found these ones,

Zoom to fit all or section
Zoom to fix selection

Arranger:
Jump Backward 8 Bars ... Jump to Previous Cue Marker
Launch from Beginning of Arrangement ... Launch Previous Cue marker
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:10 pm Zoom to fit all or section
I already emailed support about this one...

Imho, this is meant to be a goodie but I don´t like that everything about zooming out is only zoom to fit related...
I am missing a toggle between the selection and the previous zoom level, which is mostly different than a zoom to fit...
if a project is growing I mostly work on a zoom level of about 32 bars for the main arranging... for detailed work I really like to zoom to selection but after that I would like to go back to my 32 bar zoom and not to the i.e. 215 bars of the whole project, which zoom to fit all would bring me...

Is there "open VSTi" shortkey? I requested it once. Thanks! :)

keel wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm Is there "open VSTi" shortkey? I requested it once. Thanks! :)
There can be multiple instruments on a track, they can be in a Instrument selector, they can be in Instrument layer. Which one should this shortcut trigger?

yepp, still the using multiple monitors and dropping the devices to the non-primary one + Floating windows follow current track (option) is a possible solution here (luckily BWS saves the plugin positions ...)

Trancit wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:17 pm
xbitz wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:10 pm Zoom to fit all or section
I already emailed support about this one...

Imho, this is meant to be a goodie but I don´t like that everything about zooming out is only zoom to fit related...
I am missing a toggle between the selection and the previous zoom level, which is mostly different than a zoom to fit...
if a project is growing I mostly work on a zoom level of about 32 bars for the main arranging... for detailed work I really like to zoom to selection but after that I would like to go back to my 32 bar zoom and not to the i.e. 215 bars of the whole project, which zoom to fit all would bring me...
+1 on return to previous Zoom level

Enrize wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:24 pm
keel wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm Is there "open VSTi" shortkey? I requested it once. Thanks! :)
There can be multiple instruments on a track, they can be in a Instrument selector, they can be in Instrument layer. Which one should this shortcut trigger?
The main synth, thats why I wrote "VSTi". Dunno Bitwig, if there can be load many synths in same time. But at least Ableton have a shortcut key to pop up the "main" synth.

keel wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:39 pm
The main synth, thats why I wrote "VSTi". Dunno Bitwig, if there can be load many synths in same time. But at least Ableton have a shortcut key to pop up the "main" synth.
You can already set it. It's listed under toggle device window. I hit D to bring up the device panel and then V to open the vst.

ckam03 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:23 pm
You can already set it. It's listed under toggle device window. I hit D to bring up the device panel and then V to open the vst.
Yeah, except when you are working in note editor. Then you have to switch between device panel and note editor like crazy. Not good. They should simply learn from Studio One on shortcuts, works like charm. There, you can assign a key to the VSTi or FX and bring it up no matter where you are and you dont need to care about any focus etc. The plugin window just pops up where you need it to.

Coloss wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:33 am
ckam03 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:23 pm
Yeah, except when you are working in note editor. Then you have to switch between device panel and note editor like crazy. Not good. They should simply learn from Studio One on shortcuts, works like charm. There, you can assign a key to the VSTi or FX and bring it up no matter where you are and you dont need to care about any focus etc. The plugin window just pops up where you need it to.
Must be so difficult to hit a couple extra keys. I know it's not as ideal but it doesn't slow me down at all.

Once you experience something better, its hard to go back. It's annoying to say the least for me.

Coloss wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 am Once you experience something better, its hard to go back. It's annoying to say the least for me.
I have experienced something better. I used Cubase for a long time before I switched to Bitwig and again, it's not slowing me down. It was annoying until I realized that pressing D brings up the device panel and always puts the VST in focus. Literally 1 extra key press. D, V. If the editor is up, D V again. Or E D V. You must have to look at the keyboard to type anything :D

ckam03 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:51 pm
Coloss wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 am Once you experience something better, its hard to go back. It's annoying to say the least for me.
I have experienced something better. I used Cubase for a long time before I switched to Bitwig and again, it's not slowing me down. It was annoying until I realized that pressing D brings up the device panel and always puts the VST in focus. Literally 1 extra key press. D, V. If the editor is up, D V again. Or E D V. You must have to look at the keyboard to type anything :D
That doesn't work if there are any devices in the chain before the VST, or if you have selected something else on that track before returning to it, including any of the note manipulation devices which is a pretty common thing. It also doesn't work to quickly close any open VST window, unless you have the devices selected in the chain (not the VST window) - which makes no sense to me. If I'm working on the VST and want to close its GUI, why would I ever click the device panel first then use a shortcut instead of clicking the little X on the VST border? I love how Reaper has a universal behavior of ESC closing absolutely anything that is open and in focus.

I agree that these aren't big deals, but I think they are low hanging fruit.

EDIT: This post caused me to fiddle with everything more, and I realized a couple things. If you press D, and there are devices before the VST, you can use the arrows to move to it then press your open-VST shortcut key. If the VST window is focused and you want to quickly close it, you can press ESC first which apparently defocuses it and selects the device panel in the chain again (even though there is no visual cue that it has defocused), and you can use your toggle-VST shortcut key again. I'm not sure this is all faster than the mouse, and if it behaves differently depending on devices and focus, then it requires you to mentally parse that instead of just hitting a key to open and close without fail. Again, not a big deal, but something you do a thousand times while working on project.

EDIT AGAIN: The above behavior doesn't work on Windows. All of this is wildly inconsistent, which is why I never got used to using it. Sorry about the thread spam.
Last edited by shadiradio on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

^^^ "That doesn't work if there are any devices in the chain before the VST," it works for me if I click on it in the sidebar

xbitz wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:45 pm ^^^ "That doesn't work if there are any devices in the chain before the VST," it works for me if I click on it in the sidebar
Bitwig remembers the last device you clicked on when going back to a track (I think), so if any other devices are clicked then you leave and come back, that device (not the VST) will be selected again.

BUT, now the toggle shortcut is working for me even if the VST window is even focus. I swear it wasn't before, for many versions - maybe it's different on Mac & PC (I use both), or maybe they've fixed that in some patch. :|

Return to “Bitwig”