Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
John the Savage
KVRist
332 posts since 28 Mar, 2017

Post Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Roger_Linn wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:51 pm
Personally, I haven’t used EGs in years. 50 years ago, they were merely a stop-gap solution for the problem of playing music with on/off switches. I no longer see the need to simulate what I can perform with my finger. Do we really still need every note’s envelope to be identical? Maybe that’s why there are no more instrumental solos in pop music.
I personally don't like the patronizing tone of zerocrossing's response to this, but I do agree that there are literally countless, dare I say necessary, uses for envelopes beyond what can be achieved by gestural playing alone.

As I recall, we had this conversation about LFO's too. The guitar, for instance, responds brilliantly to my every touch, but I still love me a good Uni-Vibe (wink).

Cheers!

User avatar
Roger_Linn
KVRian
1297 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:10 am

That's fine, John. To you and zero crossing, I was only saying that I don't personally use LFOs or envelopes because I prefer the expressive control. And for synthesis of plucked strings, I prefer physical models, which don't which require envelopes because an impulse + resonator combination creates a natural string decay that is longer for lower pitches, just like a string.

And I didn't take zerocrossing's post as patronizing.

Reckon104
KVRist
49 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:16 am

jcub wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:07 am
I am pleased to announce the release of my new album "Elephant In The Room" which features LinnStrument on nearly every track
I have it fired up right now and wow, it is really wonderful. You have led the way in terms of the LS being used as a "real" instrument. Both your compositions and improvisations (in this release and elsewhere) are thoughtful and intentional. This is quite an accomplishment artistically and will be a part of the historical record in terms of the use of alternative instruments in this time period. Congratulations!
zerocrossing wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:38 am
This is by far the best Linnstrument demo I’ve ever seen
Thanks for the kind words, although you may be guilty of a bit of hyperbole :)

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
9809 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:26 pm

John the Savage wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:09 pm
Roger_Linn wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:43 pm
FYI, most LinnStrument owners find the AfterTouch mode to be a vestigial artifact left over from earlier age. :)
I actually prefer the behaviour of Aftertouch myself. In terms of feel, Aftertouch lends itself well to aggressive playing techniques, by drawing a direct correlation between the physicality of pushing hard on an instrument and the intensity of the sound it might make in return: i.e. like overblowing a horn or hitting a guitar string too hard, pushing the sound into a state of distortion or feedback.

From a sound design perspective, at least as far as MPE is concerned, the gesture has to match the sound for me. In that respect, when it comes to realistically emulating the many subtleties of expressive playing, I find that there is a broader range of useful applications for Velocity and the Y-axis; as apposed to mapping parameters to continuous pressure, which is far more limited in terms of having a visceral connection to acoustic reality. In other words, it's all about how it feels versus what your subconscious expects to hear. Don't get me wrong, continuous pressure is useful, but it's kind of "bowing" or bust really — strings and pads. When I want to dig into a sound though, I need the pushback of Aftertouch.

Cheers!
Perfectly stated. Maybe it’s because I’m a guitarist, so I first think that a note is articulated with a fretted string and a pluck (though sometimes the force of the finger fretting is enough). After that initial exciting of the string, expression is added, so when I discovered my old Ensoniq TS-10 had poly pressure, it just seemed natural. I was actually surprised when I sold the TS that it wasn’t something that was being adopted by the industry at large. I was totally dismayed to find that not only was it not something that “took” but something that as more or less died. I went without it for a really long time, thinking the Rise would suffice, but I still felt like for some types of sounds, I still like the feel of the key travel and that extra “push” to add expression. I finally picked up a GEM S2. It feels fantastic, but it’s huge and my space isn’t. I’d love to replace it with something smaller, and I’m not married to a traditional keyboard, so that’s why I thought of the Linnstrument. I’ve got other synths that have built in traditional keyboards, so I’d still have them as well.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
9809 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Roger_Linn wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:10 am
That's fine, John. To you and zero crossing, I was only saying that I don't personally use LFOs or envelopes because I prefer the expressive control. And for synthesis of plucked strings, I prefer physical models, which don't which require envelopes because an impulse + resonator combination creates a natural string decay that is longer for lower pitches, just like a string.

And I didn't take zerocrossing's post as patronizing.
I was just being a bit cheeky, but to each their own. I’m aware of your prowess, and I might add that I’m a huge fan of the Tempest (stupidly sold it but I think I’ll get another this fall) and back in my gigging days I gigged with a AdrenaLinn.

I’m totally with you in that sometimes you want complete control of every aspect of a sound like a violin. I totally get that, and I often go to that mode myself where I am the envelope. But, I also grew up in the ol’ Wavestation/Transwave days where things can be sequenced as well as manipulated with a joystick and aftertouch. It’s not an either/or thing for me. It’s all. I’m glad to know that you designed the Linnstrument to placate vestigial artifacts like myself. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must yell at kids on my lawn. :hihi:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

jcub
KVRer
23 posts since 10 Apr, 2015 from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:22 am

Reckon104 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:16 am
jcub wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:07 am
I am pleased to announce the release of my new album "Elephant In The Room" which features LinnStrument on nearly every track
I have it fired up right now and wow, it is really wonderful. You have led the way in terms of the LS being used as a "real" instrument. Both your compositions and improvisations (in this release and elsewhere) are thoughtful and intentional. This is quite an accomplishment artistically and will be a part of the historical record in terms of the use of alternative instruments in this time period. Congratulations!
zerocrossing wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:38 am
This is by far the best Linnstrument demo I’ve ever seen
Thanks for the kind words, although you may be guilty of a bit of hyperbole :)
Steve:

Thanks very much! I second the comments on your demo - well done!

Jeremy

StyleBuck
KVRist
77 posts since 14 Mar, 2018

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:15 pm

I've just started a new youtube channel dedicated to my music. The first song I perform entirely on the linnstrument, except for the drums and the vocals (of course):

https://youtu.be/SxbXDiH7wOg

If you could help me get the channel off the ground by liking, subscribing, and sharing, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

StyleBuck
KVRist
77 posts since 14 Mar, 2018

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 am

jcub wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:07 am
I am pleased to announce the release of my new album "Elephant In The Room" which features LinnStrument on nearly every track. All violin, cello, and sax sounds are from Audio Modeling, the fretless bass is from Trillian, virtual lead guitar from Orange Tree Samples, and lead synth (DSI Pro2, Cypher, Synthmaster, Omnisphere). A CD release is in the works as well. It is amazing to me how LinnStrument has become my main controller for everything except piano, organ, and drums. Thank you Roger and Geert!

https://jeremycubert.bandcamp.com/album ... n-the-room

Thanks.

Jeremy
I really like the "Wheels Up" track. Well done!

I'm not quite the multi-instrument virtuoso that you are, but I've had a similar experience with the linnstrument. I've played guitar for 13 years, bass guitar for nearly 30, and keys off and on, and I don't touch any of them anymore. I've had the linnstrument a little over a year, and it's completely replaced them.

Thanks Roger! You've given us all a great gift!

User avatar
Roger_Linn
KVRian
1297 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 am

StyleBuck wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 am
hanks Roger! You've given us all a great gift!
Thanks! And you've given me a great gift in sharing the same vision for the future of musical instruments.

shutterdownmax
KVRer
21 posts since 6 Dec, 2015

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:35 am

New one with the max for live microtuner i've been building.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5O4T0aseoc

User avatar
Roger_Linn
KVRian
1297 posts since 8 Jun, 2010
Roger Linn Design

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:18 am

Thanks, Max. Another good one. I've added it to my LinnStrument Owner Videos playlist.

shutterdownmax
KVRer
21 posts since 6 Dec, 2015

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks Roger!

Reckon104
KVRist
49 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 am

I love what you're doing with the Linnstrument Max! This is fantastic.

jcub
KVRer
23 posts since 10 Apr, 2015 from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:07 am

StyleBuck wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 am
jcub wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:07 am
I am pleased to announce the release of my new album "Elephant In The Room" which features LinnStrument on nearly every track. All violin, cello, and sax sounds are from Audio Modeling, the fretless bass is from Trillian, virtual lead guitar from Orange Tree Samples, and lead synth (DSI Pro2, Cypher, Synthmaster, Omnisphere). A CD release is in the works as well. It is amazing to me how LinnStrument has become my main controller for everything except piano, organ, and drums. Thank you Roger and Geert!

https://jeremycubert.bandcamp.com/album ... n-the-room

Thanks.

Jeremy
I really like the "Wheels Up" track. Well done!

I'm not quite the multi-instrument virtuoso that you are, but I've had a similar experience with the linnstrument. I've played guitar for 13 years, bass guitar for nearly 30, and keys off and on, and I don't touch any of them anymore. I've had the linnstrument a little over a year, and it's completely replaced them.

Thanks Roger! You've given us all a great gift!
Thanks very much! The CD release of the album is on its way along with a video.

shutterdownmax
KVRer
21 posts since 6 Dec, 2015

Re: Call for LinnStrument videos and sound files

Post Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Reckon104 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 am
I love what you're doing with the Linnstrument Max! This is fantastic.
Thanks! I've been enjoying your videos as well.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”