Hydrasynth

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did a couple of tracks with it pre-MPE/Linnstrument... you can hear it most clearly in this one:

<http://doubtfulpalace.com/temp/Tim-Walt ... e-Chin.mp4>

The Hydrasynth plays the intro, the harmony line at 2:04 and 3:16 (which shows that it doesn't have to be trebly), and the pulsating background at 2:22. Sorry for the lack of Linnstrument content, but at least it's an example of Hydrasynth use "in the wild."

Thanks very much - Nice track and the hydrasynth is sounding great in it. Appreciate you taking the time to post. :)

Had a play with the Hyrda in my local shop today...

They gotta do something about those jumpy encoders. That sort of thing is enough to drive a person crazy over time. Otherwise, it seems really well-built and sounds great. If they can improve the accuracy of the rotary encoders, what with having such an extensive modulation matrix and the recent addition of MPE, this could be my horse.

Here's hoping...

Cheers!

Hi Tim! Did you get the desktop module or the keyboard version? I also plan to use it with a LinnStrument, but not all the time, and I am holding out for the keyboard....
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Mike: I got the desktop. No room for more keyboards around my place.

John: I know what you mean about the encoders (although I would call them not so much jumpy as finicky), but I found that after a while I got the hang of them.

Also, in case you missed it, when you hold down SHIFT while turning an encoder it will snap to "sensible" values based on the parameter you're modifying. Very useful when you want e.g. a whole number FM ratio.

Thanks for the feedback, Tim... Much appreciated. I did try holding shift, and that did work for some parameters; but others seemed to still skip increments somewhat randomly. I can't remember which parameters those were now, but I do recall being frustrated with one parameter in particular, where I couldn't dial-in the exact number of milliseconds that I wanted; but, again, I don't remember which parameter that was.

Regardless, I'm still undecided about the Hydra. On one hand, on paper anyway, its architecture is a sound designer's dream come true. It's a seriously smart and forward-thinking design, from the synth engine to the interface. On the other hand, I have more faith in the Peak, and I do suspect that Novation will add MPE to it at some point.

That said, I've recently been touring with my LinnStrument plugged directly into the host port on an MPC Live, controlling one of the MPC's plugin synths. Don't get me wrong, the MPC's synths are a joke by comparison, severely lacking in modulation, and decidedly not MPE. However, the convenience and elegance of this pairing is undeniable: i.e. the entire top deck of my stage rig is currently two, low-profile boxes, connected by a single USB cable, running off the battery in the MPC... Doesn't get any prettier than that! Call me lazy, but I’m addicted to the simplicity of it all.

To that end, I just don't know if I can bring myself to add another synth, more cables, another power supply, etc., just for the sake of MPE. Perhaps, if we're lucky, the forthcoming LinnDrum II will allow for a similar setup, only with MPE to boot. :pray:

Cheers!

I recently got more free time and have been playing my old ESQ-1. When I saw the workflow of the hydrasynth I was really excited because it's so similar to the old ensoniq. everything about this screams "modern esq-1 / sq-80", but with much better sound quality, and I'm fighting GAS on this one.

seasick wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:51 pm I recently got more free time and have been playing my old ESQ-1. When I saw the workflow of the hydrasynth I was really excited because it's so similar to the old ensoniq. everything about this screams "modern esq-1 / sq-80", but with much better sound quality, and I'm fighting GAS on this one.
I gave into the GAS... I had ordered the desktop version .... was shipped the keyboard version, loved the poly- aftertouch and spaciousness of the panel layout. Paid the difference and had to reorganize my studio to accommodate it. (Space is getting tight) . I don't mind the encoders for the most part they seem pretty nicely dialed in but perhaps they could have a slow mode to allow you get those in between values.

Still coming to terms with it. No regrets.

Hi Guys,

The HS with MPE and mono patches is a bit buggy and these bugs were not fixed in 1.4.
So I got fed up with these bugs and wrote a little app that runs on the computer that fixes the issues when you run the midi through it, if anyone is interested they can grab it here: https://github.com/IOSAudio/HydrasynthMonoMPE

There are unsigned binaries for windows and OSX, or if you don't like unsigned stuff you can build it yourself.
Here is a vid showing the bugs and fix in action:
https://youtu.be/XrhZ-G1lQtY
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Is it the case on the HydraSynth that a note-off also affecting a unison note only manifests with mono patches? (I had somehow gotten the impression that it was a problem with poly MPE patches as well.)

Thanks for the update, Andy. Brilliant work.

It's a shame that MPE should remain such a struggle to implement for so many companies. For live work, I've all but abandoned MPE for the time being, going instead with expressive playing only when using proper mono sounds, and making do with poly-aftertouch for everything else. We'd made it that far decades ago though (sigh).

That's said, now that I've got no gigs on the calendar for the foreseeable future, I've been mucking about in Bitwig again... I reckon it's going to be a hard transition back to the limitations of hardware when touring resumes. :wink:

Stay healthy, y'all.

Cheers!

Rimwolf wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:04 am Is it the case on the HydraSynth that a note-off also affecting a unison note only manifests with mono patches? (I had somehow gotten the impression that it was a problem with poly MPE patches as well.)
On the Hydrasynth poly mode with multiple same notes works fine.

On the Hydra, is MPE mode global or saved with the patch? Is it just that if you keep the LinnStrument in ChPerNote mode, it messes with any patches that are saved as Mono/Legato?

Cheers!

It is global.

So currently with a direct connection between the LS and HS:

Poly Patch: Set HS to MPE, set LS to MPE.
Mono Patch: Set HS to NON MPE, set LS to One Chan.

Or if you just wanted to use poly aftertouch and ignore MPE you could set HS to NON MPE and LS to one chan.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”