Where is Middle C

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a bit confused. Bitwig shows C3 not C4 at 262 Hz. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Thanks.
(Bitwig 2.5, Windows 10)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

According to Roland it is C4, according to Yamaha it is C3, according to International Scientific Pitch it is C4 (262 Hz). Only programmers seem to call it C3. Tell a musician that C3 is middle C, and they'll probably be confused.

I always considered C3 being the middle C. In the far history Roland lost that battle and nobody recognized it... Or in other words, the Midi world ignored the International Scientific Pitch. Maybe because musicians agreed to A 440 Hz which leads to middle C of 261.625565 (equal tempered). 262 would be out of tune...

OK. Thanks, I had no idea that there were other 'versions' of Middle C. What a PITA.

As RichardC, perhaps you should inform Bitwig you are an authority on the matter and they should update their Middle C to Last C.

It's just a DAW/Synth thing. What we need to understand is that "Middle C" is 261.63 Hz. Then you simply need to be aware of what your specific DAW (and each specific synth/sampler OR plugin) calls that frequency. For example, you might have one synth that displays a keyboard or an EQ plugin that lets you set frequencies by typing the note name. Every one of them will be different. There is no standard.

I just learned in "bach: automated composer's helper" the middle C is C5. Which makes sense if you think of the lowest Midi note as C0.

The situation is not helped by Moss' MIDI Monitor which displays Middle C correctly as MIDI note 60 but incorrectly as note C6...
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

carlca wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:40 pm The situation is not helped by Moss' MIDI Monitor which displays Middle C correctly as MIDI note 60 but incorrectly as note C6...
I was able to fix it as described in viewtopic.php?p=7934193#p7934193
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

Return to “Bitwig”