Bitwig - Pain Points

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PhilipVasta wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:45 pm
keel wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:41 pm What I quickly tested my 8track, there is no midi chase. That is one good reason not to change Live to Bitwig. I can't stand DAW's which don't have midi chase. It is highly annoying to compose anything with long notes, like pads, fx's, raisers whatever. Same goes to Reason..
Agree!
They really should consider adding this feature, since they have been talking about improving the workflow. Also, the midi recording should quantize to the nearest 4/4 bar like in Ableton, at least be an selectable option. The minutes really do add up when you constantly have to scale and fix what you just recorded so it loops correctly. Having a clip luncher but no midi chase/bar quantization sounds like an unfinished clip luncher. This is one of the reasons why working with midi in Live is thousand times more intuitive in my opinion, not to mention that genius capture feature, which is now included in so many DAWs that Bitwig might as well just add it too. :oops:

I'm pretty hooked on Live and various great max for live sequencers for writing midi, but than I export that data into Bitwig for sound design/mixing. How I wish Bitwig would just show the piano roll / midi environment some love... than I can finally get rid of Live.

3.1 and onward really ought to be the workflow updates that glue Bitwigs sound design possibilities/hardware integration/modularity together with basic DAW features. It's obviously the most advanced sound design playground around, but the fundamentals are still not quiet right. It's just weird that a DAW has MPE but no way to manually insert midi notes with a keyboard/controller. Also pretty strange that there is an amazing browser, light years ahead of anything else I've tried but there are no modular presets. 3 lfos for different tasks instead of just one full featured LFO. And the inconsistencies of the user interface itself are pretty annoying. Why can't I press alt and left mouse to rename anything within the multisampler or the clips themselves within the arrangement view but it works for track names etc, for example.

Thankfully, those are all very minor things, who don't change the fact that working with Bitwig absolute joy, but as someone said above, Bitwig is so close to being perfect already. Bitwig 2.5 is going to be great, I'm very glad to see such a generous workflow / utilization update and I'm sure MIDI is what they will be focusing on sooner than later. I don't want to come across as I'm unhappy with Bitwig, I'ts just pretty tiresome to be constantly moving across two pretty similar DAWs when one is obviously superior and much more fun but those tiny, super important features are lacking for my workflow. I've tried many times but I can't say goodbye to midi step input. There is just no way to do so for me. I'd give up on all those max for live devices for step input in Bitwig in a minute, because the modulators are already tons of fun for midi editing etc.... anyway, how did that post get so long? I should get back to work.

I'm sure we're going to see a big announcement from Bitwig, with all the features of Bitwig 3 + an public beta, couple of weeks after 2.5 is released. I'm very positive that The Grid is not going to be the only big thing to Bitwig 3. :hyper:

A way to start playhead from the current selected midi notes that are being edited in piano roll - When midi editing its an absolute pain to always have to move the mouse up to click where you want the playhead to begin from.
this is why I've mentioned to worth to creating a scratchpad by shifting the Time Signature Change Marker viewtopic.php?p=7273813#p7273813

currently using the launcher clips as scratchpad for this is PITA, workflow should be some kind of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvIc6MdGy8I
launcher clips for the finished materials scratchpad for the actual one
Native Saturation Plugin - I miss this one most from Ableton
the free Saturation Knob Softube one is ok for me https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=satknob

Better Performance +1 this is the biggest issue IMO
Less Sensitive Sliders and Knobs - If I breathe the volume slider jumps 10db
should press the right mouse button too beside the left one ... if u need more press shift too ... solved
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

dreamstate42 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:44 pm My Big need personally has to the higher performance, specifically on Mac. It's hard to completely switch from Ableton when I'm able to add so many more tracks in Ableton or Cubase compared to BWS. And I have the new 16GB Ram i7 (8th Gen) Macbook so its rather unexplainable how I seem to get better performance out of my less powerful Windows system on BWS then on my Mac System

Also I Miss a Native Vocoder.
Absolutely agree. This here pretty much is my only real pain point with Bitwig right now. The same project (in terms of number of tracks, plugins etc.) runs without any issues (e.g. stuttering) on Live or Logic, but not on Bitwig.
Right? and it's frustrating because I lOVE this program, Everything about it, But I don't feel like I could use it full time until the performance gets heightened on Mac OS. It is especially bad with some higher CPU Plugins. Like some of my favorite Reaktor Ensembles or my Newley purchased Repro and Diva. Even some very complex Serum Patches. Stuff that requires more Juice, more or less.
I'm hoping the Point updates to 3 will fix this (AFAIK the only feature 3 is adding is the Grid). Then I could really start being serious about fully moving my setup to BWS.

Also It seems my Fan gets set into drive faster with Bitwig and that the Battery, when Not plugged in, Dies faster then say Ableton or Logic. But I usually am plugged In when Producing anyways at my home studio, that becomes more an issue like if Im producing in a Mobile environment, like out in a Park or on a Car/Bus Ride with my Headphones on. I'm guessing these 2 issues are connected however.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:44 pm My Big need personally has to the higher performance, specifically on Mac. It's hard to completely switch from Ableton when I'm able to add so many more tracks in Ableton or Cubase compared to BWS. And I have the new 16GB Ram i7 (8th Gen) Macbook so its rather unexplainable how I seem to get better performance out of my less powerful Windows system on BWS then on my Mac System

Absolutely agree. This here pretty much is my only real pain point with Bitwig right now. The same project (in terms of number of tracks, plugins etc.) runs without any issues (e.g. stuttering) on Live or Logic, but not on Bitwig.
Right? and it's frustrating because I lOVE this program, Everything about it, But I don't feel like I could use it full time until the performance gets heightened on Mac OS. It is especially bad with some higher CPU Plugins. Like some of my favorite Reaktor Ensembles or my Newley purchased Repro and Diva. Even some very complex Serum Patches. Stuff that requires more Juice, more or less.
I'm hoping the Point updates to 3 will fix this (AFAIK the only feature 3 is adding is the Grid). Then I could really start being serious about fully moving my setup to BWS.

Also It seems my Fan gets set into drive faster with Bitwig and that the Battery, when Not plugged in, Dies faster then say Ableton or Logic. But I usually am plugged In when Producing anyways at my home studio, that becomes more an issue like if Im producing in a Mobile environment, like out in a Park or on a Car/Bus Ride with my Headphones on. I'm guessing these 2 issues are connected however.
At NAMM, the Bitwig guy (Dave?) said that v3 has a few more things besides the Grid but that at NAMM they wanted to focus on the Grid so they haven't mentioned them yet.

Bitwig announced early to mid last year that they were working on performance and off loading the GUI drawing to the GPU (currently rendered by the CPU). They said it was not an easy work and that it would take a while. Given the time frame I guess that within 6 months they will have that done. Just a guess...

Mac performance is definitely a bummer...it was the main reason I sold my Bitwig 1.x license. I tried the latest Bitwig 2.x demo the other day and it's still an issue compared to the other DAWs I use (Live, Logic, Reason, REAPER)...
Spencer Maddox wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 pm

If UI optimisations would also be part of Bitwig 3 I would be so happy. Right now performance really is the main point keeping me on Live, although I have to admit I really like what Ableton is doing with 10.1. Still, if they would improve UI (and general) macOS performance to the point that it is on-par with Live, I would probably move over to Bitwig for good. I just love the fact I can use hotkeys for pretty much everything, the popup browser is amazing, and the best: I can still pretty much use my Push2 to it's full extend thanks to the amazing DrivenByMoss extension :)
Frequently changing DAW of choice...

Something really small but its been driving me crazy lately :x

I wish tracks would inherit the colour of the group you move them in to. Also the automation lanes should match the colour of the track they belong to. Right now its always blue.

Two small things that would make a big difference to me.
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

craigtumps wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 pm Something really small but its been driving me crazy lately :x

I wish tracks would inherit the colour of the group you move them in to. Also the automation lanes should match the colour of the track they belong to. Right now its always blue.

Two small things that would make a big difference to me.
Switch off the individual color of a track and it will follow the group color.

Enrize wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:55 pm
Switch off the individual color of a track and it will follow the group color.
I don't find that option anywhere, where is it?
Bitwig since 1.0

Bottom right in the color palette.

Oh my gosh I have been on BW since V1.0 and didnt know about that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks a lot! :tu:

Now all I need is colour coded automation.
Bitwig since 1.0

mevla wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:53 pm I'll also add: having a monitoring bus. So that the main master level stays the same in any situation.
What do you mean with that? There is a 'Solo as Cue' function:
Solo As Cue.JPG
I only have one stereo out, so I use my speakers for everything. And don't know exactly whether the level stays the same when using 'Solo as Cue'.
But I think you also could use an FX Return track with 'Pre-fader' activated:
Pre-Fader.JPG
EDIT: :) Just noticed that if I don't name the Effect track and activate the 'Pre-fader', it automatically changes its (default) name from 'S1 Effect' to 'S1 Cue'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A better way to navigate the the browser categories using the browser pop up window - It would be incredible to be able to cycle through the browser tabs "devices, presets, multi samples, samples, music" with the TAB key or something. Is this already possible?
I swear this was possible at some point...
(If I remember correctly: When using ctrl-left/right keys)
Drives me nuts that this is not longer possible.
Professional.

Return to “Bitwig”