Bitwig 2.5 clip blicks... what?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uh... what is this feature? how do we use it? is there any docu or tutorial? did not get it. thx

WELCOME TO CLIP BLOCKS
Teaching your clips new tricks.
Whether building an arrangement or crafting a performance, clip launching is essential to any modern DAW. And with the added concept of clip blocks, new arrangement possibilities are now available.
By leaving a blank slot between a group of clips, you have now defined separate clip blocks that Bitwig Studio’s Next Action feature can jump between. Treat these blocks as sections, and now your clips can automatically navigate your arrangement. Possibilities abound.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Still not sure what use this will be for me.

Not really seeing anything it can do that could not already be done. It's not like it allows one to say loop a set of clips 3 times, then move to a new section.

You can now make full arrangements in Launcher.

Hey, was this page up earlier today? https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_5.html

I just found it right now because I was curious where xbitz got the quote. It sure clears up some things for me.
-JH

we will able to create nice xmas lights with Push for sure :-D
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

JHernandez wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:12 pm Hey, was this page up earlier today? https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_5.html

I just found it right now because I was curious where xbitz got the quote. It sure clears up some things for me.
The Clip Blocks cannot actually the do the signal flow as represented in that diagram. Only randomly. Not specifically.
Last edited by pdxindy on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrize wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:03 pm You can now make full arrangements in Launcher.
Describe how that would be done that is different than now.

I'd like to understand what extra this offers as well.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Auto slide, click blicks... puzzled here.

It’s for folks who play live.

In 2.4 you could either move to first/last/next/random clip in general or first/last/next/random within a block, ie. a group of clips separated from other clips with a blank slot.

In 2.5 they've added options to also move between blocks of clips, so - in addition to the above - you can now move to first/last/random clip in previous or next block.

:)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

hey antic604, thanks! that's what i was missing...

Thats actually pretty cool.. not usefull 100% of the time but yeah...

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:59 pm In 2.4 you could either move to first/last/next/random clip in general or first/last/next/random within a block, ie. a group of clips separated from other clips with a blank slot.

In 2.5 they've added options to also move between blocks of clips, so - in addition to the above - you can now move to first/last/random clip in previous or next block.

:)
It's slightly more capable... but just barely. Looks like pretty much a non feature to me.

I can already move between blocks of clips now... just don't put a gap. I suppose for people that do random stuff, it offers a bit more. For making a specific arrangement, I see no real use.

It's not like there is some sort of 'Song' mode where you can do Clip Block 1, repeat 3 times, Go to Clip Block 2, etc.

The only reason I can imagine Bitwig using this as the first feature on the 2.5 page is if it is a first step in a larger concept. Otherwise a number of the barely mentioned features are more interesting/useful than this.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:37 pmI suppose for people that do random stuff, it offers a bit more. For making a specific arrangement, I see no real use.
You might want to trigger a scene to create a build-up before automatically launching into a new clip block for the chorus/drop. That's just the first example of a usage that comes to my mind.

Return to “Bitwig”