Show / Hide current automation Lanes (multiple tracks)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In my arrangements I often have several automation lanes visible on different tracks. When I want to hide them, I use the shortcut for show/hide automation. But this needs key presses. First will expand automation for ALL tracks, second one collapses them. But now I have lost my selection of expanded tracks. Because when I press the shortcut again, it expands automation on ALL tracks, not the few I was working on.

Maybe I am missing something here. Is this possible? To toggle between hide/show the currently shown automation lanes.

In Ableton this is possible. I can collapse the lanes I'm not working on, and A toggles automation on/off but keeps those tracks collapsed.

So what do you think, anyone else would like to be able to toggle like this?

[edit: simplified for readability]
Last edited by M-Prod on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

M-Prod wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:46 pmMaybe I am missing something here. Is this possible? To toggle between hide/show the currently shown automation lanes.
In Bitwig you can "star" automation lane - that's the way to mark to lanes you're currently working on.

Then in shortcuts there are two options:
- Toggle Automation Shown for Selected Track - which will show ONLY the "starred" ones
- Toggle EXISTING Automation Shown for Selected Track - which will show ALL used automation lanes

I mapped 1st to Shift+A, 2nd to Ctrl+Shift+A and it works pretty great
I also have Shift+S to toggle solo track, Shift+M to toggle mute, Shift+R to toggle arm recording.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks for your answer Antic you are always very helpful. I'm aware of the starring feature. But I would want it to remember which tracks I had expanded. And by tracks I don't mean automation lanes. E.g. If I am working on automation on track 2, 5, 6 and 7, I would want to collapse the automation lanes of these tracks, and a moment later open them back again. Now I can close them all (and that takes two presses) but if I want to work on them a moment later, I need to expand them one by one.

It's not a big issue but I often work on automation on specific tracks and do a lot of expand/collapse actions so this would really speed things up.

M-Prod wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:15 am...But I would want it to remember which tracks I had expanded...
Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Yeah, that would be nice indeed, although personally I wasn't a great fan of automation view in live 10 (that's an understatement...) and it was one of the reasons I switched. But two years later (and a bit wiser :D ) I actually would like to have it in Bitwig as well and then obviously it'd have to remember what was shown and what was hidden.

And I really think this whole area needs an overhaul, as it wasn't touched since 1.x:
- the "stars" system is kinda pointless and looks really out of place in te GUI
- the 'x' on the automation header has to go! you shouldn't be able to completely delete automation that easily - it should hide it (remove the "star" if they insist on using it still) and removing should only be possible from the contextual right-click menu
- I don't really like the fact that I see currently touched parameter in separate lane cluttering the screen - it should be overlaid on the MIDI / audio and only if I want to "pin" it, then it should go down to separate lane
- I'd love to see the tools & features added to Live in 10.1, i.e. some default shapes (sine, square, triangle, etc.) and ability to scale / stretch / morph automation by dragging borders and corners of selected area
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

It's also pretty annoying how the automation doesn't snap as reliably to the grid as in Live 10. Those 10.1 workflow features (navigation & automation...) have actually become lifesaver while waiting for Bitwig to do something about the piano roll situation. :scared:

But it's always relief to get the midi files /stems over to Bitwig for sound design/mixing... :tu:

Return to “Bitwig”