple connectivity and IOS apps are kind of useless with this latency and theres no warning about this nor explanation how exactly to work around it on the hooking it up page.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

LOL...

Sorry, ilya, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you - like the way a chicken laughs right before you lop its head off (smirk).

Anyway, as you've discovered, Bluetooth is pretty much useless for real-time music production and performance. As such, at least as far as the newer iDevices are concerned, unless Apple makes a dongle that goes from Lightning to USB/headphones/power, you're stuck with finding a third-party audio interface that can meet your needs. As stated in my post above, I'm using an iConnectAudio4+. It works. Mind you, it's almost as expensive as the iPad I have it connected to. Regardless, make no mistake about it, your options are limited. Good luck.

Cheers!

Unfortunately I am not aware of a small, low-cost adaptor from Lightning to three USB A ports, for connection to 1) LinnStrument 2) USB Audio adaptor and 3) power.

If it helps, I use an iPad Pro for music use, and for this I use an Anker USB C hub:
https://www.anker.com/products/variant/ ... r/A83460A1
I connect its USB C port to power, one of its USB A ports to LinnStrument, and another of its USB A ports to an Apogee Jam+ for audio in/out:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMQR ... 2a3150c93a

ilya_ukraine wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:00 pm
So I got my linnstrument and tried to connect to iphone x. I got the 40$ apple dongle with USB and additional lightning port… Great, it works on the iphone speaker, but how the hell do I connect some external speaker? I tried bluetooth speaker (JBL extreme 2) and the latency is just too big… I even found an external power suply that works with linnstrument, and thought I can connect headphones via the lighting port on the dongle that is free now with external power, but it doesn't work like that.
You can get a non-apple dongle that has usb-a, Lightning AND headphone out. That would solve your problem. Yes, common knowledge is, that these third-party versions of Apple's Camera Connection Kit (with or without audio out) does not deliver enough power to the LinnStrument. However, I have one of these cheap dongles, and it works perfectly with my iPhone SE, powering my LS as long as the dongle is connected to a powerbank also. It does NOT work with my iPad Air. The logic here must be, that the iPad sucks a lot more power that the iPhone.
The only uncertainty for you will be: If the iPhone X sucks a bit more power than my iPhone SE (quite likely), through the dongle, then it might go into the "doesn't work territory".
Last edited by LarsDaniel on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This setup should work with your iPhone X. And most likely it will run fine, even without the battery. The extention cable is just because it can be annoying to have the dongle with all the cables hanging straight from the iPhone/iPad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”