Spectrum Analyzer shows A4 frequency as 880hz?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Am I going mad or is the Spectrum Analyzer wrong? Everything appears to be higher than it should be...? :?:

Screenshot. This is of FM-4 with just one operator set to 1.00 and no modulation playing an A4 note.

I must be doing something wrong but can't figure out what...

Last edited by domtak on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What does your ears say? Try some free analyzer, what does that say?

G-Tune also says 880hz when playing that note.

I don't get it, it's in the Piano Roll as an A4 note. I've switched out the instrument to another and it's the same. So basically everything is being played at an octave above? Is there a setting that I'm not seeing / aware of?

Not that I'm aware of. Confused me too when I was trying to figure out notes to sing and it kept telling me I was singing an octave higher than I was supposed to.

Some DAWs and VSTs set "middle C" as C3 instead of as C4. Bitwig falls in the camp that calls middle C (MIDI note #60) as "C3".

So when you play an A4 because in other DAWs you've used that would be an "middle A" (440 Hz), in Bitwig it's one octave higher at 880 Hz, because in Bitwig, the "middle A" (440 Hz) would be A3.

You'll get used to it ;) Plenty of other VSTs and DAWs do this as well. There is no one single standard.

Return to “Bitwig”