New to recording audio/guitar -- some issues

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So.. I'm trying to record some electric guitar with bitwig. I got the inputs setup ok through a scarlett 2i4 and I can play the guitar and hear it in bitwig. I setup an audio channel and stuck the amp plugin on it, but I feel I'm always hearing both the clean guitar AND the amp output when the channel monitoring is on. Is there a way to hear ONLY the post of the track? I can't seem to figure it out and the various manuals and videos I've seen seem to be using older UI.

Well... In case it's ever useful to anyone reading these forums, it turned out to have more to do with the scarlett audio input than Bitwig which was basically setup correctly. On the scarlett there's a sort of wet/dry mixer knob that lets you balance the monitoring signal to your speakers/headphones between the clean audio input from your mic/guitar etc.. and and the device's playback channel. I had that set somewhere in the middle so I was always getting a mix of the playback and the input signal. I mostly use a different native komplete audio box, so my lack of familiarity with the Focusrite, which is new, mixed me up a bit.

The dry/wet thing is quite common on most interfaces (or direct) so it is good you have it figured out.
Getting a good guitar tone in is a different issue! I am not familiar with your I/O but the inputs can have different impedances which can suck tone (so it wont matter what you do with amp sims and fx after that, you wont get it back!) so try and make sure your signal is hot (I normally go on from a pre-amp, a guitar pedal or something)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeah I noticed the recorded clean tone sounded a little bad/muffled, so I'll definitely need to work out the best approach there. For now, I mostly wanted to try playing the guitar with some amp sims and guitar rig etc... to see how the effects sounded through the sims and effect chains vs a real amp.

A passive DI Box may help with impedance matching and are pretty cheap, if you have the money I swear by this:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ironheart-a ... ube-preamp
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeah I've seen similar recommendations in other places. Looks like a nice piece of kit. I'll consider it thanks.

Return to “Bitwig”