Final version of LinnStrument iPad Holder + purchase offer

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since I posted the prototype of my LinnStrument iPad holder, I went through some more revisions and settled on a final design that works well with every iPad, iPhone and headphone that I could lay my hands on. You can download the files for 3D printing yourself from here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:620912 (please send me a message with pictures of your print)

Sadly though, it seems that it's at this time not viable to have these produced through traditional injection molding techniques, since the cost would by far exceed the income from sales. I also took a look at professional 3D printing services like https://www.shapeways.com and http://i.materialise.com, but none of them seem to print in materials that look nice on the LinnStrument, and the cost of printing itself would already be around to €120 VAT included with the most basic of materials. After some experimentation, the PLA Bronze filament from Ultimaker looks the nicest to me: https://shop.ultimaker.com/product/17/PLABronze, below are some examples of my own prints with it.

My offer, if you really want one

I do think though that quite some LinnStrument owners would really like to have this iPad mount, but don't possess a 3D printer. Therefore I'm considering printing these myself for those that really want one. Realistically, given the cost of materials, the time it takes to print (about 2 days at the high resolution you see in the pictures), the cost and the maintenance of the printer, and the manual handling required, I don't see this being viable below €150, shipping not included. I realize that this is a lot of money for an accessory, but it's the only way I can see me providing it at this time. Maybe in a year or two when there are more LinnStrument owners out there, this might change. Be advised though, this is nowhere near professional production quality, it would be printed by myself on my Ultimaker 2 printer with PLA plastic that does not have the rigidity of injection molding plastics. It feels more than sturdy enough to me, but I suggest that you're a bit careful with it and prevent it from being exposed to shocks. I would also not be able to provide any warrantee at all, but will do everything within my competence to provide you with the best possible print-out with the facilities that I have at my disposal.

So if you want this iPad mount for €150 (21% Belgian VAT included, shipping excluded), feel free to send me a private message on these forums or any other means if we already know each-other and we'll figure out when and how to get it to you, payment would have to be up-front. If needed, I can provide a commercial invoice.

Pictures of the latest version with PLA bronze filament

Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Just printed mine !
Only had black filament at work, but it looks nicer than I thought it would (since the metal part of the linnstrument is black)

10 hour print time using the standard preset on a MakerBot Replicator 2 with 50% infill.

Thanks Geert !

Wow, very nice, thanks for posting these pictures! Glad to see the holder working out for you also!
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Nice design!

I just ordered one through Treatstock. Only $18.56 including shipping (click Order This Printed on the Thingverse page). Thanks for making the files available!

rlauriston wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:53 pm I just ordered one through Treatstock. Only $18.56 including shipping (click Order This Printed on the Thingverse page). Thanks for making the files available!
Awesome, let me know how the results is!

gbevin wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:41 am Awesome, let me know how the results is!
What did you use to remove the sections shown in red in the images? I tried an X-ACTO knife but the plastic is too hard.

rlauriston wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 pm
gbevin wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:41 am Awesome, let me know how the results is!
What did you use to remove the sections shown in red in the images? I tried an X-ACTO knife but the plastic is too hard.
Some pliers I think and a Stanley knife.

Hi Everyone,

This will be my first 3D printed object.

Treatstock gives material options -- what do you recommend? And do the 3 parts just fit together or should I glue them or what?

Thanks for making this, Geert!

EDIT--looks like my options are:

Resin (really expensive!)
Wood (precise enough?)
ABS
Nylon
Polyester
PLA
Flexible Plastic

I don‘t think precision is an issue for that, but maybe stability...

Finally got mine together. I took the parts over to a friend's woodworking shop and he cut the extra bits out with chisels and so on. It was a lot of work. It was still a little too wide, I had to gouge out one of the screw holes to get it to fit.

I wonder if commercial 3D printers have bigger printers so that it could be printed in one piece?

Anyway, it works great.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”