Bitwig Studio 16-Track - unlimited VST, 16 tracks. 99 USD or less...

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kongru wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:38 pm
Taika-Kim wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:30 pm 16-track has only 2 groups max, and does not have selectors. But still people complaining is a bit funny because we're talking about 99€ vs 379€ here.
I think the main point is not 99€ vs 379€ but rather 99€ compared to £74 for Cubase Elements, £69 for Live 10 Intro and £69 for Reason 11 Intro which are all arguably better deals.
This! These are all well-known DAWs, while Bitwig is still very new and not so well-known. They should make their product more interesting for new potential customers, but they're doing just the opposite.

It looks like they just released it without checking what's already available from the competition. All competitors offer more for the same price or less. I think most potential customers will go for an already established name, unless some less established company offers a more interesting product.

Maybe the guys at Bitwig just don't want to sell many copies. All these pesky new customers asking stupid questions :P

Well I think arguing this back and forth is not going to bring any new insights into light, so I'll leave here. Those are the official prices on the website, you can't buy 8-track, so a discounted upgrade path from that is not a valid comparison.

monophonK wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:57 pm "Includes 12 months of free upgrades." - Does anyone know what another year will cost?
The support says: Approximately 50€

With Cakewalk being a full DAW and free to all users, and Reaper full version priced less than Bitwig 16 track, I can only presume the Bitwig developers are trying to maintain cash flow to keep operating. The Grid is one element the other DAWs don’t have and should be included.

I don't think that the end user is the target audience for the 16 track version. It's targeted at hardware manufacturers to include as bundled software or to give away as the headline feature on a magazine DVD. The price is set high to look good on the package ("Includes $XXXX of free software!!!!!!!!!!").

I think I got an 8 track version for 10 Euros with a magazine. I have three or four Ableton Live Lite versions that came with hardware products and I also have an old Cubase LE license somewhere. I don't think that many people will actually spend the full price for the lite versions of todays DAWs.

Benutzername wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:13 pm I don't think that the end user is the target audience for the 16 track version. It's targeted at hardware manufacturers to include as bundled software or to give away as the headline feature on a magazine DVD. The price is set high to look good on the package ("Includes $XXXX of free software!!!!!!!!!!").

I think I got an 8 track version for 10 Euros with a magazine. I have three or four Ableton Live Lite versions that came with hardware products and I also have an old Cubase LE license somewhere. I don't think that many people will actually spend the full price for the lite versions of todays DAWs.
Yes, you are correct it is also very much about marketing strategies targeted for either direct individual seller approach or for resellers to include the software with their hardware or other products. That way the reseller acts as a good promoter. But Bitwig is a good Software kit without much marketing needed for many to decide on buying it.
As with everything in music and in life, in general, you just have to be creative not only with your creations but it is also equally important to get the word out about your very existence.

I think this could be a great solution for certain users, as I do know someone who has 8-track and wants to get the full version, but the price is a barrier for them. Pretty sure just a few extra tracks and unlimited VST additions would be enough for them to actually complete some music etc (for now at least!)

The lack of upgrade price from 8-track is the main thing missing here IMO, as that would make it a no-brainer. Still might seem steep to him as it is, I have held off recommending it, as not sure he is aware of the yearly renewal element either. I am OK with the upgrade model personally and totally get the logic behind it, but not sure he would feel the same (as pure casual hobbyist, and music-making not a main hobby.) But he couldn’t complain if he was getting started via cheaper price, and obv optional to upgrade further.

The unlimited VST thing is one of the key improvements though, that really does make it a useable workspace now, with options for chaining arps and instruments and FX etc. Could help get people hooked and eventually want the full version...

8-track is like a teaser trailer, 16-track is a full trailer giving away major plot-points(!) And in truth, for some, 16-track does have enough on offer that the full version isn’t really needed, especially if they plan to use it as a starting-point ideas play-space or whatever.

Lack of bouncing I don’t get though. That feels like a needless limitation just for the sake of limiting something, whereas leaving out The Grid and certain premium Bitwig VSTs makes a lot of sense. Have to retain the premium nature of full DAW, but bouncing should just be considered standard really, as can achieve same result with workarounds anyway, just that it is a bit annoying (but not so annoying that you would pay for a full DAW.)

Again, if I was recommending this to my friend, it would be in the back of my mind that he can’t bounce stuff, yet that is gonna be necessary when he starts experimenting etc, more likely to deter him from going further than make him buy full version.

Reefius wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:22 pm
Kongru wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:38 pm
Taika-Kim wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:30 pm 16-track has only 2 groups max, and does not have selectors. But still people complaining is a bit funny because we're talking about 99€ vs 379€ here.
I think the main point is not 99€ vs 379€ but rather 99€ compared to £74 for Cubase Elements, £69 for Live 10 Intro and £69 for Reason 11 Intro which are all arguably better deals.
This! These are all well-known DAWs, while Bitwig is still very new and not so well-known. They should make their product more interesting for new potential customers, but they're doing just the opposite.

It looks like they just released it without checking what's already available from the competition. All competitors offer more for the same price or less. I think most potential customers will go for an already established name, unless some less established company offers a more interesting product.

Maybe the guys at Bitwig just don't want to sell many copies. All these pesky new customers asking stupid questions :P
Yes, but you also have to consider that their upgrade plan takes into account that you have paid the 99€ for the introductory 16-track version.
And so the discount to upgrade to the Studio Version will be proportionately reduced so as to make you feel that you only bought the Studio version when you decide to do so.

Maykie wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:39 pm The "only" limitation should be 16 track limit.

I hope Bitwig Team will rethink this and maybe get rid of other limitations in the future.
It seems they just copied the offer from Ableton, without even understanding the marketing idea behind the Ableton Lite version. Ableton Lite is just a bait for those who are buying a MIDI controller and getting "Ableton Lite that worth $100". Everyone, except Bitwig, understands that such limited version worth nothing, it's just a "Getting-started-bait-demo" version and no one is going pay a penny for it.
Instead, as you said they need to provide a version that continues the logical chain after the demo version, and that is saving the project in a limited way (16 tracks).
Bitwig has a potential, but they will continue to be a niche product in best case scenario, until they realize they need a strategy and marketing, not just a development team that working on a random cool stuff.

Return to “Bitwig”