Audio quantization

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do I quantize audio? Right now, I slice files on Onsets, create a new clip around them, and then I can "inside the clip" the audio events use the quantize function.
Any other workarounds?

I also wonder if the Groove function has no effect on audio files yet?

As far as i know there is no other way and i miss it very much.
The whole timestretch/hitpoint/onset workflow is a mess in my opinion...
Just make the hitpoints like in ableton and let me quantize them please :cry:

Oh wow. I was just posting that in another thread. Yeah I was trying to hit Q and nothing was happening. I thought it would just move the transients like it does in Logic or Live. Ah well.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Is it known when audio quantization (and also swing/grooves per track/clip) will be implemented?

Maybe a week after your plan runs out...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:02 pm Maybe a week after your plan runs out...
Good one. :lol:
In fact, I don't see the plan as a big deal when I think about how much money I've already spent on Avid and how much I spend on Steinberg every year. I like to support new companies that break new ground as good as I can.

Maybe never. Nothing is known by us mere mortals. There's no plan set out for us to access. It's seemingly random. The last notable update I was like WTF? Why? Who actually asked for that? My attitude now is: Bitwig gonna Bitwig.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:04 pmMaybe never. Nothing is known by us mere mortals. There's no plan set out for us to access. It's seemingly random. The last notable update I was like WTF? Why? Who actually asked for that? My attitude now is: Bitwig gonna Bitwig.
Yeah, but by the same token - who asked for modulators? or playback modes in Sampler? or how actually The Grid isn't exactly what was promised and demanded, but is probably MUCH better for it? or who asked for the interactive help, but now I can't stop using it for devices I thought I know? :D

Really. If it wasn't for Push I'd sell Live already and if it wasn't for Reason Rack VST I'd get rid of Reason by now, too. Bitwig tends to be hit or miss, but somehow I trust them we're going to get to interesting places with them :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

As long I get pieces done I am happy.
I think the “workaround” of outerspacecat is often better than warping. It will keep the sound clean and unchanged. And if I would aim at the warping artifacts, I could still stretch the bits and pieces.
Often demands are aimed at workflow speed. Maybe our pieces would get better if we start to go into details and take more time for these details...
Placing events by hand instead of quantizing is also an option and very different to automatic swings. You might be astonished how grooves could arise doing that...

When groove is activated you have to consolidate your audio clips and than the groove will work.

paatjoo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:56 pm When groove is activated you have to consolidate your audio clips and than the groove will work.
What do you mean? Can you please explain this.

JHernandez wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:04 pm Maybe never. Nothing is known by us mere mortals. There's no plan set out for us to access. It's seemingly random. The last notable update I was like WTF? Why? Who actually asked for that? My attitude now is: Bitwig gonna Bitwig.
Uhhh... the last update had improved graphics handling on Mac OS... that is one of the most requested improvements from users.

That said... I am disappointed with the Pitch-12 modulator. It only modulates a note while it is held. If the note has any release time, the modulation audibly jumps back to default. I find it not much use for that reason.

Also, the micro-pitch stuff... sometimes there is a slight delay at note on so one can hear a very fast pitch slide to the adjusted value.

The pitch stuff needs some work still. But the GUI/graphics improvements are worth it alone.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:52 pm
JHernandez wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:04 pm Maybe never. Nothing is known by us mere mortals. There's no plan set out for us to access. It's seemingly random. The last notable update I was like WTF? Why? Who actually asked for that? My attitude now is: Bitwig gonna Bitwig.
Uhhh... the last update had improved graphics handling on Mac OS... that is one of the most requested improvements from users.

That said... I am disappointed with the Pitch-12 modulator. It only modulates a note while it is held. If the note has any release time, the modulation audibly jumps back to default. I find it not much use for that reason.

Also, the micro-pitch stuff... sometimes there is a slight delay at note on so one can hear a very fast pitch slide to the adjusted value.

The pitch stuff needs some work still. But the GUI/graphics improvements are worth it alone.
I was speaking about the Pitch stuff. It was implied, maybe not so well. It’s the focus of the update, the selling point if you will.

The graphics handling should have been a given from the get considering they’re selling it to Mac users imo. I personally had no issue with graphics, except for some blinking/flickering when I resized the window. Eventually they fixed it, in the prior update, only to reintroduce the issue with “improved graphics handling” which could only be solved by buying a Metal compatible GPU which as it turned out gave me zero improvements overall. The update was meh and just costed me money. I should have passed but it was the last update on my plan and I thought I’d see a noticeable performance boost of some kind. I was wrong.

That said, hopefully it did actually help those who needed it but I haven’t seen anyone confirm or deny it yet.
-JH

stamp wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:04 pm
paatjoo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:56 pm When groove is activated you have to consolidate your audio clips and than the groove will work.
What do you mean? Can you please explain this.
Actually exactly what I said, when you activate the groove function (in play menu) and you consolidate multiple audio clips, than the groove should be working (but it doesn't work when you leave the audio files seperate)

Return to “Bitwig”