HW CV Instrument - Doepfer Dark Energy I - Scarlett 18i20 1st Gen

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everybody,

I spent a lot of time last weekend trying to make it work, to no avail. I'm starting to think that the Scarlett doesn't have enough output to drive the Doepfer.

I've managed to get some weak signal out of the synth but the pitch was all over the place and couldn't be calibrated either automatically or manually.

Does anybody have any experience with this setup?

Thanks in advance
Win 11 | Linnstrument | Bitwig | MOTU Digital Performer | Kurzweil K2000R | Roland JV-1080 | Roland JV-2080 | Roland GR-50 | Doepfer Dark Energy | Xfer Serum | UVI Falcon | u-he | iZotope | Arturia | Synapse Audio

Most audio interfaces don’t deal with DC out, they remove DC. Expert sleepers are made for this and MotU interfaces are known for it to work with DC out...

So there is no hope :roll: thanks for your reply, I guess I'll try to find a second hand MOTU...

Cheers!
Win 11 | Linnstrument | Bitwig | MOTU Digital Performer | Kurzweil K2000R | Roland JV-1080 | Roland JV-2080 | Roland GR-50 | Doepfer Dark Energy | Xfer Serum | UVI Falcon | u-he | iZotope | Arturia | Synapse Audio

I have a Presonus Studio 18/24 which does DC out just fine.

If you have some DIY skills, you can set the HW CV Out device to AC Mode and make a rectifier cables, as described on this page: https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwaacencoder.html
That should work with any audio interfaces.

But Universal Audio, Presonus and a few others have interfaces with DC coupled outs.

Thank you Justin3am, that looks nice and easy!

I recommend the Expert Sleepers CV modules. Also the Behringer UMC1820 can output CV in a bit glitchy way, it does work with all signals, it just can't hold a constant voltage, so stable modulation values will drift. But for moving stuff there's lots of outputs there, and then through ADAT you can get 8 more with one of the Expert Sleepers modules. (the inputs do have a DC filter on the UMC1820 so you can't record CV, which is a shame)

Notice that the voltage output of the MOTUs might not be 10V, which is the eurorack control standard. Most devices actually produce a max of 3.5V for the line outs. Don't quote me on that, but IIRC that's how it is. The Expert Sleepers modules output 10 volts, so a maximum range of all modules can be used.

Return to “Bitwig”