Bitwig 3.1 Composer-Focused Update: Top-3 Wishes Poll

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1) Normalize a track/clip/event, with the option to set a ceiling. And correct the DC offset while you're at it :D

2) Option to export a track as mono.

3) Time stretching options in the Sampler.

So here's a GIF showing my problem:

As you can see there's no way to copy or duplicate just the envelopes. The Time tool duplicates both the envelopes and the audio.
pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 am Up to you whether you want to use the existing features or not...

For feature requests you should email support so they know.
Have I missed something or are your "existing features" still not even close to what I'm asking for?

All I see in the Automation Editor Panel is Volume/Pan/Mute/S1 Effect/Crossfade Mode and none of them corresponds to the functions in the Detail Editor Panel.

Could you show me how to edit the formant and pitch envelopes in the "Automation Editor Window..."?

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 am
Puddi wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:34 am
pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 pmUse the Automation Editor Window...
Still not what I want.

I just want to be able to copy and duplicate the gain/pan/pitch/formant envelopes inside an audio clip. It seems like a pretty simple fix so hopefully Bitwig will address it in the future.
Up to you whether you want to use the existing features or not...

For feature requests you should email support so they know.
automating audio gain is not the same as doing so with clip automations (using mixer volume), as you see gain affecting waveform directly. also you can't automate audio event pitch/formant outside of the audio event.

Puddi wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:36 amCould you show me how to edit the formant and pitch envelopes in the "Automation Editor Window..."?
You initially asked about gain and did not mention pitch or formant. I was responding to your specific request... no big deal. I'm all in favor of your feature request.

It's beyond me why we can't copy automation for gain/pitch etc but still we can copy automation dots elsewhere. I wouldn't even consider fixing this fault (along a with lots of other user interface inconsistencies) a feature request but a matter of maintaining the fundamentals of the program and keeping things in order. Hopefully they will overhaul the entire UI in 3.1. It's not particularly convenient to learn by trial and error where the user interface behaves like you expect it to and where it does not.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:44 pm You initially asked about gain and did not mention pitch or formant. I was responding to your specific request... no big deal. I'm all in favor of your feature request.
Gotcha.
kpv wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 pm It's beyond me why we can't copy automation for gain/pitch etc but still we can copy automation dots elsewhere. I wouldn't even consider fixing this fault (along a with lots of other user interface inconsistencies) a feature request but a matter of maintaining the fundamentals of the program and keeping things in order. Hopefully they will overhaul the entire UI in 3.1. It's not particularly convenient to learn by trial and error where the user interface behaves like you expect it to and where it does not.
Yeah, I agree that this is more of a bug than a missing feature. +1 on the UI overhaul.

Some more suggestions to improve the UX of core DAW features in Bitwig:

1) Arrange view: show current level setting of each track (display the numeric value). Today, the current level is only shown when touching and moving the fader.

2) Mixer view: Allow editing multiple channels at a time. Today's behavior: if you select (shift-click) multiple channels and e.g. click "mute" on one of the selected channels, only this one channel will be muted. Expected behavior: all selected channels will get muted. Same for solo, level, pan etc. That's how it works in all other major DAWs (Logic, Ableton etc.)

3) Mixer view: Allow resizing mixer channels to make them narrower (not wider!), so that more channels fit on one screen and less scrolling is needed.

A button for randomized search results or item listings in Bitwig's browser would be awesome. Something like the loopcloud one. Good way to find some "unused" samples or presets.

Amfi wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:46 pm Some more suggestions to improve the UX of core DAW features in Bitwig:

1) Arrange view: show current level setting of each track (display the numeric value). Today, the current level is only shown when touching and moving the fader.

2) Mixer view: Allow editing multiple channels at a time. Today's behavior: if you select (shift-click) multiple channels and e.g. click "mute" on one of the selected channels, only this one channel will be muted. Expected behavior: all selected channels will get muted. Same for solo, level, pan etc. That's how it works in all other major DAWs (Logic, Ableton etc.)

3) Mixer view: Allow resizing mixer channels to make them narrower (not wider!), so that more channels fit on one screen and less scrolling is needed.
Exactly how are these composer-related?

Midi stretching is a must!

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 pm
Amfi wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:46 pm Some more suggestions to improve the UX of core DAW features in Bitwig:

I guess you are referring to mixing vs. composing. But can you really make this distinction? And does it matter? I do all at the same time (record midi/audio and mix) - it's more of an iterative process

Do more with less clicks allows you to compose faster, doesn't it?

stamp wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:14 pm

it does indeed

Multi-takes / Comping

Match Tempo to Region
(for when you want to match a project to a loop you recorded)
Posted about it 2+ years ago: viewtopic.php?t=478843
Also requested on the Bitwig site.
Fiddly workaround for now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6add_lx5E

Amfi wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 pm
stamp wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:14 pm

it does indeed
With that as your criteria, you can suggest anything you want. Hijack away.

Return to “Bitwig”