using the Linnstrument on the go with an iOS device: choices

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I am very interested in being able to use the Linnstrument in a reasonably portable way (ie, away from my computer), as that is how I relate to my first instrument.

This raises two question in my mind:

(1) If powering the Linnstrument is not a concern (more on this below), is there a reason for me to use an iPad over an iPhone (or iPad Mini) as my iOS device? At this initial stage I am most excited about learning about and exploring the controller (Linnstrument) itself rather than learning how to do more advanced use of the soft synth on the iOS device, so I would suppose a larger screen size on the iOS device might not be that important. So is there some other reason to go the iPad route?

2) I have been thinking of getting an iOS device together with a USB battery. Having read the "LS Hooking it Up" page, I know the Linnstrument can be operated in "low power mode" and powered from the iOS device itself, but I would imagine that would require somewhat frequent (re)charging. I was wondering if the following setup might let me achieve this goal:

(1) a USB Y cable which (i) takes data from the Linnstrument into the iOS device and (ii) feeds the Linnstrument from the USB battery.

(2) the "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor", to which the "data" end of cable (1) connects and which also uses the additional Lightning port on that adaptor to feed the iPad from the USB battery

(3) a Lightning to USB cable that would carry the power from the USB battery into the Lightning port on (2)

Would love to learn about your experiences and choices in using the Linnstrument with an iOS device, especially from folks who would like to have a reasonably portable/"unplugged" setup for use with headphones. Thank you for your insights!

I don't know that it works but this looks interesting
Yamaha "UD-BT01"

Battery pack -> UDBT01 -> Linnstrument
||
IOS via Bluetooth

I use my Linnstrument with my iOS devices exclusively. I had grand designs for different ways to connect without draining the battery on the device. Honestly, the battery drain is not an issue for me, just using the USB cable and a CCK lightning connector. I've never run out of charge before running out of steam playing Linnstrument. Give it a shot and see how it goes... Doesn't get simpler for your use case.

Hi awed,

#1) They have the same CPUs, so I'd say the main differences are a) more space for controls and generally more functional apps on iPad; and b) you needn't worry about getting a call during performance, or not getting an important call if you turn the phone function off.

#2) Until now, Apple's "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor" (the one with the extra Lightning port) wouldn't provide sufficient power to LinnStrument even with USB power connected to its extra Lightning port and with LinnStrument in Low Power mode. But I just decided to connect that same adaptor to my iPad and was presented with a prompt to update the adaptor. After the update, it now works! The behavior is the same on my iPhone 7, iPad non-pad 7.9" and iPad Pro 13":

a) With power (from a USB power adaptor or a battery) connected to the adaptor's extra Lightning port, LinnStrument now works fine, even with LinnStrument's Low Power mode off (high power mode). So the adaptor provides adequate power to both the iDevice and LinnStrument.

b) With USB power NOT connected to the adaptor's extra Lightning port, the iDevice doesn't provide enough power for LinnStrument, even with LinnStrument's Low Power mode on.

Point "a" is the important one. This means there is now a simple $40 solution to use LinnStrument with iDevices in live performance without having to worry that the battery will run down.

If anyone would like to verify the above and report back here, it would be appreciated.

I have the first gen iPad Mini and I had to get a powered usb hub and a usb to lightning connector only to find out that didn't work!

My point is that you should pay extra attention to which device and which connector you use as that will dictate compatibility.

Personally, for practicing on the go, I use my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) and the excellent "Fluidsynth Midi" app which allows to set up a different sound per midi channel, giving a basic MPE functionality but limited to a 2 semitone pitch bend.

Well, if the adapter with the extra lightning port now works, I'll pick one up and give it a shot! Thanks for the tip, Roger!

Lukesleepwalker wrote:I use my Linnstrument with my iOS devices exclusively. [...] Honestly, the battery drain is not an issue for me, just using the USB cable and a CCK lightning connector. I've never run out of charge before running out of steam playing Linnstrument. Give it a shot and see how it goes... Doesn't get simpler for your use case.
Hi Lukesleepwalker,

You are totally right. Can you give me a notion of approximately how much usage (on the Linnstrument) you can get out of your fully charged iPad?

Thank you.

cck usb 3 compatibilty list:

iPhone Models
iPhone 5
iPhone 5c
iPhone 5s
iPhone SE
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus

iPad Models
iPad mit Retina Display
iPad mini
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 4
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad
9,7" iPad Pro
10,5" iPad Pro
12,9" iPad Pro (1. Generation)
12,9" iPad Pro (2. Generation)

What apps will you use on your iOS devices? That will affect battery drainage too, so let me know and I'll run a more scientific test by gauging the percent drainage for a set period of time like an hour. Will give me an excuse to play Linnstrument for an hour (as if I needed one)...

Hi Lukesleepwalker,
Lukesleepwalker wrote:What apps will you use on your iOS devices?
Just a soft synth, I suppose. In any case, a general ballpark estimate is already very useful -- are we speaking of 15-30 minutes or a solid couple of hours?

Thank you.

Hi everyone,
after reading Roger's post i brought back the "old" camera connection kit and took the new one. After updating it, it works almost perfectly. "Almost" because sometimes when pluging it into the ipad the linnstrument starts to blink regularly and after 2-3 blinks it starts. Today it was not starting at all (after 5-6 blinks i just unpluged the adapter and re-pluged, then it worked).
For me it is not problem doing it. But could it lead to any kind of problem/error/damage in the future?
Thank you :)

Hi ghiekorg,
I think you're saying the following:

"I'm connecting my full-size LinnStrument (in full power mode) through Apple's $40 Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor to my iPad, with the adaptor's extra Lightning port connected to USB power, all as described in the Hooking It Up page under 'Method 2: connecting to an iPad or iPhone'. When I connect the adaptor to the iPad, LinnStrument's lights blink a few times then it works fine."

If this is what you're saying, then you must first connect the adaptor to the iDevice and USB power, then connect the adaptor to the LinnStrument . I've just updated the Hooking It Up page to make this clearer.

thank you Roger,
I think i missed that part. My fault. Probably i read it and forgot :/
I tried 5-6 times now and it did only one blink twice. The other 3-4 didn't blink at all. But i guess that's normal. It's the 128 version though. Thank you very much :)

Hi Roger, just a quick update: the "problem" goes on actually. sometimes it works fine (i plug it in and have no blinking) sometimes it blink 1-2-3 time, sometimes it blinks till i have to unplug and replug. Yesterday i also had the problem of "linnstrument serial, device not supported" or something similar, and to make it work again i have to force the low power mode (it was lighting up but the ipad was receiving nothing). I will now try to use only low power mode even if i am using the "new" camera connection kit and see it is solves definitely.
I am just afraid it could lead to problems/damage

One other option just to mention (I think the connection kit is better though I don't have one)
A bluetooth Midi adapter. There is one from Yamaha, and I have a Quicco Sound mi.1 which works fine. I use a Soundblaster Roar as battery and speaker (Audio connected via cable) and the bluetooth midi... Very convenient for the park...;-)
As for charging speakers, there might be better sounding ones than the Soundblaster. The battery inside though, should be strong enough to play for a week...;-)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”