BITWIG STUDIO 3

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Should I call my first DJ VST "Tofu Scramble"?

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:02 am Should I call my first DJ VST "Tofu Scramble"?
Obviously.

T71 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:28 am
JHernandez wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:23 am
T71 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:39 am
JHernandez wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 pm Anyone check out Amy's Kitchen? Throwing some in the microwave right now.
Random, dude. :hihi:

...Amy's Kitchen used to have a plant in the same business park area where I work. They opened a local Amy's Kitchen fast food restaurant with a drive-thru recently, the milkshakes are the bomb.
I figure if I can't beat them, I'll join them. :D

That sounds delicious. I don't usually do microwave meals, or fast food or any kind, but man this Harvest Casserole Bowl thing is good. Tomorrow I'm going to give the Tofu Scramble a try, a friend nuked that up today and it smelled really good. Amy's is my new favorite oh darn I haven't cooked quick meal solution. :hyper: If only they would open up a fast food spot near me.
:D

The Tofu Scramble is legit. I recommend ketchup.

Also, they make the best frozen cheese enchiladas, ever. :love:
Temping, I'll keep that in mind. :wink:
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:02 am Should I call my first DJ VST "Tofu Scramble"?
Absolutely. :party:
-JH

SpaceCadetOnLeave wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:58 pm
shaboogen wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:52 am
SpaceCadetOnLeave wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:17 pmYes of course! You are

There is a larger group of BWS users outside KVR that isn't as loud and is as legit as any group.
As a long term, daily user I have all the right to criticize any developing direction.
I also have the right to declare to be disappointed about the hypes being created and the actual usefulness of those hyped implemented native instruments, like the countless variations of the variations of the devices which mostly do the same (easily fitting in a few devices) or the just above mediocre quality of the instruments. Now again, this Grid doesn't seem to be an open environment, it seems to be a native, tuned down, version of alternatives like reaktor, cherry or vcv, or even fathom and the like, nice if you like closed environments, but a Point Release of a DAW?

Doing this in a forum is clumsy, agreed, but if anyone fears or has the feeling there is a chance BWS dev's are only listening to a small group of one certain type of users, it is ones obligation to let certain things know in these channels so easily usable for certain pool formations.
Possible proof for this fear is in the big amount of "request to BWS lists" out there and the small amount of implementation of those list items in releases. I know, I know, Bitwig can do what it wants, and it isn't that glamorous, true, but that's not the point. The point is, when you use a DAW, daily, to produce music for all kinds of purposes, you need it to be stable, on edge, anticipating new developments, uses of smart inventions, IOW on top of possibilities and not _only_ in the field of old fashioned modulating parameters.
I think the BWS DAW was brilliant, but it backslid into some sort of a scratchpad next to my other DAWs slowly, only implementing some things that were long overdue (elastique and multi MIDI) some so so VSTi's (especially so so, if you are already have too many great ones), and a lot of (a lot!) fixes and improvements, but not much on the DAW itself. I really think that is a shame and like this post, a waste of time.

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

I think it is fair to voice your concerns about BWS. I joined about 8 months ago and have been so enthusiastic since, used it hours and hours every day.
In terms fo workflow i think its the best out there. The results are so quick, the whole thing feels like a big instrument.
However, recently i have had to go elsewhere for various things (as i have mentioned in various threads...using analog synths is smoother in ableton)
There are also things in studio one that i miss. but to be honest, no one daw has them all. I still think overall BW is still easily my favourite, but the analog synth workflow with ableton is aweomse, as is max for live, as is the ability to use the groove pool, etc etc.
Studio one is a great system for mixing - its geared up for it really. I think these days, people seem to use multiple DAWs.
I remember when i started engineering, everyone used pro tools. Gone are those days. Each DAW has chosen to opt for a very specific set of features. So necessarily, BW has chosen to define itself from Live by turning the whole thing into a modular instrument.

Of course, you can do all this and loads, loads more in Max - but other than lunatics like me, who actually does?
Yes its more stripped back than reaktor, but its usable and more to the point, very quick.

To me thats what BW is about; the ability to make electronic music FAST without having to take your focus off your track whilst you spend hours setting things up.
Personally i see a lot of value in that, and whilst there really are some things i would love to have addressed, i appreciate their direction and think its a good move overall.

It is tough and i understand the frustration - for most of us, it is just a few little things that stop this from being perfect, which in a way makes it all the more annoying. If they just gave us a groove pool, made BW NRPN compatible and did made it a bit more efficient, it would be perfect for me and i would never use anything else.
but i have said that about every DAW i have tried over the last few years and for what its worth, BW has come out best for me overall (even if i still have to use other DAWs for specific tasks)

andypryce wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm Seems Bİtwig going for the ''A sound designer/instrument builder'' dream road with an OK DAW on the side. Which is fine. We need that too. It is a joy to use. And Live is going for the workflow lately. Live seems closer to a traditional linear DAW with recent updates.
With BWS 3 and Live 10.1 the paths seem to start separating. They both are getting great.
Bitwig will also be focusing on workflow improvements. This, from the bottom of their BEHIND THE SCENES page on their website (https://www.bitwig.com/en/19/behind-the ... arity.html

LOOKING AHEAD
Bitwig Studio is already a software home for plug-ins of all bit depths, controllers that speak regular MIDI and MPE, and outboard hardware that supports audio, CV, clock, gate, or all of the above. Now that all your components are living in the same tent, we are working on more effortless workflows, for both the studio and the stage. This includes additional devices and modules for sure, but also some new approaches to old problems. We look forward to inviting you in for these enhancements and much more.
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

sagetone wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm
andypryce wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm Seems Bİtwig going for the ''A sound designer/instrument builder'' dream road with an OK DAW on the side. Which is fine. We need that too. It is a joy to use. And Live is going for the workflow lately. Live seems closer to a traditional linear DAW with recent updates.
With BWS 3 and Live 10.1 the paths seem to start separating. They both are getting great.
Bitwig will also be focusing on workflow improvements. This, from the bottom of their BEHIND THE SCENES page on their website (https://www.bitwig.com/en/19/behind-the ... arity.html

LOOKING AHEAD
Bitwig Studio is already a software home for plug-ins of all bit depths, controllers that speak regular MIDI and MPE, and outboard hardware that supports audio, CV, clock, gate, or all of the above. Now that all your components are living in the same tent, we are working on more effortless workflows, for both the studio and the stage. This includes additional devices and modules for sure, but also some new approaches to old problems. We look forward to inviting you in for these enhancements and much more.
This is great :tu:

I think the Grid is a very good development! It sets the foundation for more modules/workflows and removes some important gaps between (sound design) ideas and actually realizing them.
Also, it's the first modular environment which possibly could be displayed and accessed on controllers like the Launchpad Pro or Ableton Push. And yes I think that that could become very useful and remove distraction for some people.
The Grid is also the proof that they managed to get CPU-optimized DSP code compilation right first. Obviously a good performance always will be a benefit for future features as well.

ATM, I see Bitwig Studio as a tool to get very, very quick solutions for prototyping musical/technical ideas.
  • Want to create multisamples from an old cheap keyboard which has a MIDi connection? --> Use Note Delay device with +1 semitone note feedback, a Hardware Instrument device, record it to an audio clip + the Slice-To-Multisample command.
  • Want to misuse a hardware synth? Use the Program change device + modulators + Hardware Instrument device and modulate the program changes using a random modulator. Resample the audio with latency compensated.
  • Want to duck a certain eq frequency of a bass track using a note-triggered envelope of a kick drum track? --> EQ 8 + note side-chain modulator --> done.
  • You have a MIDI keyboard with some drum pads you don't need for playing drums? --> build yourself a simple MIDI-looper using the controller API (have done it with the Korg Triton Taktile 25 and works like charm).
I think the main power of BwS is that you actually can combine stuff to get the stuff you really need.

The real deal for me here: All those useful tools/combinations can be easily saved into presets/clips. All internal modulation/audio routings, devices in FX Slots are saved within the presets/clips. You can save scene clips which can hold multiple clips in multiple tracks and even preview them in the browser.
And then you can REUSE those tools you created because with the Browser it's easy to handle and organize (if not you missed to use collections). You can open multiple projects and drag&drop stuff in between them. You can even unfold projects in the sidebar browser and drag in individual tracks from them.

The components of the program are integrated and connected very well by the devs. And each connection leads to multiple additional use cases. I think that's also why it takes some time to 'simply' add the 'obviously' needed features 'every other DAW already has'. Because they will be integrated into the ecosystem, not just added without thought and longtime preparation.

I'm pretty sure some more audio editing + music information retrieval tools are already planned by the devs. Also they promised online collaboration some years ago. And who knows what else they're planning. And they are listening to user wishes in a good way - not implementing things right away but packing them into bigger, more integrated features which cover the user needs best.

I'm quite curious about how the mentioned
"Modules like envelopes, LFOs, and sequencers all have modulator outputs as well. And just as Bitwig Studio’s modulators can control any parameter in The Grid, any grid signal can be used to modulate child devices."

gonna work compared to Isotonik Signal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEm-xrnYQg
I really like the "cable" based visually rich workflow of it
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

The strange thing with Isotonik Signal is, instead of just using the data flow visuals of Max, they put their own on top of it and that way hide the most interesting power of Max away from the user. The user is now double dependant on Isotonik and Ableton/Cycling74... The left to right flow might be more familiar than the top down of Max for a lot of people, but the price is too high (not the money they ask for)... The Grid looks like a much more flexible solution than Signal ever will be...

xbitz wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:14 pm I'm quite curious about how the mentioned
"Modules like envelopes, LFOs, and sequencers all have modulator outputs as well. And just as Bitwig Studio’s modulators can control any parameter in The Grid, any grid signal can be used to modulate child devices."
I think you're reading too much into this. It's just that - some - modules have modulation output available, like those three, that you can connect to anything within The Grid...

...and to the devices NESTED devices (notice the Note FX / FX slots in The Grid):

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I was thinking about the "child" = Nested devices, IMO it gonna work just like the legacy MOD devices which mean with the usually DC Offset > Audio Rate modulator combo it can be transferred to anywhere, maybe cross device modulation also will be solved who knows
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm I was thinking about the "child" = Nested devices, IMO it gonna work just like the legacy MOD devices which mean with the usually DC Offset > Audio Rate modulator combo it can be transferred to anywhere, maybe cross device modulation also will be solved who knows
Exactly. Or even more precisely, it'd work in line with Bitwig 2.x paradigm (no need to reference legacy MOD devices) where each device has modulators - either in slots or on device itself, like Polysynth's amp and filter envelopes - that can be attached to either this device or devices nested "within" it.
Music tech enthusiast

xbitz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm I was thinking about the "child" = Nested devices...
I think they are going to throw away all the current Bitwig devices and instruments in time and slowly re-enter them, taken apart in useful bits and pieces, within The Grid. Then introduce a clip launcher, an arranger and other DAW-like stuff in it and rename Bitwig to The Omniversal Grid.
Imagine the possibilities when you can load a Bitwig like that on multiple tracks in a Bitwig like that, communicating to each other and outside the box.

SpaceCadetOnLeave wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:36 pmI think they are going to throw away all the current Bitwig devices and instruments in time and slowly re-enter them, taken apart in useful bits and pieces, within The Grid. Then introduce a clip launcher, an arranger and other DAW-like stuff in it and rename Bitwig to The Omniversal Grid.
You should try this: http://www.sensomusic.org/
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”