Request for videos for the next "LinnStrumentalists" compilation

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you. I've added it to my YouTube "LinnStrument Owner Videos" playlist.

I recorded this yesterday:

https://youtu.be/3vj-aTVvPiI

Cuckoo and I met at Thomann’s Synth Reactor 2019 and together with a Roli rep, we discussed our MPE controllers and had a little jam at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ92w-XECyc

I then also recorded a spontaneous ambient jam in one of Thomann’s studios, using a borrowed Linnstrument 128:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gylcx11bdrM

Nice videos, @NightMachines

Just back from open mic night at a coffee shop. Here’s one of the songs we played. Put on a decent set of headphones, or pipe it through a stereo. If you use crappy phone or laptop speakers the crowd noise is almost unbearable:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18RYb2h ... sp=sharing

My buddy is doing the "drums", "bass", and spoken word. Via the linnstrument, I’m playing the “sax”, “guitar”, and the trippy synth sound at the beginning and end of the song.

I spend too much time with linnstrument every day. :) I try to pair it with cheaper synths that have at least a few mod slots to get the expressiveness out of the LS. Here is a song where I use Skulpt and OP-Z as a band..:) Skulpt does not offer MPE nor poly pressure but I can squeeze a lot of expressiveness from 8 mod slots. More “paring vids performances coming soon”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQcunRXduZI

Thanks, funktree. I've added it to the LinnStrument Owner Videos YouTube playlist.

So, let me get this straight, you had the audacity to write the following in response to someone else's video, as though it was all so beneath you...
funktree wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:15 pm The guy playing LinnStrument is NOT prepared. The LS is much more capable instrument. A bit practice before recording would help.
...then you post this video?

Well, I have to say, I'm humbled. I mean, that's a strong hunt-and-peck technique you've developed there; and those four notes you've learned... Wow! I now see what you mean about the LinnStrument's untapped potential. Be sure to repost this for NightMachines, so he can see just how high you've set the bar.

Unless, of course, you think I've said something presumptuous, unfair, and otherwise unprovoked that misrepresents you here; in which case, I apologize, and I guess we've all learned something about etiquette today.

Cheers!

I thought I would post my latest video here. I am working towards a live project with a working title "computing jazz", where I will have some "sound palettes" loaded in Bitwig (by that I mean 5 or 6 compatible vst instruments/effects which are tied together by a sort of sonic mood) and use them as improvisational platforms played by the LinnStrument (along with a breath controller, foot controller and another midi controller or two).

Anyway, this is kind of how I am imagining it might go...

https://youtu.be/KaoCrvhC1po

There's something very John Martyn about this jam - Solid Air meets Big Muff - might be that Danny Thompsonesque bassline... Anyway, I dig it.

Cheers!

The controller you use seem to be a nanoKontrol, and are you dealing with Bitwig on a touch screen?
I wonder how you set up the looping in Bitwig...

John the Savage wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:01 am There's something very John Martyn about this jam - Solid Air meets Big Muff - might be that Danny Thompsonesque bassline... Anyway, I dig it.

Cheers!
I knew there was a reason I posted it here! I am ashamed to say that I had never listened to John Martyn before, well before today that is as I am listening to Solid Air right now. I love it! Thanks for listening and thanks for turning me on to this great stuff.
Tj Shredder wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:15 pm The controller you use seem to be a nanoKontrol, and are you dealing with Bitwig on a touch screen?
I wonder how you set up the looping in Bitwig...
Yes, it is the nanokontrol and yes, I am using a touch screen. I am really feeling my way around trying to get looping to work for me well in Bitwig. I am still a complete neophyte in bitwig, although I have come to adore the program. For this, I am just using it in the most simple way, recording a live session as I record and launch clips basically. I am hoping to mainly move to foot control, but since I play with the linnstrument on my lap, it can be awkward. I am thinking of fashioning some kind of pedal steel style stand for it, so I can use my legs without moving the linnstrument around. I would be curious to know if there are any other "lap players" out there who have tried to navigate this issue with using foot controllers.

Reckon104 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 pm
John the Savage wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:01 am There's something very John Martyn about this jam - Solid Air meets Big Muff - might be that Danny Thompsonesque bassline... Anyway, I dig it.

Cheers!
I knew there was a reason I posted it here! I am ashamed to say that I had never listened to John Martyn before, well before today that is as I am listening to Solid Air right now. I love it! Thanks for listening and thanks for turning me on to this great stuff.
My pleasure, John was a rare and gifted singer/songwriter to be sure, if a little troubled, and his music has certainly had an impact on me. I never knew the man personally, and he was more than a few years older than me, but he was a friend of a friend, colleague of a colleague sort of thing. I wrote a song about his passing a few years ago, on which several players who knew him well agreed to play. Maybe I'll put some LinnStrument on it and post it here, if it ever gets finished. Artists, it's like herding cats, I tell ya (smirk).

Incidentally, John wrote Solid Air for his friend and colleague, Nick Drake. I can't say for sure, but it might be about cocaine... Don't do drugs, kids (wink).

Cheers!

Nice one, reckon. I’ve added it to my LinnStrument Owners playlist on YouTube.

Roger_Linn wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 pm Nice one, reckon. I’ve added it to my LinnStrument Owners playlist on YouTube.
Thanks Roger!
John the Savage wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:13 pm Maybe I'll put some LinnStrument on it and post it here, if it ever gets finished. Artists, it's like herding cats, I tell ya (smirk).
I would love to hear it! And thanks again for introducing me to his stuff, I've really been enjoying it.
Sounds like you probably have a lot of interesting musical stories to tell. At this point, mine mainly consist of someone sitting in a dark room playing the Linnstrument all by his lonesome after the kid and dog go to sleep!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”