Plug-in missing problem

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I recently made a clean install of macOS Sierra and installed all my synths etc.
Now when I open older projects where Spire, FabFilter Pro-Q 2 etc are used, it says "Plug-in missing" which is simply not true. The Plug-ins are installed and working when I open it via the devices tab.

When I go to Projects -> Plug-ins, Spire and Pro Q-2 are marked red, missing.

How can I tell Bitwig to load the correct Plug-ins?

btw: I also opened some older Projects with Ableton Live and the Plug-ins were recognized.

edit// I found out that the Name of the VSTs have changed.
Well, I downloaded the latest versions of all my plugins.

So is there a way of telling Bitwig "look, that is the new version of the Plug-in. Use it!" ?

Perhaps you were using VST3 versions and now you only installed VST2, or vice versa?

Yes, one of the icons in the bottom-right opens a panel where you can find missing samples and/or plugins.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 pm Perhaps you were using VST3 versions and now you only installed VST2, or vice versa?

Yes, one of the icons in the bottom-right opens a panel where you can find missing samples and/or plugins.
Hi,

no, I am still using VST2 but it seems that the Name of Spire changed. In older projects, Spire is named "SPIRE" in the Device Panel. When I add Spire now to an Instruments Track, it is named "SPIRE-1.1"

I guess that is the Problem. Same with Pro-Q 2 and Pro-Q 3...

psydave wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 pmno, I am still using VST2 but it seems that the Name of Spire changed. In older projects, Spire is named "SPIRE" in the Device Panel. When I add Spire now to an Instruments Track, it is named "SPIRE-1.1"

Well, in this case it's justified - if new version adds features (like Spire 1.1 or Q3 did), then they need to be distinguished. It's not Bitwig's fault you've not updated your plugins before :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:28 pm
psydave wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 pmno, I am still using VST2 but it seems that the Name of Spire changed. In older projects, Spire is named "SPIRE" in the Device Panel. When I add Spire now to an Instruments Track, it is named "SPIRE-1.1"

Well, in this case it's justified - if new version adds features (like Spire 1.1 or Q3 did), then they need to be distinguished. It's not Bitwig's fault you've not updated your plugins before :)
But why does it work in Ableton Live then?
Alright so that means the only way is to install the old versions I guess. ...I hope I have them backedup somewhere :dog:
Last edited by psydave on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double

Plugins have a unique plugin ID behind the scenes which the DAW uses to distinguish between separate versions of the same plugin vs. a "different" plugin entirely. Sometimes when a large update is made to a plugin manufacturers will give it a new plugin ID so that users can keep old versions of the plugin in existing projects (if the changes in the update are not backwards compatible for example and would change the sound if replaced).

I think Spire got a new ID with the 1.1 update so Bitwig will not automatically replace old instances of Spire 1.0 with Spire 1.1. Ableton Live shouldn't do so in this case either; that would be antithetical to the purpose of plugin IDs.

...So I followed a tip from here: https://answers.bitwig.com/questions/86 ... issing-why
Try regenerating BWS's VST cache by deleting it. Do this by deleting the following files/folders:

MacOS: /Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Bitwig/Bitwig Studio/index (folder) /Users/your_username/Library/Caches/Bitwig/vst-metadata (file)
Now Sylenth looks like that: :roll:

Hez wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:55 pm Plugins have a unique plugin ID behind the scenes which the DAW uses to distinguish between separate versions of the same plugin vs. a "different" plugin entirely. Sometimes when a large update is made to a plugin manufacturers will give it a new plugin ID so that users can keep old versions of the plugin in existing projects (if the changes in the update are not backwards compatible for example and would change the sound if replaced).

I think Spire got a new ID with the 1.1 update so Bitwig will not automatically replace old instances of Spire 1.0 with Spire 1.1. Ableton Live shouldn't do so in this case either; that would be antithetical to the purpose of plugin IDs.
Thanks for clearing that up. I will install the prev v now.

Return to “Bitwig”