Roli Seaboard Blocks and Bitwig Studio 2.4

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

Is there an easy way to setup Bitwig 2.4 for use w/ Seaboard Blocks? It seems like some of the 5D controllers are fine; pitch bend in particular seems glitchy. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Dan
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

Hi Dan,
yes, its pretty easy. Always have ROLI dashboard opened somewhere to setup and edit the blocks :) What would you liek to achieve? 3rd party plugins need to have MPE enabled before using the pitch bend. (click the plugin in the device panel and look into inspector panel on the left, click MPE)

Also XY mode need some setting up before using it properly.
- load XY app from dashboard
- load XY modulator somewhere in Bitwig
- Dashboard: Send X
- Right click on axis X, map to controller, click the block. X is learned
- Dashboard: Send Y
- Right click on axis Y, map to controller, click the block. Y is learned
- Dashboard: Send All

I add the controller as "Seaboard RISE" and then you can change the pitchbend range in the Controller settings screen... that's probably whats causing funny behaviour for the pitchbend... besides that once you added the controller on the settings, you can use the Expressions modulator for mapping the 5D to different parameters ( Timbre = Slide, Pressure = Press, Release = Lift Velocity, Vel = Strike, Pitchbed = Glide)

Thanks, guys.

If it's any help, I've got Dashboard 4.1.3. It's set to Mode: MPE; MIDI mode (same thing?): MPE; No. MIDI Channels: 15; Pitch Bend Range: 48.

Does this help?

In Bitwig: I did try the setting up as Rise; it did seem more stable in pitch bend; thanks! I did have to turn off the Blocks setting I'd previously made. When I get the Touch Block and Lightpad Block M, I'm hoping that these will be recognized under Rise as well? I don't have them yet. Turning on MPE in the left panel helped. Yesterday, it seemed to confuse the issue, but today, it's fine. I probably should say that only pitch bend seemed "confused".

dlandis wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:11 pm Thanks, guys.

If it's any help, I've got Dashboard 4.1.3. It's set to Mode: MPE; MIDI mode (same thing?): MPE; No. MIDI Channels: 15; Pitch Bend Range: 48.

Does this help?

In Bitwig: I did try the setting up as Rise; it did seem more stable in pitch bend; thanks! I did have to turn off the Blocks setting I'd previously made. When I get the Touch Block and Lightpad Block M, I'm hoping that these will be recognized under Rise as well? I don't have them yet. Turning on MPE in the left panel helped. Yesterday, it seemed to confuse the issue, but today, it's fine. I probably should say that only pitch bend seemed "confused".
When you say glitchy, do you mean that the pitch bend sounds steppy or quantized? Like there isn't a smooth transition between notes?

Right, sorry about that: "glitchy" in this case means that the pitch seems to move about with a mind of its own or seems to want to return to the original note after the finger is raised. It's a strange thing to hear.

dlandis wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:01 am Right, sorry about that: "glitchy" in this case means that the pitch seems to move about with a mind of its own or seems to want to return to the original note after the finger is raised. It's a strange thing to hear.
OH, weird. Certainly not something I've experienced yet. I would try contacting bitwig if you've already restarted everything and debugged your signal chain from blocks->bitwig.

try recording something and going into the editor under automation you can see what the pitchbend is actually doing....

For the ROLI Lightpad BLOCK owners here, for really nice remote control of device pages have a look at Axyz Gems https://github.com/jorisroling/axyz-gems

It makes the LightPad a multy high-res XY surface, and with the dedicated Bitwig Control Surface it is a deleight in remote controlling any device page, and as such 8 parameters.

joris.roling wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 am For the ROLI Lightpad BLOCK owners here, for really nice remote control of device pages have a look at Axyz Gems https://github.com/jorisroling/axyz-gems

It makes the LightPad a multy high-res XY surface, and with the dedicated Bitwig Control Surface it is a deleight in remote controlling any device page, and as such 8 parameters.

Very cool thanks- BW should get this built in as an option (they just have Grand and Rise as templates currently)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone who answered. Using the Roli Rise preset config in Bitwig helped much, as did making sure to start Dashboard (this, BTW, is not necessary to do in every DAW, which is probably the reason this never occurred to me. Thanks much for the suggestion). All seems straight-ahead now, no issues at all.

Dan

Return to “Bitwig”