BITWIG STUDIO 3

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

9 women can't make a baby in a month and I'm sure it's quite hard to renew app development when part of core members left company (otherwise why Bitwig borrows sooo much from Live with no copyright strikes?)

But again, my main wish is only to have something else in addition to Grid. Preferably workflow oriented.
Glad you also like that idea ))

SpaceCadetOnLeave wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:24 pm My first thought was when I saw this Grid thing: hmmm nice but, I wish they would first do some composing- and some MIDI- editing improvements first?
There... I fixed that for you... there is no should. Bitwig can work on whatever they are interested to work on.

SpaceCadetOnLeave wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:24 pm And when I decide I need something like the grid I rather be able to consider between instrument dev's, not a forced upon version of DAW-makers (same as most native nonsense with any DAW btw).
Oh poor little you... forced to use something... oh wait, you can still use any VST regardless of what native devices are there! Imagine that!

Oh, and take Sampler and Simpler out of Ableton Live and the 75% of their users would storm the headquarters! So much for your native nonsense crap...

personally I'm simply using FL Studio as VST(just with the channel rack, luckily Image-Line added the independently loopable channels to FLS some time ago which was the only big missing part of it) in Bitwig, and have the best piano roll with the most usable DAW, case solved

not gonna wait for a proper PR in BWS for another 5 years for sure ...and AL with M4L is still a crashmashine checked it two weeks ago
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 pm personally I'm simply using FL Studio as VST(just with the channel rack, luckily Image-Line added the independently loopable channels to FLS some time ago which was the only big missing part of it) in Bitwig, and have the best piano roll with the most usable DAW, case solved

not gonna wait for a proper PR in BWS for another 5 years for sure ...and AL with M4L is still a crashmashine checked it two weeks ago
Could you please desribe how you used FL Studio as VST just for the Piano roll? I mean i know how to use it as a vst but I have no clue about transferring midi files from FL to Bitwig[apart from the obvious export import method]]

DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am
xbitz wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 am seems we gonna get automation drawing tools soon :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY5UuK6T7R0
freezing addons are nice
YES!!!! That's gonna make it very competitive again. This is great news. Will def keep my BW plan updated as its my favourite and generally awesome. But as im using live a lot again, this is great news.
Good times

That will be useful to edit the stair step automation recording issue in Live that has been there forever!

Maybe they should fix that first!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

--wrong thread

bolba wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:55 pm Yeah, I'm not against Grid etc. I just don't understand why Bitwig devs are ignoring so obvious workflow improvements for 3-4 years in a row already. Especially, when 2.5 was dedicated to usability/small fixes.
Same applies to half-baked solutions such as Cross-fades is. I was hoping it will get improved with point releases. And will get "magic touch" from Bitwig's team. But it didn't happen...

I hope Grid hype will allow them to get more devs on board and get more tiny features done in parallel mode. A lot of time is spent in DAW working with basic instruments, including arrangement/piano roll.
Yeah I get what you're saying. Hopefully after the GRID is released they can get to doing some workflow updates. I'd trade the Grid for getting a few areas on par with Ableton, but I can see that they made a promise and need to keep it.

Hopefully the promised collaboration feature doesn't get in the way of workflow improvements... I'd trade that for "warping" similar to Ableton, or fixing anything else that doesn't perform like a poor mans Ableton substitute.

It's really cool that we're going to have the grid in version 3, even if I probably won't hardly use it. I'm curios to see the improvements to workflow.
I really hope they copy the automation handling from Live. I've requested the stretching and skewing of automation to the Bitwig team a cuople of years ago.

stamp wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:09 pm It's really cool that we're going to have the grid in version 3, even if I probably won't hardly use it. I'm curios to see the improvements to workflow.
I really hope they copy the automation handling from Live. I've requested the stretching and skewing of automation to the Bitwig team a cuople of years ago.
You may well benefit from Grid presets created by other users... even if you don't create stuff yourself

Oh, and I would rather they copy Reaper when it comes to automation...

pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 pmYou may well benefit from Grid presets created by other users... even if you don't create stuff yourself

That's why I think it's cool to have,

What do you think they should copy from Reaper?

Live 10.1 is going to have the best automation editing, at least for my needs.

stamp wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 pmYou may well benefit from Grid presets created by other users... even if you don't create stuff yourself

That's why I think it's cool to have,

What do you think they should copy from Reaper?

Live 10.1 is going to have the best automation editing, at least for my needs.
For one thing... In Reaper with Automation Items, you can duplicate an item and have it linked. Then if you edit one, it edits all iterations. Those iterations can be across tracks as well... and any individual one can be unlinked anytime if you want to edit it separately.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 am For one thing... In Reaper with Automation Items, you can duplicate an item and have it linked. Then if you edit one, it edits all iterations. Those iterations can be across tracks as well... and any individual one can be unlinked anytime if you want to edit it separately.
Well, I have Reaper and never use automation items. Copy and paste does the job.
Frankly, how often does it happen to reuse the same automation shape more then 2/3 times in a track?
I prefer to have better and more flexible ways to shape my automations instead of automation items.
And then keeping track of what's linked with what is more time consuming than a simple copy/paste operation imo.

I don't think Live is allowing arbitrary shapes to be looped and adjusted... didn't see it in the video anyway. Reaper does. There is a bunch of other stuff Reaper does and at least by the Ableton video, Live doesn't. Anyway you asked... not trying to convince you of anything.

Where I would like linked items is not so much in different places, but in the same place with different parameters.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 amFor one thing... In Reaper with Automation Items, you can duplicate an item and have it linked. Then if you edit one, it edits all iterations. Those iterations can be across tracks as well... and any individual one can be unlinked anytime if you want to edit it separately.
Yeah, automation clips is such a blessing you don't really realise you needed until you try them. I could never make myself use Reaper, but they really speed up the work in Reason. Can't begin to imagine how much more convenient it is if there's option to link them!

Anyway, if you're on Bitwig Users Forum on FB please vote on my poll about linked clips - that'd be a step towards the right direction.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”