Can somebody explain this?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure if it's BWS or me that's having a funny day...

Wanted to check out Harmonic 7ths... Made a 7th chord and went to lower the 7th thusly...
pitchedit1.PNG
This does sweet fanny adams (nothing). However if I put a random point anywhere on the detune, it works...
pitchedit2.PNG
Can someone knowledgeable explain this to me?

ALSO! Consolidate command. If I have a clip with a long note covering its length... Split the clip into 2... Consolidate both 'halfs'... Shouldn't I get 2 clips identical to the original but half the size? i.e. 2 clips each containing a note? Instead, I get the original long note in the first new clip (which I expected to be sliced!) and feck all in second new clip. But the note plays throughout the second (empty) new clip, but if I move the second (empty) clip away from the first (any amount) the note stops playing where I expect (at the split) and second clip does nada as it's empty.

So, split does not split notes. Fair enough. Has it always been like that?

And an empty clip, following a clip containing a long cut-off note, causes said note to play out. An empty clip causes sound.

Yokai/Baph, you got any vids on the gory details of clips? I've had no trouble making music up until now, so I'm confused as to why I'm confused today.

I'm baffled and should have just played Warhammer today. :lol:

[BWS 2.5 RC5]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Your pitch automation looks strange. Are you trying to use MPE features (and an MPE-capable synth) to do this, or something else? In a clip for which you've enabled MPE, each MIDI note has its own internal envelope for automating the pitch, as shown in the screenshot. Specifically, the second pair of notes demonstrates what I'd expect your MPE automation to look like.

As for why splitting CLIPS doesn't also split the interior notes, that's due to the fundamental way that Bitwig distinguishes between CLIPS and EVENTS. I go into detail about this for audio clips in one of my videos, but the same concept is true for MIDI clips. The notes in a clip are the clip's events. Things you do to the CLIP are independent of things you do to the EVENTS inside the clip.

FWIW, you can easily split the note events inside the clip too. Just split your clip first, and then double-click EITHER of the two split clip halves to bring up the event editor. Then simply click the grid line inside the event editor that matches where you split the clip. Then do a split again, and you'll see all the note events split at that point too. Now if you consolidate the two split clips (up in the Arranger timeline), you'll end up with exactly what you expect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes it's MPE, which I fully understand (wrote a synth and an android mpe controller whilst waiting for my Seaboard). However I haven't fully grokked how BWS handles it. But seeing your pic, I'm reminded that separate notes have their own PB line! Doh. As I say, was having a funny day (Which is odd as I'd just had a music/chord theory personal breakthrough before opening BWS). If I make the 2 notes into one, all works as I expected: Note drops in pitch half way thru. All good.

My second issue regarding clips... I thought maybe I was muddled up by being on Waveform10 for 2-3 days for a change of scenery and to see how it's getting on (good, but waiting for a PDC fix to drop) but I wasn't clip splitting (was locked in mortal combat with routing). Don't know why I was expecting anything different though as both T and BW use the "clips-are-but-windows-to-underlying-data" model. Hmm. I can actually get my expected behavior in T by splitting then "consolidate" (Delete MIDI Content->Delete Notes Beyond Start and End of Clip. Jesus, what a mouthful!) without having to go inside clip and split notes, but I digress. Maybe it was Ableton I was thinking of? No matter.

Thanks for the help bud.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Return to “Bitwig”