laptop vs pc spikes

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I run ver 2.3.1 on a new asus vivobook s14 and i getting quite a few cpu spikes compared to old pc. On the task manager its says the the cpu usage is around 29% on the laptop and around 41% on the pc. The benchmarks show the the laptop has 8953 and the pc with an old amd cpu at 6389 so i know the laptop has a better cpu. Is there any way to pinpoint the issue and can it be solved?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by clyde.cf on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

asus vivobook s14 specs:intel core i7 8565, 8 gb ram, very fast ssd
pc:amd fx6300, 8 gb ram, slow 1tb hdd

The usual suspects:
Run it plugged it in, run it at highest performance with no CPU throttling or energy saving, make sure it doesn't overheat, make sure there isn't a ton of crap installed by Asus that runs in the background, make sure you have latest drivers installed...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

The biggest culprit for spikes is always the Windows "Power Plan". By default Windows runs in a "Balanced" power plan, which puts idle cores to sleep, and that's a huge source of CPU spikes in any DAW.

Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings. Then choose "High Performance". Always run in High Performance mode when using any DAW.

Then also check other important things described in this article from Audient:
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/ar ... -For-Audio

Thanks for the tips... I will give it a go and report back...

just changed the power plan to high... spikes are gone ...thanks...👍

You're welcome.
I guess bitwig support answers this question about a hundred times a day ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

So do we, lol ;)

You might give it a try to turn off your WiFi.
hide.h [MySite]

Google also undervolting, you can make a laptop run a lot better that way.

Return to “Bitwig”