bitwig launcher

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can Bitwig launcher clips hold more than a stereo signal? Could they, for instance, send four channels of audio into an effect with four inputs?

Could you explain a little more what you are trying to do?
Generally speaking a clip can only contain an audio sample afaik. I guess there are ways to send four channels of audio/samples out of a single track to another locations, but I'm not sure if that is what you're after.

I'm wondering if a clip can store more than a 2-channel (stereo) audio file. I want to store virtual control voltages for software modular systems like Reaktor Blocks. Virtual control voltages are just audio. Instead of MIDI notes and CC messages, I'd store multichannel audio. One channel would be pitch, one channel would be gate triggers, one channel would be modulation, etc. The clip would be just a multichannel WAV file. The clip launcher would need to have multiple outputs I could route into an instrument or effects module designed to react to control voltages.

d.vyd wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:45 amI want to store virtual control voltages for software modular systems like Reaktor Blocks.
But Reactor Blocks is a VST so you can automate it like any other?

If you meant actual modular hardware, then in Bitwig - if you have a DC coupled interface - you can have CV as automation / modulation, so it doesn't need to be 'replicated' as audio in a clip :)

https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... instrument
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks folks. I'll record a 3 or 4 channel audio file and see how it works in Bitwig's clip launcher. I see Bitwig offers a demo version.

The Toybox packs for Reaktor Blocks have MUX and DEMUX blocks, these allow you to record or playback up to 24 channels of control signals from Reaktor Blocks into a single stereo audio signal, they are basically designed to do things like what you are describing, see this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxC54rQFHnO ... _copy_link

Apparently I've been living under a rock! These look cool.

David@Toybox, can you provide more information about MUX and DEMUX? I don't see much info on the instagram link or https://www.toyboxaudio.com/.

Maybe you can layer multiple samplers.

David@Toybox, can you provide more information about MUX and DEMUX? I don't see much info on the instagram link or https://www.toyboxaudio.com/.
The MUX block 'multiplexes' the signals (combines all the connected cables into a single audio stream). This is achieved by downsampling the signals in order to squeeze them into a single signal. That means if you try to connect audio signals to the MUX block, like the output of synths etc, they will sound grainy and lofi, but for control signals like pitch, gate, modulation etc this is fine. The signals will be still by running at a much higher rate the than the 'control rate' of most soft-synths or DAW automation.

In this screenshot I've recorded the output from the Gate Sequencer into the audio clip via the MUX block and then I've got another instance of Reaktor on the the clip's channel which decodes the encoded (multiplexed) signal, which then triggers the sampler. In this example I'm only using one channel of the MUX / DEMUX blocks but I could use a a pair of MUX / DEMUX blocks to record and playback 24 channels of data into a stereo audio clip:

David, which pack are MUX and DEMUX in? I don't see them in the free pack.
Last edited by d.vyd on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I downloaded Bitwig and made an attempt without MUX and DEMUX. I put a Reaktor Blocks CV generator on track 1. But, I couldn't seem to record any of its three outputs on track 1. So, I created an audio track (track 2) and selected track 1 as its source. This permitted me to record the first two CV signals as a stereo pair.

I also created another instrument track (track 3) with a Reaktor Blocks Drum placed within the Reaktor FX VST. This only worked with an audio receiver in the first plugin position (not by simply selecting track source). But, the audio receiver device only permits me to select a single stereo pair as input. The drum actually prefers gate, pitch, and velocity. Still, it worked--generating a drum sound.

I couldn't record the drum stereo output on the instrument track. So, I created another audio track (track 4) and selected the drum as the source. This resulted in the image attached. All in all, the process was counter-intuitive and frustrating. Still, that is pretty standard for the first 30 minutes with new software.
bitwig_reaktor.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David, which pack are MUX and DEMUX in?
The Designers Pack (they were added as part of the new V1.1 update)

In my screenshot I simply set the input for the 2nd track: "Audio 2" to be the 1st track: "Reaktor 6" and recorded the output of Reaktor onto it... then placed another instance of Reaktor on the 2nd track, as shown. It's important to set the fader for the 1st channel to exactly zero (command click and type a zero). If you don't do that then the attenuation caused by the fader will mess up how the DEMUX block works..

You can skip using the MUX/DEMUX blocks if you are only using 2 channels, for example you could send a gate signal to the left channel and a pitch signal to the right channel, but you will need to make sure the fader is at zero too, or things will not work as expected.

d.vyd wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:21 pm I downloaded Bitwig and made an attempt without MUX and DEMUX. I put a Reaktor Blocks CV generator on track 1. But, I couldn't seem to record any of its three outputs on track 1. So, I created an audio track (track 2) and selected track 1 as its source. This permitted me to record the first two CV signals as a stereo pair.

I also created another instrument track (track 3) with a Reaktor Blocks Drum placed within the Reaktor FX VST. This only worked with an audio receiver in the first plugin position (not by simply selecting track source). But, the audio receiver device only permits me to select a single stereo pair as input. The drum actually prefers gate, pitch, and velocity. Still, it worked--generating a drum sound.

I couldn't record the drum stereo output on the instrument track. So, I created another audio track (track 4) and selected the drum as the source. This resulted in the image attached. All in all, the process was counter-intuitive and frustrating. Still, that is pretty standard for the first 30 minutes with new software.
bitwig_reaktor.png
I don’t understand why you want to record audio... just use Bitwigs amazing modulation system

pdxindy, I'm experimenting with saving some of the signals Reaktor uses between its "Blocks" modular system. The advantage is that the system has a large number of user-made devices. I will look at Bitwig's modulation options as well.

Return to “Bitwig”