Known bugs, flaws or malfunctions in Bitwig 3.1

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reflekshun wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 pm
outerspacecat wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:03 pm Thanks for the hint! As long as the audio export is not affected by this, the real-time behavior does not bother me. The only bad thing is undetected errors during export (as it can happen with Logic or Studio One, for example).

I am indeed a heavy plug-in user and rarely have projects with under 300 ms latency generating plug-ins. I must say Bitwig is doing a fantastic job here. The timing is right, the pdc works great, also when grouping, working with sends and also side-chaining seems to be okay.
However, it is useless for recording or playing in, because there is no delay compensation constrain function. With 300+ ms latency nothing can be recorded of course. The only thing that helps is the cumbersome workaround with grouping and deactivation of all tracks including deactivation of the plug-ins on the master track and recording on a single working spare track.
I hope that there will soon be a pdc constrain function for recording here, as there is in Live, Pro Tools or Cubase for example.
Have you experienced any timing issues with Critical timed automation (something that needs to be changing exactly on a beat or bar)? I find that when compensation starts to rise the gap between what I'm drawing and what I'm hearing increases. In some cases the automation is 500-1000ms off which is more than just a nitpicky amount!
Wow. So that's what that was. I thought I was going crazy. I was trying to do something I've done in other DAWs like Studio One which is to record some knobs mapped to sends in realtime for delay or reverb splashes and it would sound right when I was recording and be in another zip code when I played back.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:16 am
reflekshun wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 pm
outerspacecat wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:03 pm Thanks for the hint! As long as the audio export is not affected by this, the real-time behavior does not bother me. The only bad thing is undetected errors during export (as it can happen with Logic or Studio One, for example).

I am indeed a heavy plug-in user and rarely have projects with under 300 ms latency generating plug-ins. I must say Bitwig is doing a fantastic job here. The timing is right, the pdc works great, also when grouping, working with sends and also side-chaining seems to be okay.
However, it is useless for recording or playing in, because there is no delay compensation constrain function. With 300+ ms latency nothing can be recorded of course. The only thing that helps is the cumbersome workaround with grouping and deactivation of all tracks including deactivation of the plug-ins on the master track and recording on a single working spare track.
I hope that there will soon be a pdc constrain function for recording here, as there is in Live, Pro Tools or Cubase for example.
Have you experienced any timing issues with Critical timed automation (something that needs to be changing exactly on a beat or bar)? I find that when compensation starts to rise the gap between what I'm drawing and what I'm hearing increases. In some cases the automation is 500-1000ms off which is more than just a nitpicky amount!
Wow. So that's what that was. I thought I was going crazy. I was trying to do something I've done in other DAWs like Studio One which is to record some knobs mapped to sends in realtime for delay or reverb splashes and it would sound right when I was recording and be in another zip code when I played back.
Yep! You're not crazy! I started using Logic more recently and found similar problem there with tight timed automation.
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

For those of you with automation timing issues, I noticed a very severe case in a recent project and from what I could see it appeared to relate to FX Selector or Instrument Selector devices. Unfortunately I have not managed to reproduce it in a fresh project yet, but I will keep digging and see if I can figure it out.

I've noticed a few issues:

General
-Can't drag from clip into Maschine (have to select it in audio region in the edit pane)
-Synths play highest note when the latest note is released when multiple notes are held in mono mode (should be the second last note gets played)
-problems loading kontakt instruments in Drum Machine slots. GUIs get messed up with some instruments
-Controllers sometimes get disconnected when another one connects
-Stylus RMX some midi loops don't copy to Bitwig clips/arrangement
-Global Swing not being applied to steps modulators

Automation
-When automation is deleted, the red dot indicating automation is still there
-Clip automation leaves a gap at the start and end when recording from hardware, even in write mode.
-In the arranger deleting clips does not delete automation and there is no way to delete multiple lanes of automation, so it seems I have to delete each automation lane for that time range individually or just delete the track and start again from scratch.

MPE
-If a note is pitch bent and held and you play the original note again, it does not seem to allow that note to be played again and there is expression interference and glitching between the two notes. Equator as an example, in standalone does not have this problem.

Touch screen use
-Can't drag from the edit pane with touch, only mouse.
-Readouts at the bottom don't work with touch (or tooltip values), only show what the mouse pointer is hovering over. So I can't see specific values with touch
-Can't select Chain columns in the mixer view for a multi-out VST with touch
-Automation editing is completely broken with touch, it gets stuck on selection
-Pen doesn't work properly, there is a lag/offset so you can't grab nodes or ends of notes, or anything requiring precision

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm
-In the arranger deleting clips does not delete automation and there is no way to delete multiple lanes of automation, so it seems I have to delete each automation lane for that time range individually or just delete the track and start again from scratch.
That's bad. Time to write a support ticket, I guess.

stamp wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:23 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm
That's bad. Time to write a support ticket, I guess.
Not deleting track automation is a good thing because the automation is not tight to the clip but to the devices.

Rivanni wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:54 pm Not deleting track automation is a good thing because the automation is not tight to the clip but to the devices.
Yes and no. There's a button that ties automation to clips. When it is turned on and you delete a clip it should delete the automation, too. Imo.

Return to “Bitwig”