Low and muffled sound in Bitwig???

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it me or does Bitwig sound seem to be low and muffled?

I am working on drum stuff and it just sounds muffled and when i had a synth on top of it it is even worse. I have tried this kind of work in ableton and frankly it has more punch to it. I had tried the bitwig demo before and it did not "feel" like that at all. Even at full max on my computer volume i struggle to get a sense of the real feel of the drum...

let me know what you think?

It's you.

kokonut1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:01 am Is it me or does Bitwig sound seem to be low and muffled?

I am working on drum stuff and it just sounds muffled and when i had a synth on top of it it is even worse. I have tried this kind of work in ableton and frankly it has more punch to it. I had tried the bitwig demo before and it did not "feel" like that at all. Even at full max on my computer volume i struggle to get a sense of the real feel of the drum...

Maybe you samples have a Fade-In curve.
I found importing samples from Ableton to be better with Elastique rather than RAW.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

This brings me back to those which DAW sounds the best threads I used to see around the web some years back. :lol:

Maybe you have auto fade in enabled like bisc said.
-JH

Well, don't forget about SRC (sample rate converters).
Sample rate converters (SRCs) are often used when working with digital audio, even when the user isn't aware of it. Almost every ADC or DAC converter, whether it is an expensive external unit or a cheap sound card, is working with so called "oversampling", performing A/D or D/A conversion at a higher sampling rate (up to a few megahertz) and lower bit depth (typically 1 bit). Such oversampling is performed in the digital domain by DSP inside of the converter. Software sample rate conversion can happen transparently for the user, inside a sampler or during mixing of audio streams at different sampling rates by the operating system, or at the user's command (i.e. converting a project from 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz during the mastering of an Audio CD.) - http://src.infinitewave.ca/help.html
Here's a comparison of popular software, not least, DAWs, including Bitwig 2.4.3: http://src.infinitewave.ca/

lunardigs wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:18 am Here's a comparison of popular software, not least, DAWs, including Bitwig 2.4.3: http://src.infinitewave.ca/
Look at all the aliasing :o
To be fair, it's at ~-100dB but still, and why is Bitwig 2.4.3 worse then 2.1.4 in that comparison.

kokonut1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:01 am Is it me or does Bitwig sound seem to be low and muffled?

Not in my experience, so there has to be something else at play here. Can you render the same drum loop from Bitwig and Ableton and post it here? Or even better record a good quality video of how you have everything set up? Sure there might be some differences with SRC or fades, but - from your description, at least - sounds like the difference is orders of magnitude bigger.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I went through the same issues.
Auto fade is the culprit.

Biscotto wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 pmI went through the same issues.
This doesn't sound like a "problem" with auto fades, to be honest:
Even at full max on my computer volume i struggle to get a sense of the real feel of the drum...
But unsurprisingly the OP is M.I.A. :(
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:50 pm
Biscotto wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 pmI went through the same issues.
This doesn't sound like a "problem" with auto fades, to be honest:
Even at full max on my computer volume i struggle to get a sense of the real feel of the drum...
But unsurprisingly the OP is M.I.A. :(
Definitely no a problem once becoming aware of it.

Yeah, I too feel the sound is muffled in Bitwig 3.

After upgrading Bitwig from 1 to 3, The same project sounds worse on ver. 3. to my ear.
And I was wondering why...or maybe just me...?

But now the SRC quality might has gotten worse and it should makes sense. I set 48khz for my project while some samples I use are 44.1khz, where SRC quality matters...

defelie wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:29 am Yeah, I too feel the sound is muffled in Bitwig 3.

After upgrading Bitwig from 1 to 3, The same project sounds worse on ver. 3. to my ear.
And I was wondering why...or maybe just me...?

But now the SRC quality might has gotten worse and it should makes sense. I set 48khz for my project while some samples I use are 44.1khz, where SRC quality matters...
Using low quality realtime SRC like that won't make anything sound "muffled". It will simply add some very low level truncation distortion.

The "muffled" thing makes no sense, y'all. ;)

defelie wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:29 amAfter upgrading Bitwig from 1 to 3, The same project sounds worse on ver. 3. to my ear. And I was wondering why...or maybe just me...
How many years it's been between 1 and 3 - three? four? How much your hearing changed in that period? How much has your perception and taste in music? How much has your setup?

This is getting ridiculous, really.

And it's always the people with few posts...
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:51 pm This is getting ridiculous, really.

Really?
So having more posts then someone else makes you more knowledgeable.
IIRC you're over 40 but still acting like a child. Grow up and show some respect to other members.
We are all here to learn something and not to insult each other :uhuhuh:

stamp wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:40 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:51 pm This is getting ridiculous, really.

Really?
So having more posts then someone else makes you more knowledgeable.
IIRC you're over 40 but still acting like a child. Grow up and show some respect to other members.
We are all here to learn something and not to insult each other :uhuhuh:
Yes, really. And I'm not saying that more posts = more knowledge! Just that there's quite high correlation between someone having a very one-sided, highly opinionated, typically negative and usually not backed with any tangible proof post AND low post count.

It makes you wonder why someone who's on the forum 4+ years and has 5 posts suddenly comes to say things like the ones I quoted, in a pretty niche sub-forum no less?

That's all.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”