Bitwig is so great and so flawed at the same time.

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:39 pm
but can't in any other DAW I have (Live, Cubase, Reason, S1)
Live can does this too. Alt+arrow keys to step between notes. I own logic and this is one of the reasons i still do a lot in logic because Logic will even audition the midi notes when moving between them. Live will audition the notes and even chords when stepping through the clip but than you have to re select one of the notes again to enter edit mode. There is a workaround to copy/paste the note you're working on to bring back selection. So in Live you could create notes and chords, adjust them audition them without ever letting go of the keyboard.

M-Prod wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:18 am
antic604 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:39 pm
but can't in any other DAW I have (Live, Cubase, Reason, S1)
Live can does this too. Alt+arrow keys to step between notes. I own logic and this is one of the reasons i still do a lot in logic because Logic will even audition the midi notes when moving between them. Live will audition the notes and even chords when stepping through the clip but than you have to re select one of the notes again to enter edit mode. There is a workaround to copy/paste the note you're working on to bring back selection. So in Live you could create notes and chords, adjust them audition them without ever letting go of the keyboard.
But I believe you can't change length of the notes with keyboard? I'm sure one of the things off of my list wasn't possible in Live :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yes you can. It's actually pretty amazing. You can select and deselect (multiple) notes and move horizontal (course and fine) up and down (note or octave), change length (grid or fine). I recently found out the option to audition the notes. Bitwig can pretty much do the same, but i really miss the audition option, although in Bitwig you can jump through the clip/arrangement with separate keys (< and > are my shortcuts, same as in Logic) without deselecting the notes.

In Live; Shift+ right/left arrows changes the length of a note according to the grid, Alt+Shift+right/left arrows to change note length with non-grid granularity.

S1 can do all of that as well. On top of that there are things I really wish Bitwig had like Split at Grid.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

On the topic of things that make you cry in Bitwig I just tried automating something in Bitwig for a song and it's not good. I press the automate write button, I move a knob (in this case a Send knob), it sounds fine when I'm moving the knob but sounds completely off when playing back. I look at the automation data and the data is nowhere near where I played it. It seems to be delayed. There doesn't seem to be any delay compensation for automation data. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. It's making me cry.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:43 pm S1 can do all of that as well. On top of that there are things I really wish Bitwig had like Split at Grid.
Split Tool (5) + Alt and drag the pointer over the note / sample / clip. Added in 3.1
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:13 pm
apoclypse wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:43 pm S1 can do all of that as well. On top of that there are things I really wish Bitwig had like Split at Grid.
Split Tool (5) + Alt and drag the pointer over the note / sample / clip. Added in 3.1
Yeah. I haven't upgraded to 3.1 yet. Waiting to see if Bitwig releases something more interesting first. Good to know they finally added it though.

Am I going crazy or does Bitwig not have a way to keymap the Muted function for clips and notes in the note editor? I've looked everywhere for the command in the Shortcuts menu. If so that's a massive oversight imo. It's extremely tedious to have to right click a menu just to mute and unmute clips and notes. I was surprised this wasn't mapped already and tried to do it myself. If it's there please let me know.

Related to this when you click on the M button on the panel to mute clips it will only take effect if you click away from the clip. That's weird.

I had the same problem because I was looking for a shortcut about “mute” as in the right click menu.
I was then Informed to use Alt+a to toggle clips.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

I tried the FL Studio midi editor the other day and I don't really see the great thing about it. If you know how to stack triads, chord pasting isn't really useful. I couldn't get the arpegiator to arpegiate the chords. Scale is only useful if you have 0 theory knowledge. Bitwig has decent tools to edit the actual midi with cut/write/erase etc. Layered midi editing makes more sense than in FL. Micropitch editing isn't there in FL is it?

IMO they shouldn't waste time on such features since people are better off learning basic music theory.

I do think there could be implemented some features to help with music theory, but what I'm thinking off would be a lot more advanced than what FL Studio has. Some visual guidance that give you some idea of how different notes harmonize together. Basically things to make it easier to make chromatic music.
Join us in the unofficial Bitwig Studio discord server: https://discord.gg/9bYrakS

There are other tools to do that already. Doesn’t need to be in Bitwig.

I’d rather have groove tools, tempo mapping etc.

M-Prod wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pmYes you can. It's actually pretty amazing.
jonljacobi wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:32 pmIn Live; Shift+ right/left arrows changes the length of a note according to the grid, Alt+Shift+right/left arrows to change note length with non-grid granularity.
Sorry, it does indeed. Somehow I've not tested all the combinations :)
Music tech enthusiast

LimEboy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:43 am I tried the FL Studio midi editor the other day and I don't really see the great thing about it. If you know how to stack triads, chord pasting isn't really useful. I couldn't get the arpegiator to arpegiate the chords. Scale is only useful if you have 0 theory knowledge. Bitwig has decent tools to edit the actual midi with cut/write/erase etc. Layered midi editing makes more sense than in FL. Micropitch editing isn't there in FL is it?

IMO they shouldn't waste time on such features since people are better off learning basic music theory.

I do think there could be implemented some features to help with music theory, but what I'm thinking off would be a lot more advanced than what FL Studio has. Some visual guidance that give you some idea of how different notes harmonize together. Basically things to make it easier to make chromatic music.
Wow, I have to say you did understand really everything!!! :clap:

So you tried the PR editor a few minutes and you think you can judge about it??
You don´t even managed to use the arpeggiator...(which is by the way the easiest thing in life after breathing)

And why do you guys always come up with the same non valid arguments??
The most advanced midi tools (no matter if in FLS, no matter if in S1, in Cubase or whereever) have nothing to do with helping out on music theory...
That would be the same to say...:
"Hey you pansy, you looser are using Bitwigs Arpeggiator??...Don´t you know you have to record it in in realtime?? ...For the next time you have the hell learn proper playing keyboard and not to use such music theory cheating tool... Why on earth have the Bitwigs wasted their time to make an arpeggiator"

So why does something like an arpeggiator exists at least as a plugin in every single DAW???
Very easy answer: It´s a timesaver and workflow helper and not everybody is a trained keyboard or piano player...
...and so there are the advanced tools in other DAW´s...

Whats´s wrong with the arp and chop feature in FLS (and keep in mind you can always create and save your own patterns into this tools):

https://youtu.be/YE5S1lb9tH4?t=443

What´s wrong with i.e. easy chord inversion in S1:

https://youtu.be/Qs5rqM5CSY8?t=170

And so there are endless points which could be mentioned here which haven´t to do anything with "Hey boy...go and learn the hell music theory"...
...but while you are still chopping up and rearranging the notes in Bitwig manually for hours to be able to bring different rythmical variations to your chords, the FL Studio guy already finished his song because this took him only seconds and brought possibly more interesting results...

PS: I am writing this as a Bitwig user btw...

Trancit wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:33 am ...but while you are still chopping up and rearranging the notes in Bitwig manually for hours to be able to bring different rythmical variations to your chords...
I don’t need to chop anything up... I play the chords I want.

Return to “Bitwig”