Bitwig delay vs others

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not sure why you'd ever need another delay outside of bitwig's delays. I mean you can put anything in the feedback path so you can make whatever kind you want. Plus endless modulation, I can't think of anything missing. I do use NI Replika XT since I own it in Komplete but probably wouldn't have bought it on it's own. Fun to try out something with interesting presets sometimes though.

I’m gonna have to agree that Delay-4 is the coolest delay I have ever used. Inserting FX into each Pre/Post + Feedback + modulation?! It’s a monster.

Hez wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 pm Just an FYI, there is currently a bug with Delay-4 where the Global Feedback knob on the right hand side actually attenuates input gain as well. In other words, if you scale global feedback all the way down to zero, there will be no delay signal at all because all the input gains have been reduced to zero as well. I would probably leave that knob on 100% until the bug gets fixed and scale your feedbacks using the matrix in the centre instead.

Support are aware of it but it's probably a fairly low priority ticket compared to making sure the grid is working properly etc.
Yes that bug is still here... that's is just silly.

BTW This is my pingpong preset. A macro for the two feedback lines compensates for this bug. (But the dry signal still gets attenuated a little, pretty annoying). Also I have a Feedback macro mapped so that when I dial to minimum, the feedback lines are set about halfway so I can hear at least a ping and a pong. Because this is not a true pingpong delay, if these values are set to zero you only hear delay line 1 'ping', where in a true pingpong delay minimal feedback means 1 ping and 1 pong. This kind of replicates that.

All in all I would still like a dedicated pingpong delay, but hey, I love delay-4 for all it's other uses and I have echoboy, but I like using native daw plugins. I guess it fit's Bitwig's philosophy better this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Since everything in Bitwig is modular, the delay-(1, 2, 4) have lots of options. You can insert other plugins before, after and into the feedpack chain.

FXGrid goes even further.

Every parameter can be automated, modulated, ....

I can't think of any reason to use any other delay plugins. I have many delay plugins, but just don't use them.

..Speed and ease of use. Sometimes it's quicker to get specific results from e.g. echoboy especially if you're after some colouring or groove. E.g. if you want a tape saturated ping pong delay slightly off centre and not too wide and some wobble, groove and saturated focussed on only the top end, that's quick in Echoboy, sounds great and easy to fine tune. This is more work in Delay 4. But the thing about Delay 4 is this actually can be done and that can't be said about many other delays and I'm sure you could build your own 'echoboy' in the grid though the CPU load will be more.

The thing is, you should always save more complicated patches/ fx chains, so you only need to do all the configuring of that special patch once. Like, I spent days tuning the details of my Poladroid Delay patch (in the Wündertute pack) but now that it's done, I use it all the time.

Taika-Kim wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:44 pm The thing is, you should always save more complicated patches/ fx chains, so you only need to do all the configuring of that special patch once. Like, I spent days tuning the details of my Poladroid Delay patch (in the Wündertute pack) but now that it's done, I use it all the time.
I never save anything. Makes for more unique sounds and trying random stuff. No sound twice. Well thats my approach. I love delay-4 but still use D16 Tekturon as well. Seems like delay-4 can literally be any delay you want, with a bit of work. Theres times when I just want to whip up a quick delay visually so use Tekturon. Delay-4 is good for textures with modulation.

Taika-Kim wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:44 pm The thing is, you should always save more complicated patches/ fx chains, so you only need to do all the configuring of that special patch once. Like, I spent days tuning the details of my Poladroid Delay patch (in the Wündertute pack) but now that it's done, I use it all the time.
Coming as a MUX user, this is what saves so much time. Once I've built a patch/modules, I save that thing so all I have to do it tweak it later. Very powerful to have a full modular suite, but reinventing the wheel is pointless to do more than once when the wheel is digital and can be copied forever 8)
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

I'm going to take the other side: I'm a delay snob, and a fan of several different delays. The subtle variations in behavior and character matter to me. Why would I spend a couple of hours trying to imitate a particular Valhalla Delay mode when I can just load up Valhalla Delay?

But as a relative newcomer to Bitwig, I do appreciate that there's FINALLY a way to patch an effect inside a delay feedback loop, as well as relatively easy ways to separate effects channels into multiband, mid/side etc. and then modulate them however I want. I'm taking advantage of that for sure, but I'm not going to even try to replace my favorite delays :)

note that Bitwig's Delay devices have more pitch 'smear' when modulating it's timing, than Gird delay modules. it's probably due to oversampling difference. so for more glitchy sounds you would be better off using Grid.

foosnark wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:05 pm Why would I spend a couple of hours trying to imitate a particular Valhalla Delay mode when I can just load up Valhalla Delay?
As far as the end sound, no need to replace your favorite delay! But I like to make all the sounds myself from Init/scratch. Just sheer satisfaction of making it myself and and it’s hella fun fu**ing around. Learn new things along the way. Sometimes I go through Tekturons patches and if I find something I like, Ill recreate it with Delay-4 :lol: Same with synths with the exception of the mighty KorgM1. Ill use those presets without hesitation :D

Was watching videos on ambient music production and came across a guy talking“bouncing ball” delays. Pretty interesting. Havent had time to hop on computer but any tips to create that effect? Trying picture it and seems like using an lfo to speed up the delay and have it retrigger should do the trick.

Taika-Kim wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 am Delay-4 is the most advanced delay that I've seen, combined with the BW modulation system. If you want colour, just drop a colouring plugin somewhere inside the chain.
Uhe's MFM2 is pretty advanced too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnDU6i0aFX8

this is no slouch either
https://youtu.be/cjN-S5W8B5o

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 pm I'm not sure why you'd ever need another delay outside of bitwig's delays. I mean you can put anything in the feedback path so you can make whatever kind you want. Plus endless modulation, I can't think of anything missing. I do use NI Replika XT since I own it in Komplete but probably wouldn't have bought it on it's own. Fun to try out something with interesting presets sometimes though.
It’s funny reading this a year later. Since then I’ve actually purchased both audiothing Outerspace as well as Valhalla delay. I guess it was partly vintage fetishism, but for outer space it was also the spring reverb which gives the whole unit a specific character. Vdely has some algorithms that make for really interesting modulations using short delays so I guess I found it yeilded interesting effects even if in theory I could set up something similar with Bitwig’s delays.

Another obvious benefit is that vsts can be loaded in other hosts within Bitwig like Maschine or Freestyle, both of which I like to use.

Butwug wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 pm
Taika-Kim wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 am Delay-4 is the most advanced delay that I've seen, combined with the BW modulation system. If you want colour, just drop a colouring plugin somewhere inside the chain.
It really is the most advanced, from what Ive seen. The 4different delay lines with pre/post fx is limitless. You can have one delay line pitch shift, another with color, another sweeping left to right, and last one filtered. Thats before even touching the feed/routing matrix :lol:
and you can put the entire thing into a delay-1's insert for even more pre/post feedback options.

Return to “Bitwig”