I would like Bitwig to allow me to assign a MIDI control to focus a specific device or track.

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

First: sincere apologies if this is possible. I have looked and asked support about it, but no dice so far.

Long time Ableton hacker (since v1 in 2001) and new and happy Bitwig hacker.

So, in Ableton I could assign one of the many MIDI buttons I have to focus a specific device. This would then snap my motorized faderbox's sliders to the macro parameters for that device. Super handy for working without the screen and mouse.

Use case: Buttons 1-8 bring up the bxconsole devices for tracks 1-8, snapping my sliders to the macro controls for gain, comp, eq, etc. You can navigate very, very quick this way. I used this literally all the time, labelling the buttons with tape, etc.

Love Bitwig, but I do feel the slowness of using previous/next track midi assignments and then previous/next device. And I have to look at the screen to make sure I get the right ones. Right now I'm grouping everything on a track and using parameter pages to do this, sort of, but I still need to look at the screen to make sure I have the right ones.... with a hard assignment of button->device I don't and I'm confident that I have the right controls.

Maybe Moss can add this to Generic Flexi script, select Device by name. But I don't know if it's possible to read device name in API.

Yes, this needs to be done in the controller script. Which controller do you use?

i don’t think that’s the right place. i think that the device tabs themselves should be a target for midi control. like the device enable/disable buttons, as it is in Live. I can’t see any other way to do it properly.

i use flexi with a bcr2000, bcf2000 and a K-mix.

Just came across this thread 2 years later. Do you have any update? If I understand correctly there is currently no way to map device focus (instantly switch to a vst, chain, fx layer etc.)
I have a pretty long device chain and looking for a solution to jump directly (via cc message for example) to a specific device so the parameters are instantly accessible on my controller as opposed to scrolling through devices one by one.

maciej86 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:13 amI have a pretty long device chain and looking for a solution to jump directly (via cc message for example) to a specific device so the parameters are instantly accessible on my controller as opposed to scrolling through devices one by one.
Put that chain in a ..."Chain" container and map the parameters to Chain's remote controls.

Most likely your controller already sees them automatically.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”