Bitwig Studio 16-Track - unlimited VST, 16 tracks. 99 USD or less...

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.bitwig.com/en/16-track.html

Edit- GRID doesn't seem to be included, which in my opinion renders this version a bit pointless...
Last edited by SLiC on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

According to the comparison chart it doesn't have the Grid, Phase 4 etc. Reduced set of instruments and FX.

quincy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:24 pm According to the comparison chart it doesn't have the Grid, Phase 4 etc. Reduced set of instruments and FX.
Edited- I hadn't opened the big comparison chart- just assumed the grid was part of Bitwig!

Not including the GRID is a massive mistake IMHO, that is what may have pulled people in, as it is (unless they plan to just give it away with hardware) it is far to limited.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:50 pmNot including the GRID is a massive mistake IMHO, that is what may have pulled people in, as it is (unless they plan to just give it away with hardware) it is far to limited.
I don't necessarily agree with that. A lot of DAW companies have an entry-level version with everything you need to get going and this is Bitwig's. I'd argue that it's better than some of the others - Ableton Intro doesn't have a single synth included, although there are some synth-like sampler presets.

If you look at it as "can you start making electronic music with nothing but this software package" then the answer is definitely yes. There are synths, drum synths, FX, sequencing, audio tracks, sampler etc.

I think what may cause confusion here is how this relates to the subscription model. If they release new features, do they come for free? Or paid updates? If this has a different model than "full" Bitwig Studio then it's a bit confusing.

Personally, I'd be very happy to pay $99 for JUST a standalone (and possibly VST) version of the Grid without a DAW attached. It's a fun environment on it's own.

I'd be Ok if it was only the Grid or some other big gimmick or two, but it lacks things like bouncing, sampler multisample editor, VST sidechain, saving templates etc.

quincy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:56 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:50 pmNot including the GRID is a massive mistake IMHO, that is what may have pulled people in, as it is (unless they plan to just give it away with hardware) it is far to limited.
I don't necessarily agree with that. A lot of DAW companies have an entry-level version with everything you need to get going and this is Bitwig's. I'd argue that it's better than some of the others - Ableton Intro doesn't have a single synth included, although there are some synth-like sampler presets.

If you look at it as "can you start making electronic music with nothing but this software package" then the answer is definitely yes. There are synths, drum synths, FX, sequencing, audio tracks, sampler etc.

I think what may cause confusion here is how this relates to the subscription model. If they release new features, do they come for free? Or paid updates? If this has a different model than "full" Bitwig Studio then it's a bit confusing.

Personally, I'd be very happy to pay $99 for JUST a standalone (and possibly VST) version of the Grid without a DAW attached. It's a fun environment on it's own.
You could definably make great music with it, if it came free with a keyboard (like 8 track) then its a great deal but I still think they should be giving people a 'taste' of the Grid (even with limited modules) if they want people to upgrade, its the stand out feature and I am sure once people tried it they would upgrade.

If people want a bargain full featured DAW they will probably buy Reaper for less or even FL Studio Producer Edition for just a little bit more. I am just not sure where this is positioned at $99, it seems betwixt and between to me.

Yeah, absence of Grid is huge oversight.
It's quite complex beast and wider attention / easier user access to it will be winning situation for both sides.

Grid as Vsti - is what we want ..But....I guess
it'll be exclusive to the Bitwig Full version..
..hopefully we will see the new 16track v..with the Grid and limited nr of modules...
but if they think the Grid is the hook...then we wont...the only option is/will be Full version...
...I m happy having fun with NI Reaktor and 100s...of blocks so.hmmm..500+ modules in the GRid will be hard to resist.. :ud:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
So, I've been seriously considering getting the full bitwig with the sale that ended yesterday. I decided to pass for now (given the relatively high price, even on discount), but I went back to their site today just to verify the price increase/end of sale and I too saw the 16 bit product.

I've been using the 8-Track version to get me along for now, so I scraped the source code of both the 16 bit and 8 bit feature comparison pages (https://www.bitwig.com/en/8-track/feature-comparison.html) and diff/merged them to create a comparison table that also included the 8 bit version. I was going to post the full table, but the only differences between 16 and 8 are the number of tracks, duh, and the number of VST plugins allowed, 2 versus unlimited.

Now, having unlimited vsts is nice and all, but considering you can generally get the 8 track for free, eg if you purchase a Nektar midi controller, eg $50 for the Nektar, 25-Key Midi Controller,or you find the right promo in the right magazine at the right time, I'm not sure the extra tracks and VST ability really seems worth it, especially if one of those 2 VSTs is the carla rack.

I still see Bitwig Studio in my future, but not sure the $100 16 track is going to make much of a difference, maybe for those people who need the 16 tracks vs 8 and don't want to by another midi controller, but who would that be? :wink:

Both 8 and 16 says no audio bouncing in comparison charts, but I can bounce in 8 track?

AcrossTheSky wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:52 pm .
Grid as Vsti - is what we want ..But....I guess
it'll be exclusive to the Bitwig Full version..
..hopefully we will see the new 16track v..with the Grid and limited nr of modules...
but if they think the Grid is the hook...then we wont...the only option is/will be Full version...
...I m happy having fun with NI Reaktor and 100s...of blocks so.hmmm..500+ modules in the GRid will be hard to resist.. :ud:
Who is "we"?
-JH

We is coming to Bitwig... Beware!

This could have been so clever... :o

stamp wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:42 pm We is coming to Bitwig... Beware!
:lol: ..'we'...I thought of all ppl who want the grid included into the 8,16 v of bitwig.. :clap:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

I dunno, the Grid is a flagship feature at the moment, a bit like Max for Live. Would be strange to see it included in a cut down version. Perhaps if the Grid itself had some functions disabled, however that might not make a good impression for a modular environment.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Return to “Bitwig”