arturia keylab mk2 & bitwig | anyone tried it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I allready did write them ;)
But i still wanted to try, if i can get the flexi-script working for the functions i need and expect. Many other aspects draw me to this Controller. And if it doesn't work well, it's going back...
But then again i don't know what to get for my needs...
It seems there is no perfect daw-controller-keyboard for bitwig out there ;)

Not tried it, but i am using Bitwig now (And freaking loving it) and i have a Keylab mk2 sitting in the corner gathering dust.
I got a Kontrol 49 and since then haven't used it much. I WOULD still use it as i upgraded to v collection 6 recently.....BUT from my memory, most of the presets weren't even mapped to the keyboard properly, if at all.
I found that really frustrating, and as thy have now released another keyboard, i doubt it will get much better.
Cheers
David

What other keyboard the Keylab Mk 2 is the latest keyboard by arturia as far as I know
its not been out that long, are you sure your talking about the Mk 2 ?????

cheers
kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

Guys, if there's no proper script for your controller just d/l Driven by Moss and use Flexi to make your own script - no coding is required: just pick an action from a drop-down, press key / move knob/slider and repeat. It's super easy, can be saved and used in all projects.

I used it for my Akai MPK Mini Mk2 to connect knobs to macros on currently selected device and pads to control transport, mute/solo and moving through devices' chain.

https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMoss/wiki
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yes I agree Mr Moss`s scripts are the muts nuts
but when you buy the keylab MK 2 you get nice plastic overlays for the buttons for most of the daws
except BW
there are so many new controllers coming out and hardly any support BW out of the box
perhaps BW needs to do a few tie in deals with these companies
for example, when I got my keylab 25 it came with a full version of BW1 ( not a demo or 8 track )
in fact that's how I got to hear about BW. I know that was a few years ago now and BW needed to build there user base
and I wouldn't expect them to give away v2, but as 8 track was free on a magazine
they could put that in the box or even a special time limited full v2 with the option to join in with the upgrade plan
and that might encourage the companies to make there product work with Bw out of the box

There has to be a reason why nobody is supporting out of the box
I mentioned this on face book and BW said they would see what they could do and maybe have a word with arturia
I was going to get this controller for xmas, but as it doesn't fully support BW, I got a icon platform M+ & D2 instead
just saying
cheers
Kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

So,
I tried it and for me i can't really recommend it. I didn't even try the integration into bitwig much because there are other things i don't like.
- For aftertouch you have to press the keys with far to much strength.
- Knobs and faders resistance is varying.
- the main selection-wheel and the faderknobs are slightly crooked at my unit.
- fader-knobs are very small.
- the keyboard is very flat. it's hard to read the display when you are sitting and if you have a typing-keyboard in front its hard to play.

Keys and Mod/Pitch-Wheel seem very good but it's just not for me.
Bitwig-support could get better in future though as i have written to both bitwig and arturia-support and they both seem to be interested to get it integrated better.

I decided to get a second-hand mpk 261 and a bitwig upgrade plan instead ;)

I don't understand why their product page mentions Bitwig support when it doesn't even have the metallic overlay. I couldn't find any review showing it work & when I looked at an upclose review of the knob dialing the DAW, Bitwig wasn't listed. You guys show that Support from both companies are shrugging their shoulders about it too. No actual plan! I should've known Bitwig would be snubbed when I also saw that Reason was on the supported list.

By George, Arturia has done it again! I was looking to buy one of these but I'll give it a pass. I'm gonna check out the Nektar and Novation and see how they're doing. Nektar seems to be the only one that has a real DAW integration.

Perhaps Bitwig/Reason will show up in MkIII.

Man, that's a real shame to hear- but I'm glad I saw this. I was thinking about buying one of these to use for Berklee's "keyboard for electronic musicians" course because it looked like a pretty well bitchin' piece of hardware. It looks like it might be time to shop around again.
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

Return to “Bitwig”