Random modulator not syncing to Start/Play

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to use the random modulator with a slow change - 2nd bar or 4 bars, and it doesn't seem to sync when I click play so it means that the change itself can be anywhere within the 2 bars which isn't too useful really. The trigger mode is set to "Sync" which I presume would do that.

Anybody know how to fix it so that the random cycle begins on beat?

If I want a random modulator value every two or four bars I use the "Classic LFO", Sync Option "Beats", Temposync as appropriate, LFO1 Shape "Sample and Hold" (or smoothed), Bipolar as desired, and Retrigger "Off".

The random modulator is too random for me. Ha!

seems ok if it drives a tempo synced Sample and Hold modulator as a proxy
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I’m using it with a third party vst - reverberate to control the mix.

dckyoto wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:50 am I'm trying to use the random modulator with a slow change - 2nd bar or 4 bars, and it doesn't seem to sync when I click play so it means that the change itself can be anywhere within the 2 bars which isn't too useful really. The trigger mode is set to "Sync" which I presume would do that.

Anybody know how to fix it so that the random cycle begins on beat?
This sounds like my gripe with the new "Note Counter" introduced in 2.3. The sync start (reset to 0) doesn't happen when you stop and then restart the arranger transport. I've put in feature requests for stuff like that. Certain things like Note Counter, Random, and so on should IMO definitely reset when the transport is stopped and then started again.

yes, exactly.. it's no good if they match the beat but offset randomly...

Yokai wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:39 am This sounds like my gripe with the new "Note Counter" introduced in 2.3. The sync start (reset to 0) doesn't happen when you stop and then restart the arranger transport.
Good to see others have requested this as well. :tu: I'm also hoping for Reset and Count-down on note release.

^^^ at least it can be solved with Steps automation
the first note -which resets the counter- will have the zero index so it's not a mindfuck at least
--
and with the synced Sample and Holding the Random modulator also works

Can you explain a bit more how you set that up? I can't quite make out what you have mapped to what.

^^^ nothing extra
15.18.6.3. Sample and Hold
A processor that sustains (or holds) an incoming signal's value at the moment of each clock event. The way to pass a signal into the module for processing is by modulating the Input parameter with any other modulator(s). The Smooth parameter represents the transition time between successive samples.
The sampling clock can be set to various metronomic values (such as 4th for quarter notes, 1/8. for dotted eighth notes, bar for one measure at the project's current tempo, etc.), to free time values (either hertz [Hz] or kilohertz [kHz]), to the Pitch of the latest received note message, or to Hold, which keeps the output signal from changing. This base clock rate can then be scaled by the adjacent modulation knob, which at center is 1.00 (100% or no change), at far left is 0.02 (2%) , and at far right is 50.00 (5,000% or 50x).
At bottom, this device offers three modes of operation. Free allows the sampling clock to run independently, Gate restarts the clock whenever a new note message is received, and Sync restarts the clock whenever the transport is started.
the magic is the last sentence ..." and Sync restarts the clock whenever the transport is started." dunno why the others not working this way :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ok, I still couldn't get Sample and Hold to lock to the bpm either in sync mode... very strange. It seems that Sync just doesn't want to work on this track.

Also, I think there should be a Sync and an Offset dial too, so you can match it to off-beats too.

In your example above could it be that Sync is working when you hit record only?

Return to “Bitwig”