Suggestions for improvement on Bitwig 3's Grid

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure if this has been suggested... I am having a hard time discerning between active and non active Steps in the Gates/Data module. I've adjusted gamma and all. I'm not color blind. Just having a hard time seeing what is the current step. Anyone else?
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

I've already suggested that they add something like 'Big step' value, that would make only every 'n' step with solid color, wile other dimmed, (active steps bing white is ok) makes it way more readable. It's becoming a problem when you zoom out enough or get too many steps on a short module (although you can stretch the module to make steps bigger). For now I suggest changing color of the module to make active steps more visible.

I want to have the INFO about a Modul in the preview.
Want first to know, then use. ;)
Helpful for Math and Logic Moduls.

Lots of good ideas in this thread..

Some things must be just a matter of time..
(Containers, mseg, wavetable oscilator)

But what about the general direction.
Should they stick to small simple modules?
Or would it be wise to add more advanced modules over time?

And what about a wrapper, that allows you to turn any vst in a module inside the grid?
How will this influence stabillity and performance?

And then there is the SDK (if there is one) will they offer it to 3rd parties or the user community?
To compete with the competition (max/reaktor) this could be something important.

There is so many good ideas that could be “leased” from other products..
Like a series of modules that mimics hardware. (Like an Arp2600 filter or a CS80 oscilator section)
Or simple things, like the way oscillot presents 8 macro’s for each patch in the device panel..

So far what sets bitwig above all other software modular synths is the interface, espescially the inspector..

I have one other question, for people using touchscreens, how does the grid function with just a touchscreen, as i am considering going full touch.

Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pm Some things must be just a matter of time..
Containers seems inevitable. Also some sort of interface builder does too. Bitwig's Sampler has a wavetable implementation (Cycles mode). The Sampler Osc module in the Grid is the same.
Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pmAnd what about a wrapper, that allows you to turn any vst in a module inside the grid?
I'm in no hurry to see VST's inside the Grid. I assume it will get there since regular Bitwig devices like the delay's can have VST's inside the feedback path.
Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pmAnd then there is the SDK (if there is one) will they offer it to 3rd parties or the user community?
To compete with the competition (max/reaktor) this could be something important.
There has been no mention by Bitwig about that.
Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pmOr simple things, like the way oscillot presents 8 macro’s for each patch in the device panel..
Bitwig already has this. The remote control pages. You can make as many pages of 8 macros as you wish. There are preset pages which are saved per preset and device pages which are there for all instances of that device. Device pages wont work with the Grid because each instance of the Grid can have different modules. The preset pages work. Plus there is also a new type called module pages. Only a few modules have them at this point... so it is a work in progress.

x.iso wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:51 am I've already suggested that they add something like 'Big step' value, that would make only every 'n' step with solid color, wile other dimmed, (active steps bing white is ok) makes it way more readable. It's becoming a problem when you zoom out enough or get too many steps on a short module (although you can stretch the module to make steps bigger). For now I suggest changing color of the module to make active steps more visible.
:tu:
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few

pdxindy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:42 pm
Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pm Some things must be just a matter of time..
Containers seems inevitable. Also some sort of interface builder does too. Bitwig's Sampler has a wavetable implementation (Cycles mode). The Sampler Osc module in the Grid is the same.
Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pmAnd what about a wrapper, that allows you to turn any vst in a module inside the grid?
I'm in no hurry to see VST's inside the Grid. I assume it will get there since regular Bitwig devices like the delay's can have VST's inside the feedback path.
Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pmAnd then there is the SDK (if there is one) will they offer it to 3rd parties or the user community?
There has been no mention by Bitwig about that.
Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pmOr simple things, like the way oscillot presents 8 macro’s for each patch in the device panel..
Bitwig already has this. The remote control pages. You can make as many pages of 8 macros as you wish. There are preset pages which are saved per preset and device pages which are there for all instances of that device. Device pages wont work with the Grid because each instance of the Grid can have different modules. The preset pages work. Plus there is also a new type called module pages. Only a few modules have them at this point... so it is a work in progress.
While cycles is wave table synthesis, its nontypical wave table synthesis..and 2 dimensional..
I should have specified, i would like to see a 3d wavetable synth.. preferably one that loads wavetables in the format of Serum(there are some eurorack modules able to load these wavetables)

I think the big difference to bitwigs implementation of the control pages and the way oscilot works is that with oscilot the macro’s are part of the patch inside the modular and in bitwig the control pages are a sepperate device and not part of the patch.. makes a difference when saving and using the patch elsewhere..

Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 pmI think the big difference to bitwigs implementation of the control pages and the way oscilot works is that with oscilot the macro’s are part of the patch inside the modular and in bitwig the control pages are a sepperate device and not part of the patch.. makes a difference when saving and using the patch elsewhere..
The Preset control pages are per preset... so I assume they are part of the preset.

Remote Control Pages - There is a new type called Modules Pages. They are needed because Device Pages cannot work inside the Grid because it is unknown which modules will be there. Currently there is no means to create or to edit and save Module Pages. There needs to be.

pdxindy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 pm Remote Control Pages - There is a new type called Modules Pages. They are needed because Device Pages cannot work inside the Grid because it is unknown which modules will be there. Currently there is no means to create or to edit and save Module Pages. There needs to be.
I was able to create a page for a module that did not have a prebuilt module page. Created as a preset page, so it can only be saved with preset. No ability yet, though, like you mentioned, to save Module Pages.

sagetone wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:06 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 pm Remote Control Pages - There is a new type called Modules Pages. They are needed because Device Pages cannot work inside the Grid because it is unknown which modules will be there. Currently there is no means to create or to edit and save Module Pages. There needs to be.
I was able to create a page for a module that did not have a prebuilt module page. Created as a preset page, so it can only be saved with preset. No ability yet, though, like you mentioned, to save Module Pages.
Preset pages are per preset... not available for all instances of the Module/Grid.

After more experimentation I'd really like a notch filter and bandpass filter with a variable & steep slope, 6db up to 48db for example. The SVF is really nice sounding but the bandpass is a little too wide for very experimental sound design unless you chain 2 or 3 of them in series, at which point the patch gets a bit cumbersome. I also tried chaining the basic high pass & low pass filters set to 6 pole but the lack of resonance makes them lackluster for e.g. filter pinging or squelchy movement.

I'm not sure if it makes sense from a filter design perspective, but a single filter that can smoothly morph from bandpass to bandstop (with a flat response when the morph is at 50%) with the above resonance & steepness options would be really fun to play with.

I'd like a second ADSR where the decay and release parameters fade really smoothly. The current ADSR, even with long decay and release, the tail still fades abruptly at the end. The current one doesn't sound natural for sparse sounds where you hear the full fade out...

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm I'd like a second ADSR where the decay and release parameters fade really smoothly. The current ADSR, even with long decay and release, the tail still fades abruptly at the end. The current one doesn't sound natural for sparse sounds where you hear the full fade out...
make sure to uncheck Affect voice lifetime on Envelope and instead on the Audio Out module set affect voice lifetime and low enough threshold.

x.iso wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm I'd like a second ADSR where the decay and release parameters fade really smoothly. The current ADSR, even with long decay and release, the tail still fades abruptly at the end. The current one doesn't sound natural for sparse sounds where you hear the full fade out...
make sure to uncheck Affect voice lifetime on Envelope and instead on the Audio Out module set affect voice lifetime and low enough threshold.
Aha!

I would still like the envelope with longer release time than 8 seconds... but the fade out is better now! Thanks

Return to “Bitwig”