Using sustain pedal with multi-channel instruments?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So what I mean is instruments like Omnisphere, Kontakt, U-he sysnths etc. who do support multi-channel midi, but don't adhere to the MPE spec so there is no use of global channel 1 for things like global pitch bend and sustain pedal. In particular I'm trying to figure out how to use sustain pedal for these instruments while using my linnstrument.

I have my sustain pedal hooked up to regular midi keyboards like Komplete Kontrol and a Novation SL. So it seems the sustain sends from channel 1.

Any ideas?

You would have to send the sustain to all channels at the same time. Some combination of note FX Layer and channel mapping might do it... Maybe you have to collect it separately and send it via note receiver...
U-he does support MPE though and Omnisphere as far as I know also... NI needs more requests, send them in...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:16 am U-he does support MPE though and Omnisphere as far as I know also...
U-he does not support the full spec, they don’t use channel 1 for global messages. They use multichannel midi with support for mpe messages on those channels. Omnisphere doesn’t support mpe at all, however you can easily create copies of instrument across the 8 parts, each of which can respond to a different channel, plus there is poly after touch and you can use cc74 as modulator, therefor you can get an mpe type set up for 8 voices. Again, no global channel and not full polyphony of mpe. Omnisphere functions very similar to kontakt when it comes to mpe stuff, copies of an instrument responding on different channels.

No other ideas about how to take a midi message like sustain, which arrives on channel 1, and send it to all other midi channels?

Return to “Bitwig”