Bitwig - Pain Points

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think most of us here agree that Bitwig is an exceptional program to work with. I've never felt that a DAW allowed me to use it the way I wanted to use it until I found Bitwig. That being said I still think there is a laundry list of missing components that I consider fundamental to my personal workflow. Others might not feel the same but regardless I wanted to share some of my pain points with the community.

Most of these things I believe are "low hanging fruit" while others may require a more extensive development timeline.

Comping feature - Something like Logic's comping workflow would be incredible. Many producers still use two DAW's .. one for recording and comping and the other for production. Why not wrap this all into one?

A way to start playhead from the current selected midi notes that are being edited in piano roll - When midi editing its an absolute pain to always have to move the mouse up to click where you want the playhead to begin from.

Native Saturation Plugin - I miss this one most from Ableton

Better Performance - The performance of Bitwig is just sad. I feel it struggling after when I get a higher track count with 4.7ghz i7 - 32gb of ram - Nvidia GTX 1080ti

A shortcut to close a specific or all VST Windows - Not sure why this doesn't already exist. Very easy to implement.

A shortcut to add a VST or module on the current track after selected component - I usually do this through the browser search function but it can get a bit "clicky"

Being able to see automation for a group clip & SELECT group when clicking group clip - As of now when you click a group clip it selects the last track that was selected in that group.. I consistently automate groups but its a pain because you have to do it in the arrange window automation drop down and sometimes its a pain to get to.

New added VSTs should appear ON TOP not BEHIND the other VST instruments that are open - No brainer here.. I want my instruments that I am adding to appear first... not in reverse. Many times instruments get added behind the current vst that is open

Multi Band Style similar to Abletons - The multiband was one of my most used plugins in Ableton and I see producers using it on everything these days especially the OTT setting.. Its an amazingly fast way to add a touch of extreme multiband upwards and downwards compression. I have attempted to remake this with Bitwig components but it isn't quite the same.

Less Sensitive Sliders and Knobs - If I breathe the volume slider jumps 10db

Better Meters on Tool, Compressor, FX - All the meters need an overhaul. The big meters are great in the mix view but I think they are a bit too snappy. The smaller meters are almost useless to me.. Does anyone feel the same?

Better Representation of waveforms - I feel like the waveforms are severely lacking in detail. I liked Abletons the best...

Fix the bugs - I personally have submitted over 32 tickets to the Bitwig team

Bounce to new track with send amounts preserved on new track (checkbox) - I bounce tracks frequently and send data is discarded

Bounce to new track with same track name (checkbox) - It would be great to have a checkbox that would allow names to be preserved

Better layer editing - Does anyone feel like the layer editor is clunky? Im almost afraid to use it.

Drag Audio Clip To Browser Folder - Often times I want to quickly export an audio clip to a folder in the browser but its a bit of a pain in Bitwigs export dialogue. Is there an easier way to do this?

A way to stop the record function as the playhead loops back around - I record everything in loop brackets on the timeline. It would be nice to have a way for Bitwig to end recording when playhead loops back so I can hear what was just recorded. I've tried using overdub mode but it just doesnt accomplish what I need as often times I will re-record and disabling overdub just to re-record is another unnecessary step.

A better way to navigate the the browser categories using the browser pop up window - It would be incredible to be able to cycle through the browser tabs "devices, presets, multi samples, samples, music" with the TAB key or something. Is this already possible?

That completes my list of things I personally feel would improve Bitwig. I'm curious to know if any of you have wanted to see some of these same items implemented.

Please correct me if there are ways to accomplish some of the things I have listed above.

+1 on pretty much all of this.

I have really come to miss the saturator in Ableton. It's so simple but effective. Yet to find a solid third-party replacement :(

I agree regarding the meters on the compressor. Have no idea how much gain reduction is going on. In fact I'd love to see the older devices get a bit of a face lift. Oh and they could stand to make the expanded views for Phase-4, EQ-5, etc to actually be useful.

I have tried every other DAW I can get my hands on. Bitwig works for me and what I do much more so than any other DAW that I'm aware of. It is so close to being "perfect" for me. I just wish the things that don't work (things they are very aware are not working correctly) were fixed. Example: If I adjust the velocity of a midi note using my finger on a touchscreen the undo function instantly breaks and is unusable. As in not being an option anymore in that project unless it is closed and reloaded. This has been this way since they added the much requested feature of being able to "ramp" the velocity values quickly. The new feature works well but it breaks something that was working as expected. To me that is not an improvement. But as always there is a work around. My upgrade plan ends in a little over 2 weeks. I'm very excited about 3.0 but 2.43 has problems. Not to mention 2.5 beta 6. With 3.0 being so hyped up I wonder what my chances of having a stable version anytime soon (if ever) are. I don't know how to do the awesome things that the Bitwig Devs are doing but I can't help but wonder why we (they) just keep moving on. Coding must be much harder than someone such as myself who has no clue can imagine. I don't say any of this to down anyone I'm just referring to a problem as I see it.

coroknight wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:42 pm +1 on pretty much all of this.

I have really come to miss the saturator in Ableton. It's so simple but effective. Yet to find a solid third-party replacement :(
+1 for a native saturation !

CRAFTMATIX wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:50 pm I have tried every other DAW I can get my hands on. Bitwig works for me and what I do much more so than any other DAW that I'm aware of. It is so close to being "perfect" for me. I just wish the things that don't work (things they are very aware are not working correctly) were fixed. Example: If I adjust the velocity of a midi note using my finger on a touchscreen the undo function instantly breaks and is unusable. As in not being an option anymore in that project unless it is closed and reloaded. This has been this way since they added the much requested feature of being able to "ramp" the velocity values quickly. The new feature works well but it breaks something that was working as expected. To me that is not an improvement. But as always there is a work around. My upgrade plan ends in a little over 2 weeks. I'm very excited about 3.0 but 2.43 has problems. Not to mention 2.5 beta 6. With 3.0 being so hyped up I wonder what my chances of having a stable version anytime soon (if ever) are. I don't know how to do the awesome things that the Bitwig Devs are doing but I can't help but wonder why we (they) just keep moving on. Coding must be much harder than someone such as myself who has no clue can imagine. I don't say any of this to down anyone I'm just referring to a problem as I see it.

I see the logic in what they are doing but I don't think it's healthy for the core user base. These exciting new features such as "The Grid" attract new and potential customers but it takes more attention off of the low hanging fruit that would really strengthen the the program. Bitwig 3 does not excite me. I respect what they are doing but what would make me happy is the Bitwig team taking a step back and spending some time strengthening the foundation of this program to make it an exceptional DAW.

Coinpurse wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:42 pm
CRAFTMATIX wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:50 pm I have tried every other DAW I can get my hands on. Bitwig works for me and what I do much more so than any other DAW that I'm aware of. It is so close to being "perfect" for me. I just wish the things that don't work (things they are very aware are not working correctly) were fixed. Example: If I adjust the velocity of a midi note using my finger on a touchscreen the undo function instantly breaks and is unusable. As in not being an option anymore in that project unless it is closed and reloaded. This has been this way since they added the much requested feature of being able to "ramp" the velocity values quickly. The new feature works well but it breaks something that was working as expected. To me that is not an improvement. But as always there is a work around. My upgrade plan ends in a little over 2 weeks. I'm very excited about 3.0 but 2.43 has problems. Not to mention 2.5 beta 6. With 3.0 being so hyped up I wonder what my chances of having a stable version anytime soon (if ever) are. I don't know how to do the awesome things that the Bitwig Devs are doing but I can't help but wonder why we (they) just keep moving on. Coding must be much harder than someone such as myself who has no clue can imagine. I don't say any of this to down anyone I'm just referring to a problem as I see it.

I see the logic in what they are doing but I don't think it's healthy for the core user base. These exciting new features such as "The Grid" attract new and potential customers but it takes more attention off of the low hanging fruit that would really strengthen the the program. Bitwig 3 does not excite me. I respect what they are doing but what would make me happy is the Bitwig team taking a step back and spending some time strengthening the foundation of this program to make it an exceptional DAW.
Yeah I think you're right. I use Bitwig as my main DAW, and the built-in instruments' deep connection with the modular capabilities do make for some great possibilities... but this is first and foremost a DAW, not an instrument. I wonder if they'd benefit from hiring another developer or two, because sometimes I get the feeling that they are slightly overwhelmed with the balancing of their vision with pragmatic improvements for core DAW functionality.

PhilipVasta wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:22 pm
Coinpurse wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Yeah I think you're right. I use Bitwig as my main DAW, and the built-in instruments' deep connection with the modular capabilities do make for some great possibilities... but this is first and foremost a DAW, not an instrument. I wonder if they'd benefit from hiring another developer or two, because sometimes I get the feeling that they are slightly overwhelmed with the balancing of their vision with pragmatic improvements for core DAW functionality.
Yep, they probably would benefit. People have been raging for awhile about them "breaking their promise" about opening up the modular environment so they really had to get that out of the way. Can't make everyone happy unfortunately so hopefully we get some of these improvements in 3.1

Bitwig have already stated that new solutions to old problems will be the focus, after they have released The Grid. Focusing on the fundamentals is obviously something they need to prioritize above anything else so people dont need to use 2 daws.

Comping feature (there's a work around but Logic's way is nice and fast)
Playhead from the current selected midi notes - Absolutely, in fact I'd like it if it always played from the position I'm currently on (where my mouse clicks without setting the playhead first) unless I tell it otherwise. The playhead is still useful, that could be the return key or assignable.
Better Performance (offload to gpu)
Better Representation of waveforms
Fix the bugs (always)

Extras
Native Saturation Plugin, as long as it kicks ass.
Drag Audio Clip To Browser Folder - Drag out an actual audio (or selection from of) file to anywhere including the desktop would be really useful to me.

I was going to pick and comment on the ones that I favor but actually all of these look useful. I'd add "Advanced tools" in the piano roll (most voted for in this forum since Feb 03, 2018) and groove quantize (2nd most voted), not because I personally need these in a hurry but because every DAW with more of a focus on electronic (or not) music should have them imo.

While The Grid is nice looking and I'll likely love it and use it to make awful fart noises + screaming banshee belches I wouldn't mind if Bitwig took a break from the new toys and started covering all the, what I'll call: the basics.

On the toy side I'd really a Yamaha style EG mod (or combine and add to the ones we got), like the one you'd find in a DX7, I like that level of control plus they can go on forever. That would complete Phase 4 for me.

Hopefully after The Grid is out the team will focus on the DAW side of things.
-JH

kpv wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:39 pm Bitwig have already stated that new solutions to old problems will be the focus, after they have released The Grid. Focusing on the fundamentals is obviously something they need to prioritize above anything else so people dont need to use 2 daws.
:clap: :clap: Awesome - looking forward to those improvements!

kpv wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:39 pm Bitwig have already stated that new solutions to old problems will be the focus, after they have released The Grid. Focusing on the fundamentals is obviously something they need to prioritize above anything else so people dont need to use 2 daws.
It was not my impression that they stated that... rather that it would be one of the focuses... not the focus.

coroknight wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:42 pm +1 on pretty much all of this.

Experiment with the Amp effect, just make sure you don't use the cabinet portion. If you just use the front section and keep cab mix at 0%, the range of distortion & saturation is actually really interesting and useful. I never use the Bitwig Distortion effect but use Amp all the time. Don't miss Ableton's saturator at all.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 pm
It was not my impression that they stated that... rather that it would be one of the focuses... not the focus.
Yes, thats absolutely right, I was writing on the phone and should have been more clear on that small but important difference - but at least they have said officially that they will be "solving old problems" which I cant understand in other way but strengthening the fundamentals.

kpv wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 am
pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 pm
Yes, thats absolutely right, I was writing on the phone and should have been more clear on that small but important difference - but at least they have said officially that they will be "solving old problems" which I cant understand in other way but strengthening the fundamentals.
that was my impression too... generally speaking (with a couple exceptions) I like the way they solve stuff and are creative about it.

Return to “Bitwig”