Strange VST/VST3 problem with BWS on macOS [SOLVED - ABLETON TO BLAME :)]

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bitwig Studio 3.0.3
macOS 10.14.6

I've just ran into a problem which I think may be down to 2 possible causes. I've just upgraded from macOS 10.14.5 to 10.14.6, and I' ran a full scan and fix on CleanMyMac.

What has happened is that when I load in a previously saved project, it is not loading in the VST/VST3 for the individual tracks of the projects. In the bottom device panel it just shows "Plug-in missing". This is despite the fact that the browsers show the full complement of my VST/VST3s.

I can get round the problem by adding a new dummy track, and then loading a new instance of the VST/VST3 in question. When I do that the existing tracks then load their plug-ins correctly. Moreover, once a VST/VST3 has been restored in this way, it will work in any other project I load. In other words the problem can be slowly fixed, but it is a PITA!

Has anyone come across this problem before, and do you have a quick solution rather than the long-winded one I have described here?
Last edited by carlca on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

Unlikely as it sounds, the problem turned out to be the fact that I've just installed Ableton 10.1.2 which seems to have some major VST related problems, and which evidently affects Bitwig, presumably at the OS level, as well. I've reverted to the Ableton 10.1.2b10 beta and it, and more importantly, Bitwig are running as they should!

There is very little chance it is anything to do with Ableton. How would you think it is effecting Bitwig?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Sigh! While I am aware that correlation does not necessarily indicate causation, the fact that the problem manifested itself while Ableton 10.1.2 was open, and it has already been reported that 10.1.2 has some VST related issues, and the fact that when I closed 10.1.2 and re-opened 10.1.2b10, Bitwig was no longer affected (!)... this all led me to suspect strongly that maybe 10.1.2 was keeping the VSTs open at the macOS level thus locking them and rendering them unable to be opened in Bitwig.

Just out of interest, on what basis do you suggest that "there is very little chance it is anything to do with Ableton"? I'm always keen to learn 😉

Well that’s what I was asking!

So you had Ableton and bitwig running at the same time when you had the problems?

Yes! I should have made that clearer. I'm currently porting some old Logic Pro and Ableton projects to Bitwig, so it is not unusual for me to have 2 or possibly 3 of those DAWs open at the same time.

Ah ok I understand now.

Return to “Bitwig”