Slow piano roll editing UI on 3.1 on Mac

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone else having issues with slow editing on the piano roll in 3.1 on Mac?

It's especially bad when Option-dragging notes to copy them. Hold down option, drag, release mouse button, release Option, a half-second later the "copied" note is moved rather than copied. The original disappears. Undo. Try again. :!:

I discovered that to avoid this, I need to keep the mouse button held down until the vertical highlight changes to the new position. This can take as long as a second. Other times it is instant. It is very frustrating.

I don't remember this being an issue in 3.0.

FYI - I'm running a maxed out 16" Macbook Pro.

Oh, and by the way, I wish that Bitwig were smarter about Option-copy operations in general. IMO, it should only be necessary to hold down Option during the initial drag rather than having to hold it down the entire time. If someone needs to cancel the operation, they can just tap Esc.

teilo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 pmOh, and by the way, I wish that Bitwig were smarter about Option-copy operations in general. IMO, it should only be necessary to hold down Option during the initial drag rather than having to hold it down the entire time. If someone needs to cancel the operation, they can just tap Esc.
The idea is that when you grab something with a mouse - a note, an audio event, a clip, a device, a track - you can drag it somewhere else to move it there, but if along the way you ADD a modifier key (Ctrl on PC, Option on Mac) Bitwig will know to create a copy, rather then move the item. That's why you have to hold the modifier until you let go of the item, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to cancel the action if you changed your mind - hitting Esc would be weird, I think?

So it's actually the other way around from what you want - you 1st click, then add the modifier if you need. I guess it's a matter of getting used to it. I'd probably be equally confused using Logic ;)

Although I'm not excluding there's some genuine delay caused by soft/hard-ware. I'm not seeing it on PC, so can't really comment on that.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Just chiming in to say haven't had this issue on my Mac.
-JH

Also no drag issues here on 3.1.2. I'm on high Sierra.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:55 pm
teilo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 pmOh, and by the way, I wish that Bitwig were smarter about Option-copy operations in general. IMO, it should only be necessary to hold down Option during the initial drag rather than having to hold it down the entire time. If someone needs to cancel the operation, they can just tap Esc.
The idea is that when you grab something with a mouse - a note, an audio event, a clip, a device, a track - you can drag it somewhere else to move it there, but if along the way you ADD a modifier key (Ctrl on PC, Option on Mac) Bitwig will know to create a copy, rather then move the item. That's why you have to hold the modifier until you let go of the item, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to cancel the action if you changed your mind - hitting Esc would be weird, I think?

So it's actually the other way around from what you want - you 1st click, then add the modifier if you need. I guess it's a matter of getting used to it. I'd probably be equally confused using Logic ;)

Although I'm not excluding there's some genuine delay caused by soft/hard-ware. I'm not seeing it on PC, so can't really comment on that.
In this case, it doesn't matter whether I add option before or after starting the drag. I will randomly get a delay such that after releasing the mouse, then option, and seeing both notes there on the screen, the original note will suddenly disappear a half second later so that my copy operation reverted back to a move operation.

teilo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:16 amIn this case, it doesn't matter whether I add option before or after starting the drag. I will randomly get a delay such that after releasing the mouse, then option, and seeing both notes there on the screen, the original note will suddenly disappear a half second later so that my copy operation reverted back to a move operation.
Right. This does sound like some kind of a bug. Perhaps record the situation with your phone (so that it's visible what you do on keyboard and the screen at the same time) and send to Support? I can see how this must be annoying.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”