Upgrade from 1.x to 3.x

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I'm a beginner (hobby) producer and already have a license of Bitwig 1.x purchased about 4 years ago. I believe the software is still serving me well and I never (and probably won't for a long time) hit any walls with the things I'm trying to do.

That said I'm wondering if Bitwig 3 is for me and if there are (and what are) under the hood benefits to upgrading from 1.x to 3.x. Did the whole thing get more stable, is the audio engine noticeably better, faster, stronger?

I was quite bummed that with all the updates the controller scripts didn't get any love... even my Arturia Keystep doesn't have any specific support even while being one of the most popular MIDI controllers out there.

As for instruments I'm happy to use the stock Polysynth, Drum Machine, Reverb, Echo and a couple of external VSTs for piano, bass and the Moog Minitaur's own. Maybe if the Sampler was really another level I could see that as a reason to upgrade...

My hardware setup is simple: I have a Arturia Keystep + Moog Minitaur and a Novation Circuit. Maybe at some point I might add a Launchpad to my setup just because I love working with clips and scenes.

Easy: Download the free demo, make a track, see if you like the new features. If you like them buy it, if you don't need them stay on Bitwig 1.

Yeah I did that and in fact I think it messed up my presets (had to reinstall the 1.x version)... but from my point of view nothing I can "see" or "feel" is worth the upgrade, which is why I was referencing the under the hood stuff... but maybe I'm missing something obvious that was added in version 2 or 3 and that it changed the game for you?

On the other hand I did try to also move to Abelton 10 but I just can't bring myself to use it: I find the interface confusing, although I think I could probably get used to it. I just love how everything just works with Abelton.

It seems you have answered your own question. I say stick with 1. There have been quite some under the hood improvements. Most noticeable to me (Mac) is the startup speed but the audio engine was fine and still is. If you have no specific issues concerning stability or speed I would say don't change. Upgrading or switching also brings new issues, distractions and stuff to learn.

But if you really feel you enter the rabbit hole.. You might want to skim through this list https://www.bitwig.com/en/previous_releases to see what has been going on. Ignore the x.xx updates and just check the whole and dot updates. So check 2.4, 2,5, 3.0 etc, ignore e.g. the points mentioned at 2.5.1.

Sampler btw looks deceptively simple but is very capable in V3 so don't dismiss it because of it's looks.

But If you keep things simple, and by your explanation that seems to be the case , version 1 is fine. About Ableton, I'm not sure what you mean by interface confusing vs love how everything works, that seems contradictionary. But imo Ableton is even simpler. Bitwig's greatest reward comes when you put in the time to get t know it and cater it to your needs (like shortcuts), but if you keep things simple Ableton is definitely worth a shot. The bundled content (suite) is better. Also simpler and less esoteric in general. But buying ableton (esp. suite) will cost you quite a bit more than a bitwig update license.

If you decide to upgrade, you can use the Flexi driver from Mossgrabers. You can make the key step behave the way you want, although that it will take a little configuration from your part.

Most of all if you're happy now, don't worry about missing out, make music!

Hi M-Prod, thanks for your thoughtful answer. What I meant about Ableton was the way hardware always works with it so if you decide to incorporate a Launchpad or something else into your workflow it will just work out of the box. On the other hand the interface seems designed with a thick pencil and the screen is just difficult to navigate for me, but I guess I could just get used to it.

There are lots more controllers that work out of the box now than back in the v1 days. Also, these days there is the Flexi script so one can make any controller work with Bitwig even if there is no specific script. Launchpad works fine in Bitwig today.

Bitwig is significantly more solid today than back in v1. Many many bugs and little issues were fixed along the way. I found v1 frustrating in that regard.

Sampler is far far better today. There is Phase-4 added which is a top notch synth. There is the Grid which allows one to make all sorts of synth sounds. For example, the main Sampler functionality is a Grid module. Want to use 2 filters with a Sampler patch? Easy to do in the Grid.

Bitwig also added the voice stacking. I think that makes Polysynth significantly more capable.

The modulation system is reconceived and much better and more powerful. It works per voice for Bitwig instruments so you can add an extra envelope or LFO per voice to Polysynth if you wish. So much stuff like midi sync, plugin handling, etc etc etc are significantly improved.

Today you can do time signature changes, offset a tracks timing, PDC is better, there is proper midi channel support, hardware support is much better, you can export to CV for modular and so on.

There is also multi-core support the Bitwig synths. I’m sure there’s other stuff that I take for granted today that I would be shocked to lose.

My 12 months has ended and I landed on the 303, so far no real musthaves, but just a matter of time before they throw something in that, is.. :)
So if I grab the Christmas deal upgrade, I can wait and activate the upgrade when I feel it is time right? :)
If yes, then I don't know why there was so much whine before about the new plan, very fair, and the devs must eat and stay motivated. :)

Yes... buy it on sale and activate whenever you want. Works great!

So it shall be done! thanks pdxindy :cool:

Return to “Bitwig”