Looks like Live is going CV friendly...trying to catch up with Bitwig now!

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

looks like Live is also going down the CV route...

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/ ... -cv-tools/

Great to see for all of us modular/analog enthusiasts, the more the merrier, but all credit to Bitwig for inspiring this and leading the way!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Ohh la-la :)
Cool times are opon us, still have the Live demo installed,and I sure don't underestimate Ableton. :)

I'd be excited by this ...if I had any hardware :D

Anyone can comment how this compares to what can be achieved in Bitwig? One thing that someone pointed out on FB is project tempo control (both ways), which I think can't be done in Bitwig? Also I think that CV Trigger device is a nicer solution than trying to piece a similar functionality bit-by-bit in Bitwig?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Either way we Win.
Bitwig gave Live legit Competition. Now Look how great Live 10 and 10.1 has been with a true challenger in Bitwig.
And Bitwig, My known complaints aside, is still amazing program with some crazy cool innovative features and soon to be modular.
Both Programs race to Stack Features to compete and match each-other and we are the Beneficiaries :)
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:46 pm Either way we Win.
Bitwig gave Live legit Competition. Now Look how great Live 10 and 10.1 has been with a true challenger in Bitwig.
And Bitwig, My known complaints aside, is still amazing program with some crazy cool innovative features and soon to be modular.
Both Programs race to Stack Features to compete and match each-other and we are the Beneficiaries :)
The "problem" is Ableton is 10-20x bigger company than Bitwig (and likely 50x bigger in terms of financials), so for them it's much easier to catch up. I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced this, like they did with Creative Extensions and Probability Pack last year...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yup- it's all good- bring onm the grid and lets get this competition realy started :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:52 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:46 pm Either way we Win.
The "problem" is Ableton is 10-20x bigger company than Bitwig (and likely 50x bigger in terms of financials), so for them it's much easier to catch up. I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced this, like they did with Creative Extensions and Probability Pack last year...
But this can also mean that their code is obsolete and not really transparent as there is so much history ;). So changes can take more times theoretically (until they clean the codebase :-D)).

At least Ableton started to provide 1st party M4L devices that supposed to perform more solid than user-made ones (I haven't tried 10.1, but on 10 I still had Live occasionally crashing with 3-4 1st party LFO devices cross modulating on one track), and in doing so actually making it more feature complete, rather than "here's the tools, do your features yourself" attitude.

But I doubt it's yet an easy task to do something like splitting incoming MIDI notes to different channel paths or even just cycling through instruments/effects with each incoming note. I've been able to do this in Ableton, but only with one source for a given project using just one m4l device I could find (PolyMind). Couldn't enable using different source channels to differentiate between instances of note 'capture' devices for some reason. And it's quite a bothersome setup to go through. In Bitwig it's done very easy and in various ways for different needs. Although using Note Counter, which only appeared in 2.4

I wonder if Cubase and Studio One etc will start to add 'CV tools' in their next updates? Bigwigs use of CV obviously caught peoples attention with the euro rack boom and cheap Behringer semi modular stuff etc. CV is becoming as mainstream as MIDI!

If they pull out The Grid + GUI to GPU + Video Scoring + Some piano roll features, I don't see any reason for any big company to not buy bitwig out. I'm sure Microsoft would be interested since Apple already has Logic.

newtobitwig wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:53 pm If they pull out The Grid + GUI to GPU + Video Scoring + Some piano roll features, I don't see any reason for any big company to not buy bitwig out. I'm sure Microsoft would be interested since Apple already has Logic.
Maybe Apple will buy out Bitwig too, combine it with Logic and call it Logwig

newtobitwig wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:53 pm If they pull out The Grid + GUI to GPU + Video Scoring + Some piano roll features, I don't see any reason for any big company to not buy bitwig out. I'm sure Microsoft would be interested since Apple already has Logic.
I was genuinely expecting this to happen when Bitwig started pitching up at MS Surface events. Bundle 8 track with Windows 10 and you have DAW world domination!

Please, no, not Microsoft. :pray: They have ditched so many products I've liked over the years.

arrakeen wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:58 pm
Please, no, not Microsoft. :pray: They have ditched so many products I've liked over the years.
After sabotaging them first eg Expression

I much rather their company grows some, not too much.

The Grid + GUI to GPU + Video Scoring Comping + Some piano roll features. Fixed. :D
-JH

Return to “Bitwig”