Saving group tracks

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. Newish guy here, wondering how to save a group track and recall the whole thing. I have a drum machine-sampler set up, outputting to 16 effect tracks in the group. No problem, and I have followed others advice and added a blank midi clip to the drum machine track, right click, then saved the clip to the library. But when I recall the saved clip/group track setup, all that is imported is the drum machine track, but no group track or effect tracks. Am I missing something? Thanks-

Jonathan Shepherd wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:48 pm...I have followed others advice and added a blank midi clip to the drum machine track...
You need to add a MIDI clip to the Group track, not the Drum Machine track :)

If you're unable to add it, right click on the Group track's header and there's an option to show master track content (as opposed to group track's content) - switch to the 1st one and you'll be able to add a clip.

But just in case - what you mean by "effect tracks"? And where is the Drum Machine placed? The setup should be something like:

Group Track, including:
- Drum Machine track
- pad #1 track (e.g. kick)
- pad #2 track (e.g. snare)
- etc....
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Jonathan Shepherd wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:48 pm But when I recall the saved clip/group track setup, all that is imported is the drum machine track, but no group track or effect tracks.
Sounds to like you saved just the note clip of the drum machine track but not the whole scene clip of the group track.
Dragging a scene of a group track to the browser normally should save all clips inside the scene and all tracks (including send tracks), devices + routing between the grouped tracks and devices.
Instead of a launcher scene you can also drag a selected time range of a group track (from Bitwig's arrangement view) to the browser to save a scene clip, BTW.

@antic604: By jove that did it, thanks! I'd read others solutions regarding group saving by creating a clip for the group track but I hadn't seen anything about the "show master track content" option, and once turned on everything was fine. As far as the effect track setup goes, I was trying to do an Ableton-type effect track setup, where one can independently automate effects in their own track, but I just today read into how free running automation in Bitwig works. Again, I'm new and still groping my way along! But the Bitwig way feels better to me, the more I find out about it.
@u-u-u: Once I followed antic604's suggestion of showing master track content, I was able to use your method, no problem. Thank you-u-u---

Quote from my answer on Bitwig Q&A:

- create your group with all the routing
- rightclick on the master group track and click on 'show master track content'
- create a clip on the group master track
- drag the clip to the right side browser
- insert name (and add tags) Now you have a clip that you can drag to your project and it will create a group like the one you created.

Does this still work? I'm using 4.1.2 and I've got an instrument track that hosts a plugin (largely for editing a hardware synth) and it's corresponding audio track. I follow the steps, but when I try to drag it into a project it only instantiates an instrument track.

the8bitdeity wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:50 am Does this still work? I'm using 4.1.2 and I've got an instrument track that hosts a plugin (largely for editing a hardware synth) and it's corresponding audio track. I follow the steps, but when I try to drag it into a project it only instantiates an instrument track.
+1!!
(bitwig 4.3.4)
If I try and do this process in the clip launcher I just get a new blank instrument track with the clip on it. If I try in the arranger I get an instrument track with the right name but no devices, so functionally no different

btw, bitwig won't let me do anything with the clip until I expand the group folder, seems a bit uncharacteristically fussy about this whole thing - like a forgotten corner of bitwig functionality.

Is bitwig supposed to be able to do this? Did it lose the function in an update at some point? Can anyone get this to work atm?

so many questions... but just one question really... how do that?

Return to “Bitwig”