Is bitwig worth changing to

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m currently using logic is a bit weird with switching to

I use Logic and Bitwig. Two different working styles, both valid, and both FUN. Plus switching between the two kees my brain busy and thinking of new ways of creating.

Gripthegrip wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 am I’m currently using logic is a bit weird with switching to
That really depends on your motives and what you're expecting to gain in return. Without knowing this, we can't really answer your question :)

Obviously this being a Bitwig subforum the answer is likely to be "yes", but on the other hand Logic will be cheaper in the long run, is better for mixing / mastering projects, is better for working with lots of audio, especially tracking bands / artist performances or doing orchestral stuff. Bitwig might be better for electronic, experimental music, sound design, live performance, connecting to modular hardware, etc.

No DAW is objectively better than any other. It depends on what suits the user's music, workflow & setup more.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I run Mainstage and Bitwig together, just for the instruments...
And yes it is. Logic for me is hard work, Bitwig is just inspiring. But that is a matter of taste... Get the demo or 8-Track and see what it does to your mind...
At least for expressive instruments Logic belongs to the few who support MPE, as does Bitwig...
Logic does not know what note expressions are though... (a VST3 property...)

Switched from Logic (loonnggg time user) to Bitwig, never regretted it. Use BW mainly for mixing & mastering but a lot of production too. Beats logic in all those departments imho.

For recording audio, logic is still better due to comping features, but hopefully that's coming soon in BW.

Yes.

Gripthegrip wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 am I’m currently using logic is a bit weird with switching to
Really depends on what you're after and what features do you need.

askewd wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am Switched from Logic (loonnggg time user) to Bitwig, never regretted it. Use BW mainly for mixing & mastering but a lot of production too. Beats logic in all those departments imho.

For recording audio, logic is still better due to comping features, but hopefully that's coming soon in BW.
Im surprised to hear this, Logic always looked a lot better for mixing to me (although I never used it, I just spotted many nice features it has). What do you find better about BW when it comes to mixing and mastering?
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

As a real long time user of DAW's, don't throw away Logic.
Bitwig is focusing brilliantly but mainly at modulating parameters and generating sound lately, in a host, which is a bit of a rudimentary Live-like Launcher/Arranger setup, judging as a musician/composer.
Bitwig is very stable and pleasantly usable, especially as an idea/concept/sound/instrument checker, "a fire starter", if you like, or as a sound design tool.
It works very quick and smooth in the initial sketching phase, don't know why really because it doesn't differ that much from Live in the possibilities present, it's probably the GUI, the browser and tag system, those are epic, especially now it's going to remember things after the next update.
For the real experiments I recommend Usine Hollyhock 3 from sensomusic though.
Bitwig as an "on the whole" solution? Soon maybe. Download the demo. :phones:

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 am
That really depends on your motives and what you're expecting to gain in return. Without knowing this, we can't really answer your question :)

Obviously this being a Bitwig subforum the answer is likely to be "yes", but on the other hand Logic will be cheaper in the long run, is better for mixing / mastering projects, is better for working with lots of audio, especially tracking bands / artist performances or doing orchestral stuff. Bitwig might be better for electronic, experimental music, sound design, live performance, connecting to modular hardware, etc.

No DAW is objectively better than any other. It depends on what suits the user's music, workflow & setup more.
Pretty much sums up my personal opinion, too :)

From my personal experience (and I know this is highly debated, so take this with a grain of salt): As much as I love Bitwig, as a Mac user, Bitwig tends to have run worse than the user DAWs I regularly use (particularly Live 10 and Logic), in terms of overall performance (not entirely sure, but I remember reading it could have something to do with Retina / 4k displays). I don't want to discourage you (as I said, I love Bitwig!), but it might be worth running the demo for a bit to see if this might also happen for you.
Frequently changing DAW of choice...

I came from Logic, it was my DAW since Emagic Logic Audio Platinum 4. (mouth full) The only DAW I used up until just over a year and a half ago when I switched to Live for a couple months and then to Bitwig. My switch was part because I needed a change, part a focus on writing/creativeness for myself, and part a move away from the tracking/mixing like mindset. I look at Biwig, and Live, more like instruments and that suits my needs now. For me Bitwig just needs polishing, a few gaps filled in, and I'll be staying for a long time, so long as they're business.

Also what antic604 said. Totally agree. Bingo.
-JH

Im surprised to hear this, Logic always looked a lot better for mixing to me (although I never used it, I just spotted many nice features it has). What do you find better about BW when it comes to mixing and mastering?
For me its a combination of things including the look and feel of the program, the powerful tools and the workflow. I'm just faster and more get more enjoyment somehow mixing & mastering in Bitwig than logic. The layout makes my mind feel cleaner somehow and i 'hear' the music clearer.

Bitwigs broswer and preset management / tagging etc is also second-to-none. Having a custom library is a must IMO. For instance if i'm mastering a track and feel it needs a little warming or mojo , i will simply type "mojo" and instantly get to browse & preview my mojo-giving presets. Some of these presets may be simple plugins, whilst others maybe a whole chain of plugins with macros and clever modulations happening behind the scenes. For example here is one of my mastering presets that i often use to add a 'hardware' vibe to mixes:

macros.png

In this case, the simple front end hides a whole host of cool stuff, such as Nebula pre-amps, Novatron, Soundtoys Radiator, and more.

Another example would be using Bitwigs mult-band splitter and putting a sidechain ducking compressor only in the sub frequencies, whilst having a reverb or chorus sat in the high frequency region. Stuff like this can be done and saved in seconds. It's just a joy.

As i say, there are probably ways to do this in Logic but in Bitwig it just all feels fast & natural and part of the whole eco-system. And the more you build your library the better it gets.

Small features such at the 'toggle bypass' (added to 2.5 beta6 today) also really helps with auditioning various combinations of presets all in real time with no loading or glitching. Fantastic.

And the ease at which you can make groups and subgroups, or layer up effects either in series or Parallel , all on the same track! Always with a handy "mix" amount - mind blowingly useful!!!.

Or the way you can add a lfo-panning into a reverb tail and then duck that using an audio reciever / sidechain and then echo that whilst another audio source is controlling the bitrate and ..... YOU GET THE IDEA. Endless possibilities for mixing. :lol:

TBH i could probably write another million words on how much i love Bitwig for mixing and mastering so i'd better stop here. Maybe will do a 'mixing in bitwig' book one day LOL

Cheers
Dale
ps. please support our latest Dasco track by giving it a quick stream, thank you: https://spoti.fi/2S2cdDp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

this took 1 min to set up in Bitwig (crazy random EQ): https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... qddX31nWzk

no idea whether that's even possible to do in Logic.

now just add some imagination and you have a mixing engineers wet dream :-)

craigtumps wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:55 am
askewd wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am Switched from Logic (loonnggg time user) to Bitwig, never regretted it. Use BW mainly for mixing & mastering but a lot of production too. Beats logic in all those departments imho.

That’s because it’s a mad thing to say!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

@BobDog hahah! You know I was actually thinking to get Logic and use it along side BW just for mixing. The gain staging and things seem so much better. But I never used it, only seen videos.

@askewed now you explain it like this I understand what you mean. There are many nice little things in BW that we all get used to round here but other DAWs dont have. Plugin sandboxing is my favorite. And yes the multi band FX is so nice and easy to use. I get confused when I see plugins specifically for Multiband FX, why the hell would I want to buy that :lol:
The plugin remote controls are massive game changer too. Having different remotes for different presets, wowee.

I gave your track a listen, I wonder do you use a console or other outboard processing? I like to hear how people achieve their sound.
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

Return to “Bitwig”